Interesting article about water weight and the scale...

Options

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who's an MMA fighter. She'll sit in the sauna for hours the day before a weigh-in in order to make weight. She'll usually drop 10-12 lbs. in one day, and this is off of a 130 lb. body. After the weigh-in, she'll bulk up and put that weight right back on for the fight. It's pretty amazing how much water makes a difference in our weight, and why it's so important to drink enough on a consistent basis, because it helps keep our readings more consistent.
  • Azkadelia
    Azkadelia Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article. I agree we are slaves to the scale....hard to change the thought process though. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    WOW, I will keep my scale but will not stress over the number. I know I lost at least 6lbs of water weight since coming home from MS and not having all that salty food that I have to cook for my parents. They are so addicted to salt, drives me nuts
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This is why I try to weigh myself at the same time EVERY morning. I've gotten really familiar with patterns (gain up to 3 lbs with a sodium heavy meal the night before, gain 2-4 lbs if PMSing, etc). Some people prefer to weigh every week but I feel like I'd get more disheartened if that one weight happened to be on a day I was bloated or whatever.

Great article. I could never do that- I feel awful if I try to go a few hours without my trusty water bottle :drinker:
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    This is why I try to weigh myself at the same time EVERY morning. I've gotten really familiar with patterns (gain up to 3 lbs with a sodium heavy meal the night before, gain 2-4 lbs if PMSing, etc). Some people prefer to weigh every week but I feel like I'd get more disheartened if that one weight happened to be on a day I was bloated or whatever.

Great article. I could never do that- I feel awful if I try to go a few hours without my trusty water bottle :drinker:

I used to be opposed to daily weigh-ins but have learned how my weight fluctuates by stepping on the scale daily. I share your feeling of disappointment if I weigh-in weekly on a day of bloat.

The scale is also an anchor for me. (old WW term) If I am off plan, I don't like looking at the scale, let alone stepping on it. Waking up and stepping on the scale is as important to my AM routine as my cup of coffee.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bottom line though, you need the scale to adjust your calorie goals. But you got to keep in mind that as long as you're eating at a deficit, it just can't be fat.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Neat article, thanks.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    For those of you who weigh in daily how do you record your weight for MFP? Take the lowest weight of the week?
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I put it in every time, unless it's just an absolutely ridiculous fluke.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    For those of you who weigh in daily how do you record your weight for MFP? Take the lowest weight of the week?

I weigh daily and I record each lowest weight when it appears on the scale. To 'appear' it has to be that i get on, see it, get off and back on, see it again.

I don't record decimal places.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is why I like caliper or tape measure measurements: my weight has stayed the same, but I have dropped inches (calipers especially easy to tell).
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    between this and the fact that i just measured myself and put the measurements into a couple calculators, maybe I should start ignoring the scales more