Elliptical as a substitute for C25k

Options
I realize this may be a dumb question, but with the weather turning cold, I wanted to get your opinions!

I have been doing c25k for about four weeks. Have been doing 1.8 miles in 24 mins or so (I realize this is very slow). What I'm wondering is: Can I substitute a c25k jog for a bout on the elliptical using the same intervals?

At the moment I am still on week 1 which is 5 min brisk walk, 1 min jog, 90 sec walk and then repeat the 60 jog/90 walk portion for 20 minutes. Yesterday I copied this routine on my elliptical using a variable resistance program. I use 5.0 mph for the walks and 6.5 mph for the jogs.

So, do you think this could work as a cold weather alternative? I much prefer going outside to do the program, but needs must! What do you guys think?

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if it will help you with jogging or running, but it will help you burn calories/lose weight/stay in shape. I can go all day on an elliptical, but I can't jog on a treadmill/outside for more than about ten minutes straight without slowing down.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what you're doing it for - if it's to be able to run 5k then I'd suggest find a treadmill rather then elliptical. Running not only builds stamina/fitness but gets your body used to the shocks of running so you develop the ability to run and survive the impacts.

If it's all about fitness for you then I guess the elliptical will be just as good for a cardiovascular workout. But I wouldn't assume that if you can 'run' for 30 minutes on an elliptical it will translate to being able to run 30 minutes on the road.

For what it's worth I did it the other way round last week - my heel was hurting when I was trying to run my 5k so I went for 30 mins on the elliptical instead. I could feel it in my thighs more and my right hamstring was in agony when I stopped so the movement and forces are different.

Nothing to stop you doign the elliptical during the winter and then picking up again with the running when the weather is good - but just take it steady when you start running again.

good luck.
  • waterwaif
    waterwaif Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The answer is not really.

Using the elliptical is considered a form of cross-training which you should be doing on some of your days off from the C25k app. It won't take the place of running.

But if you can't run outside in the winter, then you can't run. Nothing you can do about that! Can you find a treadmill to use? Ideally you'd use the treadmill for the 3 days a week C25k training, and the elliptical for the cross-training on some of your days off from the app.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm an elliptical gal (I do 10 miles almost every day) ... yet I don't feel like I could jog a 5k. I do jog a bit, and while my elliptical says I have more mileage (2 miles in 20 minutes) and calories (about 200 for that 20 minutes) it definitely seems "easier" to me. I can do a 12 minute mile, just one then I need to walk, so according to the numbers, the elliptical is more of a workout, yet I don't think it really is (especially for me, as my body is quite adjusted to it). It certainly takes more motivation on my part to jump on the treadmill than it does on the elliptical.

So my opinion is that you will get in a workout, but I don't know that it would work as a C25k progression (take it for what it's worth, as I haven't tried the C25k program to know exactly what it entails).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What steve2kay said. Some people equate using the elliptical to running because the movement is somewhat similar but you're missing the impact completely. And depending on the brand/model of elliptical you use, your body could be in a completely different position. I get not wanting to get outside to run in the winter - not only is it scary if the sidewalks aren't properly maintained but the colder air is tough on the lungs.

While the elliptical isn't going to be specifically prep you for running, it is a great cardio workout and you can get a great calorie burn on it. I say keep doing your modified C25k program because it's still going to challenge you and improve your fitness level. You could also try doing some strength training and stretching as that will help you prep your body for running.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you want to run you need to run. if you want to burn calories the elliptical will fine
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm an elliptical gal (I do 10 miles almost every day) ... yet I don't feel like I could jog a 5k. I do jog a bit, and while my elliptical says I have more mileage (2 miles in 20 minutes) and calories (about 200 for that 20 minutes) it definitely seems "easier" to me. I can do a 12 minute mile, just one then I need to walk, so according to the numbers, the elliptical is more of a workout, yet I don't think it really is (especially for me, as my body is quite adjusted to it). It certainly takes more motivation on my part to jump on the treadmill than it does on the elliptical.

So my opinion is that you will get in a workout, but I don't know that it would work as a C25k progression (take it for what it's worth, as I haven't tried the C25k program to know exactly what it entails).

Yes, kinda like biking you can bike 2 miles much easier than running them too.

OP, If you are using the elliptical in place I would use a fairly high resistance, or increase the "jogging" intervals by 25-50%, which will increase the length of the full workout. So instead of 30 mins, it will be more like 35-45 mins. This still wont translate to running but will increase overall endurance, making the transition back to running a little easier.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I was doing the ARC trainer 6 days a week for 45-50 minutes each time at 140 steps per minute, so I thought I would breeze through the C25K. I was wrong. I thought I would die after my first 60 second jog! LOL. I now run 2 1/2-3 miles 3 times a week. So my answer is that if the only exercise you can get is the elliptical, then go for it, but plan on have to start the C25K from scratch when you can start running again.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

I know someone who logs a lot of "miles" on the elliptical and thus swore she could run a 5K with no problem, but she was sorely mistaken. She could not hold up a jog for very long. Running is the best training for running.

