Becoming obsessive with calories and weight

Options
Can anyone relate?

Since I started going to the gym and trying to lose weight in January, I've found that I've become increasingly obsessed with food, calories, my weight etc.

At the moment I'm eating like 1000-1300 calories a day, and honestly I'm struggling to eat that much. I'm ALWAYS thinking about what my next meal is going to be, how many calories I have left etc.

I'm 163cm tall, 5 foot 3, and I weigh about 48.2kgs, or 106 pounds. At the start of the year I weight 56.7kgs, or 125 pounds.
I can't even see the difference unless I look at progress shots.

Anyone have the same problem?

Replies

• starrynightinaug
    starrynightinaug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Right there with you-
    Went from 125- to 158- now back to 129/130 and pretty sure I am driving my boyfriend crazy. I feel like I HAVE to go to the gym every day and if I do not, I feel like a slob. Incorporated weight lifting in my diet, started to gain and was told I have to eat more calories. Wanted to scream. Yet, I bumped my calorie intake up and I am starting to lose again, yet I want to move back down to 1300 calories again, feel like a pig with the food I am eating (trying to eat more high protein). Weigh myself on 2 different scales, and think I am fat, yet everyone tells me I look great.
    obsessed with weight loss, obsessed with food (yet, I like to drink and will NOT take that out of my diet)

frustrating as hell
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Honestly, then calorie counting might not be right for you. This is how people develop eating disorders.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Obsessions can be very unhealthy.

I've also been at this since January. I probably spend 30 minutes a day thinking about my weight loss/plans but that's because every day is more or less the same. I definitely don't struggle to eat enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    at 5ft3 and 106lbs you shouldnt be trying to lose more weight, so you should definitely be eating more than 1300 cals.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Been there. This time it's different for me because I truly am trying to make it a lifestyle, not a diet. I'm thinking long term. I'm not sure how to say to not obsess other than talking to a therapist about it or something.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with obsession over calories and my daily number on the scale. To the point that I actually had to force a break from weight loss to re-stabilize my mental wellness. Once I recovered, I sought out the help of a trainer and nutritionist and basically put blind faith in the process that was developed for me. I now adhere to my food and training plans, and haven't been on the scale in weeks, much less days. I've got macros I should be aiming to hit at each meal, but if I'm under or over a few grams of carbs/fat/protein for this meal, I know I can make up for it in another. I'm eating 5-6 times a day, so there's wiggle room. I've gone from starving myself on 800 calories a day and avoiding exercise, to 1900 calories a day, lifting heavy 4 days a week, with cardio thrown in twice a week. I truly trust in the process, and honestly, it's the best thing that's happened to me as far as health and wellness go. I find I no longer need the scale for validation because my clothes are getting baggy and my muscles are getting bigger (not bulky mind you, I'm just not a spindly weakling anymore)

Look into guidance from a professional, and then trust in the process. You won't regret it!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I try to be careful about this (I'm a semi-recovered anorectic) but if I'm being honest... I'm not doing so well. I am very obsessive about calories, always losing with absolutely no fluctuations, etc. My goal is 1450/day and I plan meals days in advance to get the maximum amount of nutrition for the fewest calories. Most days I come in at 900-1100kcal and that only happens because I force myself to partake of snacks at work.

There isn't an easy answer here. The crazy obsessive behavior isn't healthy, and it may mean calorie counting isn't for you. I guess what I try to ask myself (that may be helpful for you) is: am I managing this or is it managing me? Even though this process isn't perfect and I am struggling with it, am I overall doing okay and remaining as healthy as it is possible for me to be? If you can't honestly answer both of those questions positively, it is probably time to step away from counting and talk to someone you trust.
  • MadelieneL
    Options
    Thanks everyone for answering!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    In the first year or so of changing, it is easy to have the pendulum swing too far to the obsessive side. I went though this and it is only as I hit my to year anniversary of changing my life, that I am loosening up a bit. I think there is a fine line between obsessive and holding ones self accountable. I know no one else will hold me accountable for my food and exercise choices and I wouldn't want them to!
    I lived 42 years on this earth not know what normal eating was, not having a healthy relationship with food. I know I still have not attained it. But what I can tell you is that I am no longer eating impulsively or trying to feed my feelings or numb myself with overeating. I would rather be more mindful of my choices that not aware at all. at least being mindful I have a say of what is healthy and what I SHOULD be eating not what I "feel" like eating. With that said I eat plenty, usually 2000 calories per day or roughly 1600 after working out. I still like food, a lot... But my taste buds have matured and gotten healthier, too.
    I hope one day my eating becomes more and more natural and I will be able to discontinue logging food and exercise! but right not! I know it works! I know it holds me accountable and it's what I feel comfortable doing at this time...
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I find the whole MFP thing can drive you crazy. I've given up logging because of it, I still dip in but it was becoming seriously ridiculous how much i was obsessing about losing weight, how much to eat etc.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I had this issue a while back and then I finally talked to my doctor about it. She suggested I log five days and then not on the weekends. Right before I went to the endo, I backed it down to 3 days a week, and I am now back to 5 to 6 days a week, and obsessing constantly over how many calories I have left, how many I have had, and constantly reminding myself that I need to work out or else. I am still trying to develop a good relationship with food.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi. I lost 2st (14lbs) using Biggest Loser site and have been maintaining since Feb. Deficit wise I go by my Fitbit not the net cals on MFP diary and am reluctant to change as whatever I am doing is working for me.

