Binge Eating Help Needed!

Options
So I'm back.... AGAIN.... haven't been on for a while. I have tried to lost weight and get to my goal weight for the last 2.5 years, but I am a chronic binge eater, and can't find the motivation or willpower to change, must to my own disgust :-(. I was wondering if there are any other binge eaters or reformed binge eaters out there that have any advice on how to stop myself when I am in a binge session, and how to find the motivation to exercise and stick to a healthy eating plan. I am a perfectionist, and when I do manage to stick to a healthy plan, and I don't see the weight dropping off as I would like, I just fall off the wagon with a bout of depression and go straight back to normal, and the cycle continues.. :-( HELP PLEASE!!

Replies

• sophielou01
    sophielou01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sarah! I used to do this all the time! With me also being a teenager and being incredibly hormonal nothing used to help :( I've found that not buying the food incase you might want it is useful for me, it would mean if i wanted to snack or binge i'd have to go to the shop. In Britain at this time of year i'd much rather stay in doors and i just think to myself " no it's too cold/wet/windy i can cope without" then by the time the nicer weather (Haha who'm i kidding ey!) comes next year hopefully you'll be out the habit like i am :)
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The downside is, that it doesn't have to be junk food that I will binge on... I will eat what ever is in the house... and if I get desperate enough I will just go to the shop anyway - I live in Australia so ****ty cold weather doesn't stop me.. lol :-(
  • SJRockz
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. I binge eat. I haven't been on this site in a couple of months I think also. It does suck. Right now, I'm just trying to figure why I binge eat. I hadn't ever eaten so much in my life before. I remember last year, I was even starting to lose weight. Everyone even noticed and I wasn't even trying!! This time around, I'm trying to get myself back into that mind frame. I don't need to eat ALL the time!! It has been a stressful year, and I realized that I was a stress eater. The hard way. I'm going to school now which gives me less time to think about food. I always forget to eat before and during school. I think just figuring why you binge eat, and trying ways to break the habit is a good start. I'm about to make exercising my new addiction. =]
  • EtreMieux
    Options
    Reformed binge-eater here :) I used to go out and buy packs of cupcakes and pizzas and eat it all, then restrict down to 1200 for a few days, then fall off the wagon again. Even purged a couple times (really, really stupid move on my part).
    What I got was crazy acid reflux, no energy, and no sustainable weight loss- sure, I'd lose a couple pounds whilst restricting, but then it would not be enough and I would go off on a binge again.
    Results? I was over 80 kgs when I came back home a few months ago. Not good for my frame, even though I wasn't obese I was not healthy either.
    I agree with sophielou01: out of sight, out of mind. Well, perhaps not out of mind, but at least if it's not in the kitchen you might not eat it. Also, I found it very useful to never go to the supermarket on an empty stomach (if you're hungry you'll be more tempted to buy high-fat binge stuff), and always go with a shopping list (which comes down to planning meals in advance, I guess).
    I also started exercising at home (I'm one of those people who always end up comparing myself to everyone in the gym, which doesn't help) - I used the blogilates beginner workout program for a start: http://www.blogilates.com/calendar/beginners-calendar-for-popsters-just-starting-out
    I found having a clear plan makes it easier - you know what you have to do, every day, no fuss.
    I also heard from a friend who stopped smoking that it was helpfull to always have something to put in your mouth in case of a craving - in my case, I now carry a bottle of water everywhere as well as sugar-free chewing gums. Chewing gum might not be elegant, but the taste (especially peppermint) makes it so that by the time I'm done chewing it the craving's passed. Not very elegant, but of great help to me :)
    I also used to weight myself 3 times a week. I now do it only once a week, which has made me less obsessive...
    I just realized I wrote a lot! And probably not very helpful... Oh well.
    I wish you all the best, and don't hesitate to contact me if you need support, I can relate and I know the state of mind during a binge period is, well, no fun at all.
    You can do it :)
  • sarahsummers12
    Options
    I wish I could find the motivation to exercise! I have tried - but I HATE it... and with two small kids, and living rural, it is difficult - I don't have any gyms near by that have childcare facilities that I can go to, I can't go walking because dogs come out to attack you, and with 2 small kids that just not worth the risk. I get bored doing dvds and my kids make it difficult wanting to climb all over me... I know they are excuses and I am lazy.. but I genuinely don't enjoy it. The only kind of exercise I like is horse riding, but I don't have anyone to watch my kids so I can do that often either! :-(.. and as to why I binge.. I know it's because I'm bored, and lonely, and sick of living ground hog day - but I've been struggling with bingeing for YEARS. It has just gotten worse and REALLY out of control of late. :-( I have tried sitting down and writing out my days meals, planning ahead, not buying crap so it's not in the house, keeping a food diary, keeping a normal diary.. I have tried sooo many different ways. I even did a tafe course to become a weight loss consultant, in the hope that knowing how to help others lose weight, I would have all the info and be able to help myself - but that has just frustrated me because I KNOW what I need to do, probably better than many others, but I still CAN'T get myself to do it!! Rahh!!!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am just guessing, but do you rationalize the binge you are about to do with, "I am going to work it off chasing the two kids around."? I am sure you think through the whole process before you start. Maybe work through that.
  • sarahsummers12
    Options
    Nope - I don't rationalize it at all... the entire time, from start to finish, I am telling myself what a disgusting, revolting fat loser I am, and that I should stop.. but I don't. I don't try and fool myself in to thinking I can fix what I'm doing with some exercise or anything like that. I don't really think through it - it just starts mostly with I'm bored.. so I'll eat something.. and then I just keep eating. And I'm lazy, so even though I know that if I bored, I should do something else instead, I'll still just go to the kitchen instead because it's easier :-(
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I am just guessing, but do you rationalize the binge you are about to do with, "I am going to work it off chasing the two kids around."? I am sure you think through the whole process before you start. Maybe work through that.

