Any tips for fighting off sugar cravings/emotional eating?

Options
Hi,

I have, in the past few days, succumbed to my sugar cravings. In the past I was addicted to soft drinks but haven't had one in about a year. Unfortunately, I fear I am relapsing into sugar in other ways.

The convenience store near where I live sells chocolate cupcakes. Well, I had one on my birthday and it was awfully good. The problem is I have been going back several times a week now and getting more of them. A two pack of cupcakes is 400 calories While I'm there I'll get some oatmeal raisin cookies. Two cookies are 400 calories. I am destroying my diet and fear that I am relapsing into obesity. I can easily eat 1500+ calories worth of sweets in less than 1 hour.

How can I control these cravings? I know what I'm doing is wrong and bad but I seriously cannot help myself. Also, I feel like I don't feel like I have the "I'm full" shutoff switch that a normal person has. I can honestly eat 7000-8000 calories in a day and not feel bad at all. I can do this for many consecutive days if I want and my body seems to love it. It would take me not much time at all to put back on the weight I have lost.

Any tips are appreciated. I know it should just be "self control", but for some reason it's not that easy. I find myself thinking "who cares, nothing really matters" and just cutting loose on the sweets. I think part of it is that I've had a few failed relationships which have not gone well for me, so I'm "eating my feelings" so to speak. I know that's supposed to be a female problem but I have done the same thing in the past. I find that eating can be a downward spiral where i begin to say to myself "well I already blew it yesterday, so who cares anymore".

Thanks again.

Replies

• monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i just dont buy things i know i cant control myself with. so i dont buy ice cream, cakes, haribos, biscuits or anything like that. if i get a sugar craving it is not there so i just eat something else- a fruit or something.
    and if it doesnt go away and i can fit something little into my day i will go and buy something small in the shop- but only one portion, so like a snack pot of icecream, mini bag of sweets or anything in "fun size".
    its always good to keep yourself busy- go for a walk, chat to a mate or just read a book , do washing up. anythign to keep your mind occupied!
    Godd luck!!
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Carbs beget carbs. Eating a sugary dessert spikes your blood insulin level while the sugar is processed, but then you run out of sugar to process and still have high blood insulin levels. This insulin finds nothing for it to bond with, which causes your body to think that you are low on sugar (because in our ancestral environment there weren't such things as cupcakes), which makes you crave sugar so you go in search of something sweet. Basically it is millions of years of evolution insisting that you must be starving because your insulin levels are higher than the available sugars suggest and thereby messing up your diet plans.
    It used to be that fat and sugar were rare and our ancestors had to work hard to get them, which burned more calories. Our bodies learned to crave them so that we would be willing to expend the effort to climb that tree and get the sweet fruit, or hunt down the heavier (larger) fat carrying animals. Things like cupcakes and Snickers bars are super-stimuli. They push all of our ancestral craving buttons, but offer none of the nutrition that fat and sugar used to represent (healthy meat and nutritious fruits). One cupcake can be upwards of 500 calories. Do you have any idea how much meat that is? How many apples or oranges?
    I tell you all of this because knowing it has helped me to say no to those things. It doesn't fix the cravings, but it gives me a mental anchor to hold on to when those cravings try to pull me into the local bakery.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling well. Four years ago I started a diet and lost 65 pounds. Then my family and I went to Disneyland for 4 days. During that time I decided I would have anything I wanted and I did. Then we got home and I continued having everything and anything I wanted. I kept telling myself it was fine, I didn't care if I was fat, life is too short to "diet" all the time. Fast forward to last May and I had gained back that 65 pounds I lost plus another 20. I had been avoiding the scale for months and when I finally stepped on and saw that horrible number, I knew I had to try to get healthy again.

You haven't fallen all the way down the rabbit hole yet and clearly, based on your post, you don't want to. I don't have any great words of wisdom just a cautionary tale I guess.

Right now all of my motivation comes from stepping on the scale every single morning. I also do try to avoid crazy high calorie deserts because sugar does indeed lead to more sugar, it's like heroin for me.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Try everything else 1st before you give in to the sweets. Like drinks lots of water, chew gum, eat fruit, make sure that you are not sleepy (or go to sleep), avoid going to that particular store that is convenient or makes you salivate for those sweets, avoid certain isles or places if it triggers certain tastes. This is what I have to do. But for me I buy one 100 cal snack everyday to eat as a snack. I can't buy it in bulk to save money or I will eat all of them. Since you are a guy that seems like you don't mind sharing your thoguhts and/or feelings, maybe try writing down how you feel before you eat that snack. As soon as you desire that treat write in your journal/notepad what you are really thinking about at that moment. I hope I don't sound corny. I know most guys probably wouldn't do this, but then again most guys aren't as honest to bring up what you did tonight which is admirable. Rememember why you lost weight. If you lost weight for the wrong reasons, maybe you should make another goal of why you want to stay fit. Congrats on all the lost. Your body looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would never have thought that you lost that much with your skin being so tight and fit! Hope this helps...
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bobbie as well. You have to know your limits. Some ppl like me have to have a little everyday and it's fine. If I have nothing, one day I will have everything! But others have to totally avoid it. You have to figure out what is best for you in this case. I would love to know how you do...
  • ellaistooposh
    Options
    Food addiction is a real thing. It's tough, isn't it? But your will power can be tougher. Every time you start thinking about eating too much, tell yourself "this is my problem. This, right here, is my problem." That's what I say to myself when I start thinking about eating too much or eating something bad. Another thing that is so hard is treating yourself. For me, it seems like if I have a little treat then I go bezerk and want more and more. I can't have one slice of pizza or one cookie without really struggling to stop myself from having more. But I can still do it and so can you. Because it's just food. You will have some later on. You'll have some tomorrow. It's just food. Your health and your confidence is worth so much more.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Its not easy thats for sure. You have alot of experience to draw on and I am so glad you brought this up.
    I: am also very addicted to sweets. I just cant have it around and know if I buy I will eat it, no doubt so I better be darn careful about what I pick up. If you dont pick it up, it cant get in your mouth.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    All you can do is not eat sugary things...sugar is my downfall too. It's so delicious and addictive for the emotional eater, and it doesn't help that it can trigger cravings (at least in me). Total abstinence was the only way I could take control. It sounds like you're that way too. Go without sugar long enough and it becomes less tempting.
  • Slimagainshelly
    Slimagainshelly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My sugar craving comes on an evening after dinner. I will either have a yoghurt or a herbal tea to help with the craving. My downfall is chocolate everytime so I will not buy any when I am doing my weekly shopping so I will need to walk to the shop in order to eat some. That is enough to put me off when its cold and wet outside. I found that cutting out chocolate all together didnt help as I just ended up binging on it, and then feeling guilty. Now I add it to MFP and then it becomes part of my calories for the day. I found that is motivation enough. If there is not enough calories left for the day, i will have it tomorrow instead. Hope this helps
  • maz2469
    maz2469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There's a saying "Easy to do, easy not to do" in a book I'm reading called The Slight Edge (highly recommend).