I did C25K after my first was born (I'm going to do it again as soon as my second is big enough to sit in the jogging stroller or not need to eat so often that I can get out by myself), and I continued running for another year afterwards until pregnancy issues forced me to stop. I did a lot of work on my form, pace, turnover, etc, that there is no way I could have worked on doing the elliptical. Only running could I have worked on that stuff.

IMO running outside is so different from running on a treadmill that I would do my best to run outside if I were you. However that's easy for me to say when I have mild winters! I've lived where it's incredibly cold, so I get it. If you must, run on the treadmill.

You're doing great on C25K so far! That pace is actually quite good for a beginner. Pace will come in time and sort of naturally (up to a point), so don't sweat it.

Edited for typos
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think so, but take my opinion with a grain of salt. I can crank out the elliptical for 60 minutes at a time at a moderate-vigorous pace but I cant run worth a flip-flop. Running is also much higher impact than the elliptical, so when you get back to running again your joints won't be used to it, imo.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When I was over 320lbs I could at one point elliptical for over an hour with ease. I gave running a shot and couldn't go more than a minute. As a few people have said, while both are good for your overall fitness and can be helpful with weight loss, the two are really far removed from each other. I'd go with the treadmill, preferably at a slight incline.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Run outside when you can, and if you find it hard to do there is nothing wrong with repeating a run. Going on the elliptical is a million times more effective than sitting on the couch.:flowerforyou:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Most ppl have already said that elliptical and running are not the same. I do both, and I agree. But my suggestion is to get some better clothes and get outside! There's nothing like running outside. I live in the desert, so my climate is nothing like yours in KS. But my favorite time to run outside is when the weather is in the 20s. I LOVE running in the cold. I bundle up and hit the streets! Give it a shot...
  • mkop84
    mkop84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K on my eeliptical last winter. While it did nothing for my jogging/running time, it did burn more calories because of the intervals. I ran outside as well, but I did go back to W1,D1.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you want to get better at running, you really do need to actually run. An off day work out on the elliptical is fine, but I'd layer up and get outside and work your c25k plan or at least attempt it on the treadmill. I've made a comittment this year to run outside as much as I can possibly stand it so I don't lose my level of training by staying on the treadmill or other cardio equipment.

If you just want to stay in better shape, the cardio machines are reasonable cold weather alternatives.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I realize this may be a dumb question, but with the weather turning cold, I wanted to get your opinions!

I have been doing c25k for about four weeks. Have been doing 1.8 miles in 24 mins or so (I realize this is very slow). What I'm wondering is: Can I substitute a c25k jog for a bout on the elliptical using the same intervals?

At the moment I am still on week 1 which is 5 min brisk walk, 1 min jog, 90 sec walk and then repeat the 60 jog/90 walk portion for 20 minutes. Yesterday I copied this routine on my elliptical using a variable resistance program. I use 5.0 mph for the walks and 6.5 mph for the jogs.

So, do you think this could work as a cold weather alternative? I much prefer going outside to do the program, but needs must! What do you guys think?

Why can't you run outside?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am still on week 1

Notwithstanding all of the views already expressed, can you clarify why you're still on week one after four weeks?

To me that suggests something more fundamental as the transition to week two is pretty straightforward. These are confidence builder weeks and if you're already feeling uncomfortable with stepping up then you may need to consider whether you're doing the right sort of exercise at all
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I say no, but the elliptical makes me want to stab myself in the face.

Keep running outside or use a treadmill. If the elliptical is all you have use it but be prepared for when you go back outside again in the spring to feel like you are struggling to run.
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input!

I definitely notice the difference between running and elliptical, and was hoping to find a good sub for days it was too cold to go out.

Alistairrae: I am taking the running at a slow pace, which the c25k program suggests for people who have never run before. I started too quickly my first time around and ended up with shin splints so I am cool with redoing weeks and easing into it a little more gently this time.

Wilsoje74: Mostly it is getting a lot colder, but the area around my house is also extremely poorly lit and has no sidewalks so I don't feel that safe going out at night. That means I reserve one day at the weekend to run during the day and try to run right after work during the week before it gets fully dark. I am just trying to prepare for a long, dark winter where it's not always going to be possible to go outside.

Thanks again for all the advice and opinions, I appreciate it and will let y'all know how it goes!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    With correct clothing you can run in any weather. You can also buy headlight to wear on your head for light.