For those who have ran a 5K....

Options
How did you train for your 5K? I am thinking about registering for one next month. How long and how did you train for it? This weekend I had no problem running 2.5 miles and I think I would be able to handle a 5K. I kinda want to do it just to see how I do. Any advice?

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    How did you train for your 5K? I am thinking about registering for one next month. How long and how did you train for it? This weekend I had no problem running 2.5 miles and I think I would be able to handle a 5K. I kinda want to do it just to see how I do. Any advice?
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
    try looking up Hal Higdon's Novice 5k training program!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ahh, it all depends on how serious you want to take it. This being your first time, I would probably just plan to run 3.1 miles (that's what a 5K is) once a week, just to see what that distance feels like, then 2 or 3 other times a week change up between running shorter distances for faster times, and longer distances for slower times. Basically if you haven't done one before, the most important factor is gauging your pace, if you go out too fast, you can die, if you go out too slow, you won't be able to make up the time at the end. So if your stamina isn't the issue, try to figure out what your mile time is.

Most 5K's they will give you splits at each mile, if you know roughly where you should be each mile time wise, then either using your own watch or the splits they give you, you should be able to make it through pretty easilly.

Also, most people who are new tend to get caught up in the race, and try to pace themself based on the people around them, here are a few race day tips:
    - 5K's are too short to worry about carbo loading, just eat a small meal about 1 hour before, that should be plenty.
    - If you're new, head to the rear of the field for the start, people up front will be aggressively trying for position, and going fast out of the start to create separation, you don't wanna be up there, it's ugly, stay near the back, ease into it, you may loose 10 or 15 seconds that way, but you won't be tripped or yelled at.
    - Try to ignore other runners as much as possible but don't ignore your immediate location, if someone comes up behind you, move to the right to let them pass, it sucks if you are trying for time and someone who is obviously slower then you won't move and you have to extend your run to go around them. Conversly, if you are comming up on someone, try to let them know you are there, a LOUD "On your left" will let them know to move right and let you pass (obviously, loud doesn't mean obnoxious, so thank them when they let you pass)

- Pay careful attention to the road infront of you, road races can be tretcherous, a pot hole or a rock can turn an ankle and cause a serious pile up, I have seen it many times.
  • northernmama705
    Options
    Hey there,

Great news!! If you have already run 2.5 miles without difficulty, that is 4 km!! All you have to do is run a little over 3 miles to get to your 5K goal!!