Bread Machine Recipes

Options
Hi all!

I just got a bread machine and I was so super excited to start making healthy, nutritious whole wheat bread at home until I used the whole wheat recipe that came with the machine and realized that the bread is very calorically dense with a nutritional profile that I'm not really happy with.

I was hoping that one of my fellow MFP'ers would have a great recipe/recipes that might be more what I'm looking for!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My favorite bread recipe is the simplest. I use 3 cups of flour, one cup of water, a teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of yeast (I like the fluffier version). It's pretty low calorie, about as low as bread can get because it is so basic. I usually use just white all purpose flour, but have mixed with with whole wheat at a 50/50 ratio. I haven't figured out how to do just whole wheat flour quite right yet, it usually ends up too dense for my tastes.

ETA- I use way more yeast than is normal, most recipes call for 1 or 1.5 tsps for that amount of flour.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/breads/r/quinoaoatmealbread.htm

I made this the other day.
    I left out the honey and sugar (mainly because I don't like it) and substituted a 2/3 1/3 Greek yoghurt and skim milk mix for the buttermilk (didn't have any) and butter. Turned out really nicely.
    Now, this is still bread so it still got quite a few calories (I think about 190 for 100 g) as well as carbs(32/100), but it also got loads of complete protein (9/100) :)

ETA: also got 2/100 fat
  • Windzer
    Windzer Posts: 104
    Options
    IN for life
  • OatFloats
    Options
    My favorite bread recipe is the simplest. I use 3 cups of flour, one cup of water, a teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of yeast (I like the fluffier version). It's pretty low calorie, about as low as bread can get because it is so basic. I usually use just white all purpose flour, but have mixed with with whole wheat at a 50/50 ratio. I haven't figured out how to do just whole wheat flour quite right yet, it usually ends up too dense for my tastes.

ETA- I use way more yeast than is normal, most recipes call for 1 or 1.5 tsps for that amount of flour.

My breadmaker suggests no more than 40% wholewheat in the mix. I have done about 33% with spelt and it turns out heavenly.
  • 79smudge
    79smudge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Like all bread machine recipes, some tinkering with amounts is indicated, but this works for my Cuisinart bread machine:

2 cups water
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbls sugar
    2 tbls olive oil
    4 cups (packed) unbleached bread flour
    1/2 cup steel cut oats
    3 tbls whole flax seed (roasted or raw)
    3 tbls chia seeds
    3/4 tsp yeast

Place the ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order given starting with the water and ending with the yeast. Select a 2 lbs loaf with dark crust. My machine takes 3 hours 30 minutes to make this loaf. You may want to scrape down the sides early in the mixing to be sure to incorporate all the ingredients. I do not have to do that with my bread machine.
  • SashleyA
    Options

My breadmaker suggests no more than 40% wholewheat in the mix. I have done about 33% with spelt and it turns out heavenly.

Interesting! I wonder if it varies breadmaker to breadmaker, because mine is just fine on the 50/50. Good to know that my attempts at pure whole wheat are not just me failing.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Interesting! I wonder if it varies breadmaker to breadmaker, because mine is just fine on the 50/50. Good to know that my attempts at pure whole wheat are not just me failing.

This recipe is very similar to the No Knead Artisan bread that I was making up until I got the bread machine. My daughter and I both loved it, but it was a pain so it makes me super happy to see that I can do it in my bread maker as well! This must be about a 1 1/2 lb loaf I'm thinking? What setting do you use on your machine? Maybe still the whole wheat setting? The recipe that I used that came with my machine was all whole wheat flour so the recommendation must vary from machine to machine.

Thank you all for your responses! This is great :smile:
  • SashleyA
    Options

This recipe is very similar to the No Knead Artisan bread that I was making up until I got the bread machine. My daughter and I both loved it, but it was a pain so it makes me super happy to see that I can do it in my bread maker as well! This must be about a 1 1/2 lb loaf I'm thinking? What setting do you use on your machine? Maybe still the whole wheat setting? The recipe that I used that came with my machine was all whole wheat flour so the recommendation must vary from machine to machine.

I use the french bread setting with a light crust.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of profile you're looking for, but this is my favorite so far as far as taste:

1 cup + 1 T hot water (I shoot for 130F)
    1 T milk
    2 T olive oil
    1/4 cup honey
    2 T vital wheat gluten
    2 T wheat germ
    1 t salt
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup bread flour
    1.5 t active dry yeast
    1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds

I put everything in the pan in that order, besides the seeds, which go in the "extras" compartment on my machine. Wheat setting, light, 1 lb. Seeds are optional but give the bread a nice texture.

At about 15 slices/loaf, a slice has: Cal.138 Pro.5 Fat.3 Carb.24 Fiber.3.

ETA, when I remember, I also add 2 T ground flax. Sometimes I have to up the water by a t or 2 when I do it.
  • OatFloats
    Options

I have yet to venture into the world of pure wholewheat. I carried my breadmaker home (on a half mile hike) triumphantly only Saturday. The recommendation for maximum 40% wholemeal flour in combination with regular bread flour is mentioned in the section where it talks about Whole wheat flour. It actually says never to use all wheat flour in recipes, but then of course it contradicts itself by saying to use 50/50 wholewheat and regular bread flour in its wholewheat bread recipe! But it is good to see the experience of others when using new things!

Just for reference:
    My machine only goes up to 1 and 1/2 pounds but that is plenty for me.
    I am using the Basic setting, using the recipe for Fruit and Nut bread, which calls for 2 and 3/4th cup of flour.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

I use the french bread setting with a light crust.

This is great! Thanks! I'm going to give it a try as soon as I can rid of some more of this first batch!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all the great recipes!
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    try this site,best baking recipes especially bread.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/back-of-the-bag-oatmeal-bread-recipe
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    add peperonis or chilli and bit olive oil and spicy salami stripes or ham cubes :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    add peperonis or chilli and bit olive oil and spicy salami stripes or ham cubes :)

Actually I have seen a few recipes for pepperoni and cheese bread or ham and cheese bread and thought that would be a great idea for my daughters lunch!
  • ljzylstra
    Options
    I'll have to try this recipe. Any idea how long this would bake in the oven? My bread always seems to turn out better if I just use the dough setting on my bread machine and bake it in the oven.