Back again, starting over and sooooo sad

Options
Diagnosed "pre diabetic" today -- I am so sad and just sick over this. Triglycerides are through the roof, as are my cholesterol levels. Boy, when I'm bad, I'm really BAD. :-(

Sooooo......back to my walking and counting calories......no sugar, very low carbs, and lots of water.

It's not like I don't know what to do to lose weight, but boy, it sure is more "fun" when you are just trying to lose to be healthy. Not as much fun when you're told you're a heart attack waiting to happen.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Replies

• Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    Hang in there. You can do this. We all have health-related reasons to lose weight and keep it off. It is all about getting and staying healthy.
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    You know what you have to do, see this as an opportunity to begin a great new lifestyle.
  • Sunbeam0904
    Sunbeam0904 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awe - don't be sad! It happens, you'll be ok! Prediabetes is really a wake up call diagnosis and you're doing the right thing getting back on MFP! TG are harder to control but hopefully they'll come down as you lose weight and exercise. If I may make one suggestion - maybe don't cut out all your sugar and cut down drastically on your carbs but instead focus on trying to make healthier choices within your calorie goals. I find whenever I try to drastically cut back on anything I always fall off the wagon real quick. Good luck to you!
  • leahf64
    Options
    The positive side is you can now stop the progression of being a diabetic and loose weight and be healthy also. I think we all need a health scare to drive us. Goodluck
  • jlawson113
    jlawson113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You're not alone!!

I logged back in today for the first time in months. Don't be sad. Use it to get motivated.
  • IsaacHudson
    IsaacHudson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    afaik you don't have any medical reason for 'very low carbs'. As long as you are eating complex carbs eg wholemeal bread (NOT white), oats etc you are fine. It's sugars that should be avoided.
  • Dollymaker
    Dollymaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone -- I'm going to do all I can to get this weight off. Maybe she wants me to do low carbs for a while since my TG's are sooooooo high. I don't know, it's all a bit overwhelming to me at the moment, it was a lot to take in today. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm planning to start it off with a walk around the lake!
  • Tropylium
    Tropylium Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Dolly,

I received the same diagnosis a couple of months ago. Also felt sad but I am going to meet this challenge head on. I'm finding MFP a great help in evaluating my diet as far as carb and fat totals go.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You can do this, Dollymaker. I'm rooting for you!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor give you any food lists, or meal planning suggestions? The American Diabetes Association has great stuff available. DH and I have been married 43 years and he's been a type 1 diabetic since before we met. This is neither a death sentence nor a severe disability sentence if you take care of yourself. Count your calories, eat nutritious food and exercise. If Dr. Says something is off limits, pay attention. Life can be very good. Good luck to you.
  • Dollymaker
    Dollymaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone -- I'm feeling a lot more confident after researching a lot this afternoon.

The doctor gave me a list of foods to avoid and foods that are okay along with servings, and that combined with my research will help a lot, I think.

To all of you who replied, thanks a bunch -- just needed to vent a little and get over the shock. Now comes the hard part. This was a real wake-up call!
  • I, too, have high triglycerides. With pre-diabetes, you still have time to turn your health around. My primary care physician is getting frustrated with me and my yo-yoing weight. He suggested myfitnesspal.

Eating healthy doesn't mean eating boring food. Eating Well is a great magazine and web site for tasty and nutritious food. They provide complete nutritional information for all of their recipes in a convenient table format right near the front cover. They also won a James Beard award.

Don't give up!
  • pagiss
    Options
    I am right there with you. I am starting over today too. And Katla49 is right...this is not death sentence or even severe disability because doing the right things you can reverse this if this is pre-type II diabetes... Watching your unhealthy carbs and getting active are key... I know you can do this otherwise you wouldn't be on this site trying to make positive changes... Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.. My goal is to lose 40 lbs.. I want to be healthier and hopefully feel and look better..but the healthier is the most important to me.. (I have two older sisters that are insulin dependent type II diabetics and I don't want to follow in their shoes..). Good Luck my new Fitness Pal Friend!
  • pagiss
    Options
    Eating Well is a great publication.
  • jennyrocks1975
    Options
    I'm starting again today as well. I do have diabetes. I've had it since I was 18 years old and I am now 38. My son just turned one and as I was watching him play I kind of broke down. I want to be around a very long time so that I can watch him grow and I cant do that at this weight. And I dont want him to grow up with out his mother. So Today begins a new me! And today begins a new healthier you! Wishing you all the Best!