• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Mary Jane.

^^^ you are awesome
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    take a muscle relaxer and two benadryl.

It's like a euphoric sleepy stupor. Totally takes the edge off.
  • DuchessNukem
    DuchessNukem Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Earlier a few people mentioned St. Johns Wort. I would like to add that if you are going to try it, you really need to discuss it with your doctor first because it is known to have serious adverse reactions when taken with certain antidepressants/anti-anxiety meds.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I've found good sleep, meditation and prayer, exercise daily, and eating healthy keep me balanced.

Agree.

Medication is a tool, not a cure. It needs to be utilized to supplement the aforementioned lifestyle along with counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy.
    All the medications OP listed have multiple side effects, not just weight gain, including chemical dependence and suicide.

I've been a nurse for over 25 years and have doled out more drugs to anxious, depressed people than I can count.
    I've given doses of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety agents and other mood altering substances that would snow a horse.
    Without lifestyle changes, counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy, they're still anxious, depressed, miserable people.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've found good sleep, meditation and prayer, exercise daily, and eating healthy keep me balanced.

Agree.

Medication is a tool, not a cure. It needs to be utilized to supplement the aforementioned lifestyle along with counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy.
    All the medications OP listed have multiple side effects, not just weight gain, including chemical dependence and suicide.

I've been a nurse for over 25 years and have doled out more drugs to anxious, depressed people than I can count.
    I've given doses of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety agents and other mood altering substances that would snow a horse.
    Without lifestyle changes, counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy, they're still anxious, depressed, miserable people.

Want to explain that to my mother who despite all of that 'therapy' she was still schizophrenic, or to me where I am borderline manic.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    take a muscle relaxer and two benadryl.

It's like a euphoric sleepy stupor. Totally takes the edge off.

Edge off depression that is not just a 'mood swing' ? Clinical depression...yeah treat it by becoming a spaced out junkie.:noway:
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. But I take Wellbutrin and Zoloft. My weight problem is 100% me nothing to do with my meds.
  • Pickledpiper
    Pickledpiper Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've tried most of the meds on your list. I was diagnosed with childhood anxiety disorder at age 5, and severe clinical depression (and other things) at age 14. For me I don't think I gained anything due to the medication I was on, I gained because i was depressed and ate too much. I am currently on Celexa/citolopram (sp?) and I've lost over 85lbs in 8 months while on it. I honestly would prefer not to take medication, but every time I have gone off them over the years, I have slipped back into depression, so I guess I'm at the point where I've just accepted that for whatever reason my brain needs them to function normally. But as mentioned by several other posters, just like a diet and exercise regime, it is so completely individual and although we can say what worked/didn't work for us, it will most likely not be the same for you.
    Good luck to everyone!
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    sex
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D
    Magnesium
    Exercise
    Vegetables

Not being funny, Ive taken many on your list, above is what works for me now.

Also Iron
  • sassabella
    Options
    Effexor caused weight gain for me but currently taking Zoloft and it doesn't appear to have any weight gain side effects. I guess it depends on person to person unfortunately :( each body reacts differently to these. I hope you find the right one for you one day. Perhaps a psychiatrist may be able to help a bit? They can better match an antidepressant for you. I know I'm considering that because I have a few other side effects from Zoloft that I'm not too keen on.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I love how people seem to think things like sex & a walk or massage will 'fix' depression.

No... it MAY fix a bad mood.... but not diagnosed depression.

Being in a bad mood or a slum is totally different.

OP asked about ANTI DEPRESSANTS.... not how can I get out of a mood.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression ever since I was young. I've been on Lexapro and Xanax, but I don't like doctors and I don't like being on meds, I always look for a more natural solution.
    Meditating, exercise, a better diet, and plenty of sleep does help. It may not keep the depression entirely at bay but it decreases it's severity a lot of the time for me. Plus helps keep me focused on and aware of my goals, which distracts me.
    One thing I've learned is that no matter how bad it gets, it will get better eventually. This is pretty much my lifeline when I'm having a bad day/week/month. I KNOW it will get better and I hold on to that even when I feel like giving up.
    Seeing people mention St John's Wort interested me, I've heard of it but never for anxiey/depression. I'm definitely checking into it.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Agree.

Want to explain that to my mother who despite all of that 'therapy' she was still schizophrenic, or to me where I am borderline manic.

According to DSM-IV codes (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), schizophrenia is classified as a psychotic disorder.
    Bipolar (manic) and depression are classified as neurotic or mood disorders, which may or may not have psychotic features.

Psychosis consists of the presence of hallucinations and/or delusions, marked impairment that grossly interferes with social, occupational, academic or basic day-to-day functioning, and extremely poor "reality testing" or a so-called "break with reality."

Neuosis is a relatively mild mental illness that is not caused by organic disease, involving symptoms of stress (depression, anxiety, obsessive behavior, hypochondria) but not a radical loss of touch with reality.

Therefore they require different treatment plans and medications.
    I have yet to see a schizophrenic stabilize and function well day to day without medication.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Mary Jane.

...and that^.

+1

Happiness is wonderful side effect, and it eliminates anxiety for most people.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I love how people seem to think things like sex & a walk or massage will 'fix' depression.

No... it MAY fix a bad mood.... but not diagnosed depression.

Being in a bad mood or a slum is totally different.

OP asked about ANTI DEPRESSANTS.... not how can I get out of a mood.
    I'm trying to determine if the majority of folks in this thread figure you can also mend a broken arm by rubbing some dirt on it and getting back to chin-ups, or if they just don't think that the brain is a part of the human body that can sustain damage.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Mary Jane.

...and that^.

+1

Happiness is wonderful side effect, and it eliminates anxiety for most people.

Bad idea.
    Marijuana can cause feelings of anxiety and paranoia among other undesirable side-effects:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/marijuana-abuse/how-does-marijuana-use-affect-school-work-social-life
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    sex

+1
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get off of them…just a bandaid for what is eating at you!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the sex advice. It only works if it's good sex.