2nd day and finding it hard atm

Options
well this is my 2nd day of using fitness pal, I really need to lose weight badly, i hate being over weight, my breathing is quite bad at night also, i thought that's it!! I need to change had enough now, have tried slimming world, but it trains you to eat to much, which i don't really want to, so my partner had the fitness pal calorie app on his phone he told me before, but wasn't interested, thinking i can do it on my own, but there are so many hidden calories in food i couldn't believe it !! well here i am using the app my self scanning everything, but finding it very hard with eating less food :( because i love my food but determined i'm going to do this if anyone has any tips that would be great to train my stomach until its smaller that would very helpful thank you :smile:

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water, at least gallon a day, keeps you full even if just for a while can still help.

Try to stay away from too much carbs - grains, bread, sugar, etc since they have a lot of calories on relatively small portion. Instead ate a lot of vegetables, they have almost no calories while still keeps you full with fiber in them. I'm talking about greens such as cucumbers, cabbage, lettuce, etc obviously, not potato or pumpkin cos they have a lot of carbs what has a lot of calories.

Also don't ate too much fat. Some fat are necessary for good health but couple tablespoons of oil to your salad, or something equivalent of couple tablespoons of oil, should be enough in a day. Fat has a lot of calories on very small portion so it won't make you full.

Ate a lot of low fat protein like white meat, white fish, egg whites, no fat cottage cheese, etc - keeps you full and also has little cals compared to carbs and fat.

I guess what I'm saying is to do low fat, low carb diet. Like that you can get a lot of food into you, to make you feel full, by not eating too much calories.

:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Takes approximately 21 days to form a habit. You're on day 2. If you continue till day 21, it will get easier. Also combining exercise with weight loss helps not only with physical health and fitness, but allows a higher calorie intake.
    Personally, I don't let my clients diet. I teach them to cut calories and not do an extreme food change over. If the diet that someone is on to lose weight isn't sustainable and can't be applied to everyday eating after they reach goal, then weight regain is almost inevitable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pamzirbel
    Options
    Hello Tracy!!! I too, thought I could do this myself. 'I will just eat less...' which for me, couldnt GET any less. Drinking only coffee and then later around 5pm having a peanutbutter and honey sammich. Wow..I'm going to loose all sorts of weight!! NOPE...kept finding I was GAINING!! Also, found out my body was storing it like a bear for winter...so..from my Facebook friends, I found Myfitnesspal!!! Marking it down, for me keeps me eating AND eating the right foods!! I didnt WANT to eat as I would gain, so I wasnt eating. Now, I actually stay awake during the day and have more energy. I have really bad arthritis and a bad back and 1 hip replacement at 47 and am looking at possibly another replacement on my left hip. I am going to give this a good go and hope that maybe getting some weight off [I need to loose, er...would LIKE to loose 40 to start] and hope it will help with my pain. Also have Fibro and cant walk due to my arthritis and hips..but I am going to give it a go.....Good luck Tracy...keep your head up girl!!! I eat grapes and an apple and drink water in between...but I too only started this group yesterday!!! Yea us for doing this!!!! Let's get 'em girl!!!! :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I totally read this as "2nd day and hard time finding an atm"
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I read "finding it hard".... *goes and retrieves mind out of gutter*
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I find it hard too

It's a limit I'm working on
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest setting MFP for a less aggressive weight loss goal., like .5 - 1 pound a week instead of 2. Many new people go right to 2 pounds a week and get frustrated because they aren't getting much food to eat. I have mine set so that I'm eating just slightly below my maintenance for very slow weight loss, and I'm enjoying the foods I have always loved, but in controlled portions. It's something I can stick with for the rest of my life and I don't feel like I'm restricting myself.
  • dossha
    dossha Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Understand it's a process. You didn't get this way overnight and your not going to get slim that way either. Until the gears shift, trying eating what you want but measure it from hence forth. Like try a 1/4 cup of something, a actually tablespoon of something. Begin seeing what the right proportions are. Hope this helps.:drinker: :drinker:
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Hard to find those suckers. And when you do, they are down. I'm looking at you, Indooroopilly Shopping Town!.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

YES. Me too. Great minds...
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options

I read "finding it hard".... *goes and retrieves mind out of gutter*

If it wasnt for the gutter my mind would be homeless :laugh:
  • markheusser
    markheusser Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water, at least gallon a day, keeps you full even if just for a while can still help.

Try to stay away from too much carbs - grains, bread, sugar, etc since they have a lot of calories on relatively small portion. Instead ate a lot of vegetables, they have almost no calories while still keeps you full with fiber in them. I'm talking about greens such as cucumbers, cabbage, lettuce, etc obviously, not potato or pumpkin cos they have a lot of carbs what has a lot of calories.

