How do stress and sleep patterns affect progress?

Options
Hi everyone

Just talking through with a friend at work about the fluctuations and weight 'bounce' that I'm getting now at lower weights but didn't get at higher weights the same way and it's occurred to me that lately I've been super stressed and not sleeping well.

I'm often stressed (work/life both pretty tough at times) but I've worked 18 weeks straight and I'm kinda running on empty, yet not sleeping enough to make me feel rested. (I've tried, but insomnia and stress are great mates and they gang up on me). I'm visibly tired, have the purple smudges under my eyes and have to drag myself awake. I'm also hypothyroid so when I say tired, I literally mean exhausted to the bone.

Basic question - could my stress and sleep be affecting my progress?

Next level question - therefore, once I'm on holidays in a month, should this improve?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Hey look, we're twins...in our stress levels and their effects.

Yes, stress and lack of sleep can affect your progress, though no one can tell you how much. I think my progress issues are more related to stress eating in addition to the stress and insomnia.
  • KatieGrz
    KatieGrz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As omma_to_3 said, yes, it stress and lack of sleep can effect your progress.

When I was in law school, I was a giant stress ball but was able to maintain my weight because I exercised like a fiend. On the other hand, when I was studying for the bar exam, the stress became way too much and I couldn't sleep at all.

Some people think herbal remedies are controversial, but valerian root and St. John's Wort were my saving graces during that time. The valerian root put me right to sleep, even when I was most stressed. After taking it, I don't think I could stay awake for longer than an hour. And the St. John's Wort helped calm the stress.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What about melatonin?
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    As omma_to_3 said, yes, it stress and lack of sleep can effect your progress.

When I was in law school, I was a giant stress ball but was able to maintain my weight because I exercised like a fiend. On the other hand, when I was studying for the bar exam, the stress became way too much and I couldn't sleep at all.

Some people think herbal remedies are controversial, but valerian root and St. John's Wort were my saving graces during that time. The valerian root put me right to sleep, even when I was most stressed. After taking it, I don't think I could stay awake for longer than an hour. And the St. John's Wort helped calm the stress.

I do take a herbal sleep aid but not regularly, might look into the valerian. I'm not allowed St John's Wort - it's on the hypothyroid no-no list for some reason, i forget why.

I'm lucky in that I don't stress eat, but I stress starve, which, when you have a metabolic disorder, can be as bad if not worse for your metabolism!

My current plan for the next month involves strength work, getting into my usual summer diet of salads and fruit, lean meat and water, trying to relax and catch up on some sleep where possible, and hoping like hell the scales catch up with my body. I took measurements again last night and in two weeks i've fluctuated within 5kg but lost 2 inches off my hips, one off my waist, and 1.5 off my thighs

This sooooo should just be a simple equation but nature doesn't like those.
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've decided my weight loss happens when I'm asleep. When I get no rest, my body holds onto the weight. When I keep all the variables the same except I get less sleep, my weight loss slows down considerably. It has to be the lack of sleep.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    stress could make you eat more, or less which could affect weightloss, and lack of sleep can mess up metabolism too
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I've decided my weight loss happens when I'm asleep. When I get no rest, my body holds onto the weight. When I keep all the variables the same except I get less sleep, my weight loss slows down considerably. It has to be the lack of sleep.

fingers crossed that this is what will happen for me too :)
  • KingaS32
    Options
    Hmm good point
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    2 things i`ve learnt to control are stress and sleep.

I relieve the stress in the gym every morning so the rest of my day goes well.
    i sleep 8 hours min. per day to ensure recovery.

my body has never been more grateful. it does exactly what I want it to be it gaining weight(mass) or losing fat.
  • trudijoy
    Options

my body has never been more grateful. it does exactly what I want it to be it gaining weight(mass) or losing fat.

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to sleep 8 hours a day :) If only!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    good sleep, good eating and good exercise !! all are related in a cycle. Dont know whether linked to weight loss directly or not.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to sleep 8 hours a day :) If only!

Me too. It would be heaven! I get 5 to 6 hours a night. I don't have trouble falling asleep but I wake up obscenely early. Today it was a little after 5. I didn't need to get up until 6:30.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    update: went on some herbal sleep pills, spent half the weekend asleep, and boom, back to lowest weight, minus another kilogram for good measure.

i think i know where my issue was!