Weekly motivation

Options
I try to work out 4 times a week. Monday is weights, Tuesday is cardio, Wednesday weights and Friday cardio. I work out on my lunch hour and it is the only time of day I am able to exercise. The problem comes when, Monday mornign rolls around and something comes up to stop me from going to the gym (either I have a meeting at work, or an errand to run, or anything that requires me to skip working out). This would be fine if I just got my butt to the gym the next day and started fresh but something in my brain just says 'well, if the routine got messed up, there is no point trying to get back on track this week, I will just start again next week. I need some tips on how to trick the hardwiring in my brain to avoid these 'excuses'. Any ideas?

Replies

• qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    That one is simple to me. If I miss exercising one day, I just do it the next, cuz one missed workout is not gonna mean much, but a weeks worth will. It is the same downfall that many dieters experience, they lapse one day and eat too much and then declare their
    diet a failure. It is not a failure, it is just a small misstep, pick right up where you left off and continue your healthy habits. Think positive!
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way. Do you ever skip brushing your teeth? Treat you body like you would your teeth.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    maybe you should give yourself a mini reward for every week that you follow through with your exercise routine. Something that you love or that would make you feel good about yourself like a pair of earrings or a pair of sexy panties, or maybe frozen yogurt. I hope this helps......
  • zgarlick
    zgarlick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Really good point (especially since I am obsessive about teeth brushing). Thanks!
  • mryankee13
    Options
    I don't miss a day. In the last 75 days of my diet and workout plan I've missed 2 days, thus the 47 pound weight loss.

Its become something I must do or I miss. Its a new habit and good one at that.

Do something everyday even if it's walking the dog, but do something.

Good Luck and stay healthy
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of giving yourself a mini treat for accomplishing a week’s routine that “themommie” suggested, I actually do the opposite. If I skip one of my pre-scheduled workouts I give myself consequences such as … working out double the amount of time the following day, which of course I never have time for. So it makes it an excellent incentive to do my regular workouts.
    Best of luck