how do you count weight on a barbell?

Options
I'm used to doing dumbbell lifting, and I've always counted the weight as the weight of one of the dumbbells I'm lifting. But how do you count barbell weight? If the one weight says 25 lbs, does that mean that you count 50 lbs? Do you add the weight of the bar?

I'm wondering how to keep records. Thanks!

Replies

• dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You count the weight of the bar and the weight of the plates.
  • accendo
    accendo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just finished my workout, for example when I did a dead lift I had a 20kg bar, a 10kg and a 2.5 plate on each side of the barbell. I counted my lift as 45kg. 20+10+10+2.5+2.5=45kg.
  • ravikrishna
    ravikrishna Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For dumbell, its the weight distributed across evenly which is mentioned on it. But, in case of barbell, if you add 5 lbs on each side, in fact you're lifting 10lbs + weight of the barbell. So, in order to get the full weight, you goanna need to weigh the empty barbell and then add it to the weights that you add upto.
  • johan1585
    johan1585 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    first of all add 2 weights one on each side or you'll grow crooked lol, no for real if the bar weighs 14 lbs and you add two weights both 15 lbs its = 14+15+15 = 44
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! Makes a lot more sense now why it sounded like barbell lifting numbers were so high compared to my normal dumbbell routine. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! Makes a lot more sense now why it sounded like barbell lifting numbers were so high compared to my normal dumbbell routine. :)

to make it even more confusing, there are several different kinds of bars. An Olympic bar ( what I use) weighs 45lbs. There are other bars that weigh less...
  • fxgs
    fxgs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is this post serious?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Is this post serious?

It is and it's a legitimate question.