It's vanished

Options
The motivation I've had since June had vanished. I'm still eating right. The exercise side of things?? It flew out the window with a diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my spine. I had to cut back and apparently my brain and body thought I meant QUIT. After a month of almost no running..........how DO I get that motivation back??

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You don't need motivation. No one is motivated to do something all the time forever.

What you need is the discipline to do it even though you don't want to do it.

If you rely on motivation you will fail.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Had that, too. It left with motivation.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I can't help you with that. I don't think anyone can, really.

You will do what you want to do. That's all anyone ever does. The only question is what you want. Do you want to achieve your goal, or do you want to do something else?

Which do you want more?
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    You don't need motivation. No one is motivated to do something all the time forever.

THIS
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

jonnythan, That was very well said!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

I can't help you with that. I don't think anyone can, really.

You will do what you want to do. That's all anyone ever does. The only question is what you want. Do you want to achieve your goal, or do you want to do something else?

Which do you want more?

Totally agree with this - I always say to people "If you want it bad enough you will make it happen"

What is your "why?" And how bad do you want it?
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    All I have to do is stand in front of a mirror naked & weigh everyday. Now THERE's motivation!
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Alright real talk time:

So with this weight loss thing I was driven on hatred. I hated everyone and everything and I wanted to get rid of it. I wanted to care for others and for myself. After a while around 100lbs lost, my hate evolved into fear. Now I no longer had as much hate but I was actually afraid of going back to what I once was. That pushed me even more. then after about 140lbs lost or so I begin to realize that I could never go back to what I once was because my diet and nutrition would not let me on top of my workout regimen. So with that realization I lost both motives fear and hatred. I literally loss the two strongest driving forces one could have next to love so I needed to reinvent myself. I stood still as far as my progress goes for 2 months while I tried to find my new motivation and I found it in helping others. That has pushed me even further than fear and hatred ever could. I want to represent for my weight loss brethren and show them that any and everything is possible if you put your mind to it. And that realization is the strongest weapon Ive ever had :)

If you loose your way, don't be afraid to evolve and get stronger, as long as you don't give up, you will find a reason to push forward.

Cheers,

Tof
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Alright real talk time:

So with this weight loss thing I was driven on hatred. I hated everyone and everything and I wanted to get rid of it. I wanted to care for others and for myself. After a while around 100lbs lost, my hate evolved into fear. Now I no longer had as much hate but I was actually afraid of going back to what I once was. That pushed me even more. then after about 140lbs lost or so I begin to realize that I could never go back to what I once was because my diet and nutrition would not let me on top of my workout regimen. So with that realization I lost both motives fear and hatred. I literally loss the two strongest driving forces one could have next to love so I needed to reinvent myself. I stood still as far as my progress goes for 2 months while I tried to find my new motivation and I found it in helping others. That has pushed me even further than fear and hatred ever could. I want to represent for my weight loss brethren and show them that any and everything is possible if you put your mind to it. And that realization is the strongest weapon Ive ever had :)

If you loose your way, don't be afraid to evolve and get stronger, as long as you don't give up, you will find a reason to push forward.

Cheers,

Tof

Love this reply.
    Options
    All I have to do is stand in front of a mirror naked & weigh everyday. Now THERE's motivation!

Lol, I can relate. I am not defined, but since I'm not running lately my tummy isn't getting flat anymore. Kinda sux after just a. Few weeks!!
    Options
    Alright real talk time:

Cheers,

Tof

Man I get you. I've been at this over 2 years. First motivation was that I'd NEVER been overweight until I had kids 10 yrs ago, second motovation was that if my 300 lb aunt could do it I could do it. Then, like you, it evolved to fear of going back, because I had done that once before. I've never been in to exercise and I got hooked on running, then. Well. I got comfortable and confident. Lost all drive. Lost sight of this being lifelong. I've got to make it work for me. Just don't know how yet. I've got the food thing down after over 2 yrs. exercise is where I severely lack.
  • ionHouse
    Options
    If you want to be different, then you have to change.
  • farmgirlrrt
    farmgirlrrt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you want to be different, then you have to change.

Great reply!