^^ I agree and would look for these types of things.

Losing weight is like any other longterm project. You will do it when you really get tired of the way you are now and want to change. The weight comes off one pound at a time and takes work, like anything else, from cleaning the house to writing a paper for school or work.

You have to be onto yourself, as if you were two people -- tell yourself to stop the excuses, plan your day out, and do it.

It helped me to choose an exercise I like (walking and hiking). Choose an exercise you like. Do something with your kids. Small things add up. Find a DVD you like and dance with your kids in the house. Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. Think quality of life -- more fitness in your life, better food.

Think longterm. Be positive. Praise yourself for small accomplishments.

I have a huge sugar addiction. Planning my meals out and making some in advance has saved my skin more than once. I always have the basics ready to throw a meal together in a few minutes.

Eat more protein and you won't be as hungry. If you don't know what to eat, start with some protein shakes until you plan out your diet. Find foods that are low calorie that will fill you up, like steamed kale and other fresh greens. Have fun doing some research.

Motivate yourself. Look up inspiring videos and tape some motivational sayings to your mirror.

You can do this. Thousands of people have finally lost the weight and you are just as capable as they are.
  • Emlou93
    Options
    I don't know if this would help you (everyones different) but it has helped me with my overeating - I generally binge when I'm stressed or depressed, now if I recognise a trigger I'll do yoga or other activities to take my mind off it. It may not be the right solution for you, however, it is something to try!

http://www.psychforums.com/binge-eating/topic18164.html
  • sarahsummers12
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies :-) Much appreciated.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I had problems with this a few years ago. I was hell-bent on wanting to lose weight and went to extremes in both directions - binge binge binge, then fast fast fast. It didn't work, and was a miserable way to live my life. What helped me was dealing with other areas of stress in my life. When I ended a relationship that caused me stress, got a good group of healthy 'normal' friends (at the time I'd been living with an anorexic flatmate and that SO didn't help), started doing regular exercise and realised I couldn't exercise when I lived how I'd been living, and I also got a new job, which had also been contributing a lot of stress.

The stress was a huge influencer for me, and although it was hard making those changes I realised I needed to do it for my sanity.

Having healthy foods in the house to eat when I wanted to was also very useful. I have always loved fruit and raw vegetables so I'd make sure I always had a bag of carrots in the fridge and when I wanted to scarf something down I'd reach for a carrot and a few cups of tea instead of going out and buying junk.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I hate that out of control feeling when binging. So, I've been channeling my energy into exercise. Sometimes I'll start to binge and then drop to the floor for 20 (granny) pushups. Exercise seems to break the binge urge

I binge eat when I'm stressed, that's for sure. I also find that I binge just for the pleasure factor in my mouth. So when I can muster up just a bit of self-control (hopefully before the binge), I shove some super-mint gum in my mouth, and that seems to help. A large mug of spicy herbal tea helps, too, as does drinking a huge glass of water. With my belly popping from liquid, the food just gives me heartburn.