I would say that I am pretty strict but not obsessed. I only upped my weekday cals to 1500 in order to be more relaxed at w/e's which I manage to eat just fine!

It's hard to tell people to have a healthy balance as we are all different and I'm sure I don't exercise long enough or hard enough for some but I do what I feel I can sustain for ever. Years of yoyo dieting taught me that goals of weddings/hols etc were pointless as they suggest an "end date" where I would default to old behaviours.

I'm not sure this waffle helps anyone but this is my experience!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have put myself on maintenance for at least till after Christmas, cause I am spending too much of my time on this website. It's like a drug. I'll log some food and I'll have a quick look at the forums and 20 mins later I am still here :blushing:

I have to keep logging for my sodium levels (I don't have enough throughout the day otherwise) and my iron consumption (I have high iron), but that doctors appointment isn't till Feb anyway, so I can probably start logging again after Christmas and provide plenty of data then.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories because I don't want to become obsessive about food. I'm successfully losing weight anyway. Probably not as efficiently as I could be if I weighed and measured all my food, but I think it's much better for my psychological well-being this way.
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'll usually glance at the calories on something but if it looks too high, I just won't eat it. I've become pretty healthy in the past few months (vegetarian, cut out diary and drink very little pop) so I know most of my calories are healthy calories (but am still careful with avocados). Then I just log it into myfitnesspal throughout the day and if I see I'm nearing my calorie marker for the day but still have a lot in the day, I make sure to either exercise more (or make for certain I exercise) and then pay more attention to my calories. I also don't eat much grain (bread or anything doughy) due to stomach issues (I have pretty bad IBS).

That said, I am also 5'3" so I know you are definitely in the healthy weight area (even at 125, that's healthy-- I have a very large chest so no sure how that plays in). But at this point, you probably don't wanna be obsessed or even having trouble reaching up to 1000 or 1300 calories. I mean, you only have 6 more pounds to go before you're at 100 (is that the goal?). I think I'd just stick at 105.

ALSO, if you maybe have IBS or some kind of stomach issue, that could be why you don't see your progress. I know I take probiotics to help with my stomach because it has ALWAYS stuck out and that helps it a bit.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with obsession over calories and my daily number on the scale. To the point that I actually had to force a break from weight loss to re-stabilize my mental wellness. Once I recovered, I sought out the help of a trainer and nutritionist and basically put blind faith in the process that was developed for me. I now adhere to my food and training plans, and haven't been on the scale in weeks, much less days. I've got macros I should be aiming to hit at each meal, but if I'm under or over a few grams of carbs/fat/protein for this meal, I know I can make up for it in another. I'm eating 5-6 times a day, so there's wiggle room. I've gone from starving myself on 800 calories a day and avoiding exercise, to 1900 calories a day, lifting heavy 4 days a week, with cardio thrown in twice a week. I truly trust in the process, and honestly, it's the best thing that's happened to me as far as health and wellness go. I find I no longer need the scale for validation because my clothes are getting baggy and my muscles are getting bigger (not bulky mind you, I'm just not a spindly weakling anymore)

Look into guidance from a professional, and then trust in the process. You won't regret it!

I agree with this. Weight loss will drive me crazy, but I have recently hired a trainer to guide me in nutrition and exercise. I'm trusting their professional opinion -- taking it out my head.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I found I was doing this as well. It drove me crazy, so I made a couple changes that have really helped.

1. I quit snacking. I know some will say you should, but for me it's just 2 more times a day I had to think about food.

2. I pre-log the night before. I do this after dinner when I'm not hungry and I'm relaxed. That way all my thought processes about food and what to eat are done for the next day. All I have to do is execute the plan. I've been doing this for the last 4 months and I've found I don't obsess about food anymore. In fact, I don't think about it much at all.

Good Luck!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am not completely obsessed but I do talk about it alot to my family, always spend my dinner logging, while everyone eats. Always thinking about the cals I have left. My MIL told me she thought I was getting obsessed so I scaled it back a bit. I keep telling myself to relax, and not think about it all the time. Just recently I let myself eat what I wanted, and that helped lol
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit obsessive as well, though that tends to be my personality. I'm obsessive about logging and working out and comparing my body media to my fitbit, etc. For me, I'm not worried about developing an eating disorder because I eat quite a bit and honestly, track so much so I can eat more. However, it can be annoying to constantly be thinking about it.

I'd recommend getting off these forums. The more I read here, the more I'm thinking about food, fitness, etc. I'd also recommend not tracking on the weekends unless you're prone to undereating. I am not, so I purposefully eat at a deficit during the week (1700-1900 calories/day) and track carefully so that if/when I go over my calories on the weekend, I'm still able to maintain.