Stretch Marks

Options
What does everyone do for stretch marks? I gained a lot of weight fast and now I'm losing it (40 lbs so far total) but I have ugly stretch marks on my stomach. I'm trying to not be self conscience about it but I hate them! Is there a way to get rid of them or at least diminish them a lot? I'm afraid I'll end up spending money on products that don't work at all just like I used to with diet pills and other diet gimmicks.

Replies

• orange_avocado
    Options
    Whoa, I just posted about this on another topic! Crazy! :)

I would recommend using Shea Butter or something similar while losing - Google search what they recommend for pregnant women, it's the same advice. I had the same problem. I lost 20lbs in about 2 months and had really bad stretch marks on my boobs and stomach. The weight eventually came back, but the stretch marks stayed. This time I'm determined to prevent even more.

Sorry, I don't know what to do to get rid of them. Hopefully they fade over time?
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!! I am not sure any product can take them completely away. I think there are some scar fading creams out there, like Mederma, that are not too much, but I honestly don't know how well they work. I think that cocoa butter can help to prevent stretch marks, but not fade them away. Sorry I couldn't be of more help! :-)
  • springbreeze72
    Options
    My boyfriend gained 40 lbs in only 2-3 months due to medication he was on for Chrone's. He now has huge purple stretch markes over his entire belly. He is sad about it but doesn't do anything about them.

My bestfriend got pregnant and during her whole pregnancy she used coco butter and after. I would try coco butter every day - :) Good luck!!!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i bought bio oil. i hope it works. it says it takes 3 months at least, using twice a day.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I got stretch marks jet from gaining weight when I was a teenager. now they've mostly faded and you can barely tell they're there unless you look up close. unfortunately there isn't anything you can do once you have them. most of products out there meant for diminishing the look of stretch marks don't work, so you'll probably just end up wasting money :-/
  • MarieS1967
    MarieS1967 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First of all congragulations on your reduction! Keep up the good work. You are a beautiful young lady, focus on the positive and give your body time.

Stretch marks do fade. I got them when I had my first son - gained a lot too fast. Had NONE with my daughter. I was in better shape and weight gain was a minimum. My son is 24 years old know and a Marine. I consider my stretch marks a BADGE OF HONOR for having brought him into the world.

HOWEVER, that is my story.....

I have been using BIO oil. It works well before and after if your stretch marks are new. Keep using it you will probably need at least 2 bottles 60 days worth to see any change.

Just so you realize once you have them you will always have them and they are hereditary. Good luck and keep it up!

Your health is more important!
  • DJKimE
    DJKimE Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes I just started using Shea butter too and am liking it. I got a lot of stretch marks after having my son. I got the 100% raw African shea butter off Amazon. It's not that expensive compared to other products. If you have any skin discolorations it also helps with that too. I've only been using it for about a month and although my stretch marks are still visible, I've definitely noticed the texture has improved a lot.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks from my son... im very proud of them.... I agree they are a badge of honor... I had my son at 22... and i got insecure when all my other 22 year old friends were walking around in bikinis....with perfectly tight bellies.... instead of feeling insecure you have to take pride in your stretch marks... they are your trophy for having a child... it takes some time but eventually you will learn to love them.. They unfortunatly will always be there unless you go under the knife.... they will diminish in time but will always be there.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks will fade over time, but nothing really makes them go away, or even fade much faster. I would just continue using whatever lotion you might be using now, and just be patient...(I know it sucks...I have no patients...and I'm telling you to be patient lol). to prevent them from getting new ones you can take vitamin E.