Confused - Is running bad... or good... ?!

Options

Replies

• nataliejulie
    Options
    I'm asking because I read an article on Shape where the writer said if you run and burn, say 200, calories... it's the same thing as just *not* eating 200 calories. And that if you're looking to get in shape, and healthy, you're better off doing other exercises.

It really bummed me out.

I just want to say that 2 months ago, I probably couldn't run across a parking lot. Last night, I ran almost 4 miles. I was so proud of myself, and felt so awesome after my run. I absolutely LOVE running, and when I read that article on Shape, it felt like someone punched me in my belly.

Also, I do circuit training and weight training a few days a week. Although, running is my go-to because I love it so much (I run 5-6 days a week).

Thank you, everyone!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm asking because I read an article on Shape where the writer said if you run and burn, say 200, calories... it's the same thing as just *not* eating 200 calories. And that if you're looking to get in shape, and healthy, you're better off doing other exercises.

It really bummed me out.

I just want to say that 2 months ago, I probably couldn't run across a parking lot. Last night, I ran almost 4 miles. I was so proud of myself, and felt so awesome after my run. I absolutely LOVE running, and when I read that article on Shape, it felt like someone punched me in my belly.

Also, I do circuit training and weight training a few days a week. Although, running is my go-to because I love it so much (I run 5-6 days a week).

Thank you, everyone!

The article probably meant for weight loss you are better off cutting 200 than burning 200 from running. But running strengthens the heart and may help you achieve athletic goals you couldn't reach by cutting the 200. As for other exercise they probably meant strength training, as if you strength train while losing weight you will retain the most of the muscle you already have and lose mostly fat, instead of losing both fat and muscle as is the case from pure cardio in a deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

It really bummed me out.

Thank you, everyone!

how far you run is going to change the calorie burn...200 calories isn't a very long run...I can assure you that you burned more than 200 calories running 4 miles.

But to the author's point...what is essentially being said is that exercise in general is an inefficient way of creating a calorie deficit...it is much more efficient to create your deficit with diet. There is no difference between eating 200 calories less or burning 200 calories with exercise.

Essentially...diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Running is absolutely one of the best cardiovascular fitness activities you can do...you just have to realize that there is far more to exercise than just burning calories...it's just kind of a nice side effect of moving and getting your fitness on...the other health benefits far outweigh the calorie burn.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No exercise is useless for weight loss, because all exercise burns calories. Saying exercise is useless for weight is about as silly as saying eating less is useless for weight loss.

You need to consume less calories than you burn to lose fat. Whether you do that by burning more or eating less or a combination of both it will still work.

Running is good for you. Like any exercise, you can overdo it, but if everything one can overdo is considered bad, then pretty much everything is bad.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There are different types of running... If you are talking about long-distance running, then it may cause WEIGHT loss, but it actually isn't good for FAT loss, or for cardio.

---Why is it not good for fat loss? Because it is fueled by bodyfat. While this may sound ideal for fat loss, you are actually training your body to depend on fat reserves to fuel your most-demanding activity of the day. Your body will, therefore, seek to maintain a fat reserve. See how many marathoners have six-packs (almost none).

--Why is it not good for cardio? Because you are training your heart a relatively low intensity, and your body will attempt to become more efficient. While this also SOUNDS great, it really means that you will start shedding any heart muscle your body decides that it doesn't need to pump blood during the non-maximal training.

Sprinting, on the other hand, is also running. Because it is too intense to be fueled by fat, you will train your body to store energy in muscle tissue instead (see how many sprinters have six-packs? Most of them). It is also much better cardio, because it taxes the heart beyond its comfort zone. Much like training your biceps to lift a two-hundred pound dumbbell once instead of a two-pound dumbbell a hundred times; the first will increase muscle mass, the second will not. Why do you want more muscle mass? Because sometimes you may NEED it. If you heart has a sudden shock, and you've shed a lot of cardiac mass to endurance training, you may have problems. Cf. Jim Fix, the inventor of the jogging craze, who died when his heart actually started LEAKING blood because he lost so much cardiac tissue...

This post is so full of fail, I don't even know where to start. :ohwell:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I do like running, and I feel amazing afterwards. It helped my waist become smaller but my thighs just got bigger. I lost most of the flab around my face though.

That said, running appears to be bad for my knees. I can do up to 10km at a slow pace but every time I step it up and try to improve my pace, even over short distances, my knees give in again. I'm back to cycling now, burns just as many calories without the impact on my knees.

Do you have good running shoes that were fit by someone who knew what they were doing?
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    To the OP: We exercise because it is good for us. I happen to love running, and as another poster said, it is difficult to find a more calorie expensive exercise. And I really LOVE eating back all of those calories that I burn.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing two sides to this story and I'm hoping someone can clarify this. I've heard, and done research, that running is useless in regards to weight loss. But the other side to this, I've read that running is one of the best types of cardio exercises.

The second statement in indubitably correct. The first statement is "kind of" correct - if someone eats like an idiot, they're going to have weight or body composition problems no matter how much they run.

However, that also applies to every other form of exercise, as well.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    ---Why is it not good for fat loss? Because it is fueled by bodyfat. While this may sound ideal for fat loss, you are actually training your body to depend on fat reserves to fuel your most-demanding activity of the day.

This is completely wrong. The human body cannot draw anywhere near the energy necessary for running from fat reserves. The vast majority of running energy is provided by carbohydrates, either stored or ingested.
    --Why is it not good for cardio? Because you are training your heart a relatively low intensity, and your body will attempt to become more efficient. While this also SOUNDS great, it really means that you will start shedding any heart muscle your body decides that it doesn't need to pump blood during the non-maximal training.