I also found that hanging around MFP as often as possible gives me constant focus and motivation. Good luck!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies :-) Much appreciated.

Do one or two small, positive things today... and praise yourself for them. Add more small positive steps to your life. Any efforts you can make are good -- they don't have to be all or nothing or gigantic. Walk for ten minutes. Make it a goal to drink more water.

I've found adding small things are the best way for me to slowly build a more positive lifestyle.
  • IdsFknTaken
    Options
    From http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/1qp1ng/tips_for_not_binge_eating_or_at_least_stopping_a/cdf0yey:

Avoidance: Try logging the calories of all the stuff you are planning to eat FIRST, and then deciding if you are OK with that or not.

(For me, I could so easily binge on just a crusty loaf with butter that I don't even keep that kind of bread in the house right now, but if I were going to binge on it I could eat most of a loaf and then I'd have to figure out how much butter I would put on it - maybe a pat or 1.5 pats per slice, x maybe 7 or 9 slices. Well, there I am, about 1200 calories just for this binge, tacked on to whatever I've already had for the day.)

If you don't care and still want the food, then try telling yourself you can have it after you do something productive - a walk around the block, a certain number of jumping jacks/push-ups, etc. Make yourself work for it, not because the exercise is going to cancel out the binge (it won't by a long shot) but because the effort and good feelings of physical activity might snap you out of it and realign your priorities!

Interrupting: Brush your teeth. Menthol cough drops. Strong mouthwash.

And in general, for the future, it can help if you get comfortable with the idea that being mildly hungry is a fine and pleasant temporary state to be in—anticipating, but not obsessing over, your next healthy meal. You feel good - you aren't stuffed or bloated, and you have the energy to get things done. And after you eat the meal, you won't have eaten so much to put you in a food coma, or sabotage your daily calorie target, you'll have eaten enough to satisfy your body and now you can move on to other tasks or hobbies.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nope - I don't rationalize it at all... the entire time, from start to finish, I am telling myself what a disgusting, revolting fat loser I am, and that I should stop.. but I don't. I don't try and fool myself in to thinking I can fix what I'm doing with some exercise or anything like that. I don't really think through it - it just starts mostly with I'm bored.. so I'll eat something.. and then I just keep eating. And I'm lazy, so even though I know that if I bored, I should do something else instead, I'll still just go to the kitchen instead because it's easier :-(

Going on your response here, I'd say this is more of a mental/emotional issue with you, that won't just be solved by not buying the foods you binge on. Calling yourself lazy and disgusting isn't going to make you stop binging. You deserve to be happy and healthy, and what you need is to find a way to feel worthy of being happy and healthy. Then probably you won't feel the need to eat away your feelings.....
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I too have a problem with binging, and its getting better :)
    What I found has worked for me (keep in mind that everyone is different; you just have to find what works for you)
    -if you feel like "I cant keep _____ food in the house without binging on it" don't keep it in the house. BUT THIS IS NOT A PUNISHMENT. Just tell yourself "I am not ready to keep this IN THE HOUSE. It does not mean it is off limits".
    -Speaking of that, every food is something you can eat. DO NOT restrict yourself from ANY food, even if its a problem food. I actually enjoy going out for a scone at the local café rather than trying to keep a container of mini scones in the house. That way, you still get what you want.
    -Try not to over compensate a binge. It only puts you in the binge/restrict/binge again/restrict again cycle (this is one of the hardest cycles to break, IMO). However, I am an advocate for some light exercise after a binge if you're feeling up to it. But don't push yourself. The exercise may help you feel a little better physically and emotionally.
    -try not to eat out of boredom / other feelings (still one of my biggest problems) if you're home alone (the times at which 90 percent of my binges take place) try to get distracted. If you're hungry, treat yourself to a nice homemade lunch of your choice. Have dessert with that if you want. And if you feel physically satisfied but you still want to eat, tell yourself "well, maybe ill wait a bit. The food will still be here later". Brush your teeth and take a walk or do something that you enjoy