Wedding Day Workouts

Options
Hi all! I'm newly engaged and really need to focus and getting my tummy in shape. Does anyone have some good and easy ab workouts? Things I can easily do at home?
Thanks,
Katie Z

Replies

• TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/toning/how-to-do-the-plank-exercise.html#b

A plank routine is a very simple, effective way to work your entire core. I'd give them a shot, I'm currently working on a plank challenge to get my front plank up to 5 minutes.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Eat at a caloric deficit and exercise to decrease all over body fat. Strength training greatly helps accomplish this.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Eat at a caloric deficit and exercise to decrease all over body fat. Strength training greatly helps accomplish this.

This is correct. It is said that abs are born in the kitchen, but really they are born through strength training and revealed in the kitchen. Your best bet is heavy strength work focusing on front barbell squats, along with eating at a deficit. For even better results you will want to modify your diet to be higher in protein and lower in carbs.
    I also recommend doing at least one day a week of an HIIT or Tabata workout of your choice.
    I highly recommend this article to get started: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

This is correct. It is said that abs are born in the kitchen, but really they are born through strength training and revealed in the kitchen. Your best bet is heavy strength work focusing on front barbell squats, along with eating at a deficit. For even better results you will want to modify your diet to be higher in protein and lower in carbs.
    I also recommend doing at least one day a week of an HIIT or Tabata workout of your choice.
    I highly recommend this article to get started: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I second this ^^
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This.

Resign yourself to the fact you need to work out to be fit- and you need to watch your diet to lose weight.

Lift weights- do cardio to build a bigger deficit if you are having hard time getting a big enough deficit.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

+1 all day long
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Agree with all others.

And I came here thinking this was going to be a thread about "how do I work out on my wedding day?" :laugh:

ETA: Congrats on your engagement!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I thought this would be circuit training incorporating:

1 minute of walking up and down the aisle slowly
    1 minute of bouquet tossing
    1 minute of polite clapping
    1 minute of pretend assisted cake cutting
    1 minute of fighting with a drunk uncle

Repeated for 30 minutes.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    20 Crunches
    20 Reverse crunches
    30 sec plank
    no break
    repeat 3 times

killer!

(saw that on youtube - Mike Chang Channel, sixpackshortcut I cant post the video, youtube is blocked here)

and yeah I know I cant spot reduce but ab work out never hurts (uum fck hurts!!)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose in your tummy is a calorie deficit. My tummy is always the last to go...But I have to agree with the rest of the comments, eat less and lift weights! That has done wonders for my body, don't worry about the scale!

I see you are in Bloomington (I am in Lafayette) so those of us in college towns are pretty fortunate to have cheap/free resources for fitness (trails, cheap gyms, etc).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Did you want a good ab workout or an easy one?

No matter. As everyone said, you'll get better results with a full body resistance program while losing weight in a calorie deficit
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I call BS on spot reducing.

I just spot gained ..... all on my belly so there!

:sad:

I spot gained on not exercising and eating lots of Halloween candy. Therefore you can spot reduce by not eating Halloween candy and exercising. BAM!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice for calorie decifit and lifting. Any cardio you like to create a bigger deficit. The BeFit channel on YouTube has a pretty intense 30 Day 6 Pack program that you could work into an established lifting program, likely fairly easily, if you want more targeted ab work on top of a basic strength program. It's a mix of cardio and strengthening exercises.
  • Joe_pat
    Options
    Top 10 Best Fat Burning Exercises

1 Burpees - This at home cardio move tones your core, upper body and legs all at once- it’s a triple threat exercise that everyone tends to dread for good reason; they are hard! But they also work.

2 Jumping Lunges - Lunges are a fantastic thigh toning exercise; add in the momentum required to jump up in between lunges and the move turns into an incredible calorie burner.

3 Pilates Leg Pulls - Tone your core, glutes, and thighs with this one simple Pilates move. Because all of the large muscle groups involved, you burn a high number of calories while you are toning.

4 Jackknife Crunches - Jackknife Crunches are an advanced abdominal move that engage both the upper and lower abs for maximal toning in the least amount of time. They are especially beneficial because lower abs can be hard to target without equipment.

5 Lunges with Reverse Leg Raise - This tones the glutes, thighs, obliques, and lower back, all while building coordination and balance.

6 Jumping Squats - Do this exercise for a minute or two straight and you wont have any doubts about how challenging it is. This plyometric is also great for building explosive speed.

7 Push Ups - Push ups are a total body exercise that are easily modified and can be made to be very challenging, even for the most avid exerciser. If a regular push up feels too easy for you, try the Single Leg Push Up.

8 Side Planks with Leg Raises - While this most specifically targets the outer thighs, obliques, and deltoids, it requires the strength and coordination of the entire body to hold up the base Pilates side plank.

9 Mountain Climbers - Mountain Climbers can feel like a punishment, but they truly are one of the best overall toning and fat burning moves out there that don't require a bit of equipment.

10 Jumping Jacks - This simple at home cardio essential is an excellent way to get your heart rate up quickly. Add it in between strength training sets to keep your caloric burn high.