This is also incorrect. The easiest safest way to raise your base caloric burn is to get cardiovascularly fit - BMR goes *up* in well-tuned athletes, not down, even after adjusting for LBM.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Sprinting is an anaerobic activity that requires muscle mass to be efficient.

Nope, that's not right, either (at least in the way it's generally meant on MFP).

For starters, the canonical great endurance runners (i.e., the rake-thin East Africans) run sprint distances faster than 99.999% of the population, so they *are* sprinters as well. Hell, their 5k pace alone is faster than almost anyone on MFP could manage for a measly 200m.

And here is a photo of an Olympic gold medalist sprinter...

20030811005tewksbry180.jpg

That skinny dude, with 19th century level training and diet concepts, ran 200m within 10% of Usain Bolt's "fastest ever" time.

The idea you need to be muscle-bulky to be extremely quick and fast is a myth.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For starters, the canonical great endurance runners (i.e., the rake-thin East Africans) run sprint distances faster than 99.999% of the population, so they *are* sprinters as well. Hell, their 5k pace alone is faster than almost anyone on MFP could manage for a measly 200m.

LOL. +1
    Take the finals of the 2012 Olympics 5k. last place ran a 13:52. The winner, a Brit (albeit of Somali descent), finished in 13:41. That's 164.2 seconds per 1 km, average, or 16.42 100m or 32.84 200m. But the finals were slow. The winner ran a 13:26 in an earlier heat. The 2008 winner, also the WR holder, won in 12:57. That's 15s 100m or 30-31s 200m range. Most humans can't do that (yes, a lot can too)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sprinting is an anaerobic activity that requires muscle mass to be efficient.

Nope, that's not right, either (at least in the way it's generally meant on MFP).

And here is a photo of an Olympic gold medalist sprinter...

20030811005tewksbry180.jpg

That skinny dude, with 19th century level training and diet concepts, ran 200m within 10% of Usain Bolt's "fastest ever" time.

The idea you need to be muscle-bulky to be extremely quick and fast is a myth.
    I said mass, not "bulk." Tewksbury doesn't look that skinny to me, but it's difficult to judge considering he's sitting down. Also, Tewksbury's 200m time at the 1900 Olympics was over 3 seconds slower than Bolt's, and he was also a full second slower than the world record at the time.

I didn't say you needed to be a powerlifter or bodybuilder to sprint, just that sprinters have more muscle mass relative to a marathoner.

LOL. +1
    Take the finals of the 2012 Olympics 5k. last place ran a 13:52. The winner, a Brit (albeit of Somali descent), finished in 13:41. That's 164.2 seconds per 1 km, average, or 16.42 100m or 32.84 200m. But the finals were slow. The winner ran a 13:26 in an earlier heat. The 2008 winner, also the WR holder, won in 12:57. That's 15s 100m or 30-31s 200m range. Most humans can't do that (yes, a lot can too)
    That's fast, and a lot of normal weekend warriors can't touch that pace, however, a 31 second 200m is over 10 seconds slower than the typical 20 second or under pace of an Olympic level sprinter.
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    how far you run is going to change the calorie burn...200 calories isn't a very long run...I can assure you that you burned more than 200 calories running 4 miles.

I gave the 200 calories example because that's the example Shape used -- sorry! I can't say exactly how many calories I burn for a run, because they are different on any given day. Let's say I go for a run for an hour; I will run, do a brisk walk for no more than 10 minutes, then continue to run again. But yes, I'm burning way more than 200, lol.

Thanks everyone! Really good information, though still a little confusing.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't think a single person has really addressed her question...

Ok, this is the bottom line:

Diet = Lose/Maintain/Gain weight
    Cardio = Most time efficient way to burn calories & improve cardiovascular health
    Lifting = Less efficient but great way to burn carlories & maintain/build muscle

Cardio is not necessary to burn fat, nor does it "target" fat any better than other forms of exercise. It just burns more calories per minute, generally.

You should pickup a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women. You will thank me later, it answers all kinds of questions like this and it's easy to read.
  • sgupstate
    sgupstate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend runs and it has helped him lose like 20 pounds. He is also doing weights though too. I am at a happy weight but I just started running too for the cardiovascular since I only do pilates/yoga and some weights. I think it seems good to do in combination with weights for a balance?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

It really bummed me out.

Thank you, everyone!

So you found an exercise that you love doing and because some magazine article said you should just eat less, you're considering giving it up? I would suggest just giving up your Shape subscription. You'll be better off. Next month, they'll probably publish an article about how wonderful running is. Their job is to sell magazines - they don't really care how they do it. Every issue is full of contradictory information.

Run because you like it and it's good for your health and fitness. Keep a calorie deficit to lose weight (track and weigh all your food, be accurate and consistent). Keep doing strength training. Be sure to take a rest day every week so you don't burn yourself out.

And stop reading Shape!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Arsenic is bad for you. Running is not.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

It really bummed me out.

Thank you, everyone!

So you found an exercise that you love doing and because some magazine article said you should just eat less, you're considering giving it up? I would suggest just giving up your Shape subscription. You'll be better off. Next month, they'll probably publish an article about how wonderful running is. Their job is to sell magazines - they don't really care how they do it. Every issue is full of contradictory information.

Run because you like it and it's good for your health and fitness. Keep a calorie deficit to lose weight (track and weigh all your food, be accurate and consistent). Keep doing strength training. Be sure to take a rest day every week so you don't burn yourself out.

And stop reading Shape!!! :laugh: :laugh:

This. Shape is bullsh*t!
  • hotpixeldev
    Options
    Theres one huge problem with running if your heavy. It knackers your joints because of the extra pressure. Your better off doing other cardio stuff like using cross trainers like someone else said to make a deficit
  • SkyVeiled
    Options
    Sure are a lot of exploding knees in here