Also don't ate too much fat. Some fat are necessary for good health but couple tablespoons of oil to your salad, or something equivalent of couple tablespoons of oil, should be enough in a day. Fat has a lot of calories on very small portion so it won't make you full.

Ate a lot of low fat protein like white meat, white fish, egg whites, no fat cottage cheese, etc - keeps you full and also has little cals compared to carbs and fat.

I guess what I'm saying is to do low fat, low carb diet. Like that you can get a lot of food into you, to make you feel full, by not eating too much calories.

this isnt really correct...dont be afraid of carbs...that is what gives you energy...you just need to track the carbs you eat and not go over on what your numbers are. I would suggest looking into iifym (if it fits your macros) I have been doing it for about 7 months and lost 43 lbs...check out iifym.com it is a great site and explains everything well and in simple terms...also has calculators to help figure out you numbers.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When I first joined on here I was desperate to lose as much weight as possible and set my weight loss to 1kg per week. This gave me too low a calorie goal to keep it up.

Concentrate on making this a lifestyle change, something that you are going to be able to do long term.
    And simply keep under your calorie goal.

Keep it up and in no time you will reach your goals and feel stronger and great!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    tracy - one day, one step, one habit at a time.

if you're anything like me (and probably many others here) you want to do it all! now! immediately! and you get bogged down in details and numbers...

Trust the system - it works. IF you follow the rules :bigsmile: What i mean is - the bottom line here is simple - eat less, move more, and log log log. be consistent. weigh everything you eat. that's it.

For ME - and remember, everyone is different - i focus on mostly lean proteins (mostly chicken and dairy and eggs), whole grains/carbs, lots and lots of vegetables (cooked and fresh), some fruit. I exercise the best i can at the moment (no money for gym :grumble: ) - i walk 1-2 hours a day and i try to incorporate additional exercise like kickboxing etc.

I attack habits one at a time: stop mindless grazing at night, stop buying latte every morning, push myself in the AM to exercise etc. once i get one habit under control, i move on to the next.

You can totally do this.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    if you just started, I would track everything for the first week and not make any diet changes just yet. It is easier to adjust iyour diet in small steps (take out one soda a day, eat one piece of fruit instead of a candy bar, etc) than it is to completerly restrict yourself arbitrarily as you might be limiting or taking out something actually good for you. Of course, I find that when I"m actually good about tracking my food, I automatically eat better because I don't want to see negative calories left for the day. To be honest though, this advice is kind of do as I say not as I do, becuase while I know this stuff, I don't listen to myself very well.

I also agree with not trying to be too agressive with your weight loss.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I too love food and had a hard time limiting myself. I would eat a 250 calorie breakfast and be starving by lunch and even more starving by the end of my work day and would binge when I got home.

I added protein to breakfast to help keep me full (I really like Start Healthy's breakfast sandwiches, only 200 calories and they taste really great) and I have 15 almonds (100 calories) between breakfast and lunch. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it really keeps me full.

In the afternoon I have a filling snack (a sliced apple spread with 1 tbs of peanut butter is a go to as well as string cheese with grapes), which gets me through to dinner.

I also always try to leave an extra 150 calories for the end of the day, so I can have a protein shake after my evening workout or a scoop of ice cream before bed.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you exercise more you can eat more!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options

this isnt really correct...dont be afraid of carbs...that is what gives you energy...you just need to track the carbs you eat and not go over on what your numbers are. I would suggest looking into iifym (if it fits your macros) I have been doing it for about 7 months and lost 43 lbs...check out iifym.com it is a great site and explains everything well and in simple terms...also has calculators to help figure out you numbers.
    You got me out of context...

I'm not saying that carbs are bad. OP has problems with eating small amounts of food and not feeling full. So all I'm saying is - protein and fiber will make you feel more full, usually, than same amount of calories from carbs or fat.

IIFYM is great. Buy you can ate a bunch of chocolate and ice cream, if it fits your macros, and then drink one protein shake with some fiber to meet all your other macros for a day, while still feeling hungry and not full than if you would have eaten same amount of calories from a bunch of vegetables and meat. Ya know what I'm saying?
  • markheusser
    markheusser Posts: 26 Member
    Options

You got me out of context...

I'm not saying that carbs are bad. OP has problems with eating small amounts of food and not feeling full. So all I'm saying is - protein and fiber will make you feel more full, usually, than same amount of calories from carbs or fat.

IIFYM is great. Buy you can ate a bunch of chocolate and ice cream, if it fits your macros, and then drink one protein shake with some fiber to meet all your other macros for a day, while still feeling hungry and not full than if you would have eaten same amount of calories from a bunch of vegetables and meat. Ya know what I'm saying?

Yeah I gotcha :) ...thanks for clarification...just saw "low carb" diet and just wanted to point out not to be afraid because they are your fuel.