On the day you think, 'it's not going to kill me' or 'it won't ruin everything' today but those small decisions, good or bad, over a long period of time will effect you. This really helped me take a turn again as I had the same problem - I found oreo and dairy milk chocolate, and once i started a bar, i could not help but eat it all. I'd by several that were on deal and convince my self i'd save them for the weekend, but they never lasted the day. I'm also an emotional eater but if you dont have it/them there, you can't eat them.

The oreo chocolate still stares me down every time i walk into a shop but i just turn and walk away... easy to do, easy not to do.

Best of luck, life's one big testing journey!!!! x
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh, sweetie, I hear you! I am SO addicted to sugar. I'd rather eat sweets than regular food. I can polish off a tray of homemade brownies by myself and then bake another batch so no one knows. I have to recommit to MFP each and every day. I can't have "just a taste", I have to completely abstain. The thing that helps me succeed more days than I fail is to remember that sugar feeds every disease and cancer and helps it grow and spread. My mom has dementia and I fear that SO much. If I want a healthy brain I have to feed myself healthy food. For me it has never been about vanity, I just want to protect my body and brain from illness.
    Find what motivates you most and cling to that. You look wonderful. Don't throw away all your efforts by chucking it all out the window. You will regret that so much. Good luck. I hope you have great success.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    Carbs beget carbs. Eating a sugary dessert spikes your blood insulin level while the sugar is processed, but then you run out of sugar to process and still have high blood insulin levels. This insulin finds nothing for it to bond with, which causes your body to think that you are low on sugar (because in our ancestral environment there weren't such things as cupcakes), which makes you crave sugar so you go in search of something sweet. Basically it is millions of years of evolution insisting that you must be starving because your insulin levels are higher than the available sugars suggest and thereby messing up your diet plans.
    It used to be that fat and sugar were rare and our ancestors had to work hard to get them, which burned more calories. Our bodies learned to crave them so that we would be willing to expend the effort to climb that tree and get the sweet fruit, or hunt down the heavier (larger) fat carrying animals. Things like cupcakes and Snickers bars are super-stimuli. They push all of our ancestral craving buttons, but offer none of the nutrition that fat and sugar used to represent (healthy meat and nutritious fruits). One cupcake can be upwards of 500 calories. Do you have any idea how much meat that is? How many apples or oranges?
    I tell you all of this because knowing it has helped me to say no to those things. It doesn't fix the cravings, but it gives me a mental anchor to hold on to when those cravings try to pull me into the local bakery.

Agreed. Here crux here is to give into sugar cravings as late in the day as possible, so that you don't have to deal with yo-yo blood glucose levels all day. Try to hold off until after dinner.
  • kkmalay
    kkmalay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    big bottle of diet soda, satisfies the sweet craving for me
  • mom9198
    mom9198 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

This ^. ^ And I try really hard to keep the high sugar/calorie stuff out of my house. This time of year of holidays and birthdays is challenging for me. I keep little reminder post it notes around so I don't forget how hard I've worked and how happy I am at being 65+ pounds lighter and counting. Hang in there and be honest with yourself and why you're logging. Best wishes!
  • PDReader
    PDReader Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have found that for many, many things we enjoy, the same thing can be made raw vegan. The taste is very similar but because the food is raw you fill up faster.
  • amyliz810
    Options
    Consider whats more important to you? Make sure you are getting enough fruit and veggies. This may help too.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lol good things fruits have no sugars
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have found that for many, many things we enjoy, the same thing can be made raw vegan. The taste is very similar but because the food is raw you fill up faster.

Please tell me 3 things that taste like a Porterhouse, or glazed jelly donuts, or .....
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for the clarification on whyyy I could easily eat 3 cupcakes in one sitting & not be phased! ha.
    I won't be giving up cupcakes entirely, but this is definitely something to think about before reaching for a second!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I can't help you control the emotional eating or sugar craving. I have them as well. I have a weakness for Zebra Cakes. However, in order for me to have a cake I have to earn it. For instance, the store by me is about a mile from my house. If I want a Zebra Cake I have to run a route that puts the store close to the end. Doesn't matter what exercise I've done that day because it is a treat I want, don't need.

1 Zebra Cake = 5K run

Works for me, I'm naturally lazy.