Holla fa' ya collards! Fabulous recipe-

Options
Lovey50
Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
WOW. If you've ever enjoyed a good bowl of collards on a cold day and thought you'd never be able to enjoy that smoky green deliciousness and stay on your diet, you have to try this:glasses: I just made this recipe, Bacon Collard Greens from the Laaloosh website - REALLY delicious, very healthy except a bit high in sodium, and LOW CAL :love: I used Applegate Farms Organic Turkey Bacon and used all 8 pieces of bacon, so my (large) serving was 133 cal, versus 70 cal/serving as quoted by the website. I cooked the bacon in a big pot, which left a nice fond on the bottom. I then added a TB of olive oil to saute the garlic and onion, and deglazed the pan w/the chicken broth, scratching up all that flavor from the fond on the bottom of the pan. The I added the chopped fresh collard greens in batches and simmered for 45 min. The collards were softened perfectly but still had substance, and the turkey bacon added a perfect smokiness. The broth was HEAVENLY- I used Kitchen Basics Unsalted broth, and added no seasoning other than the red pepper flakes the recipe called for. A delicious sub for traditional collards, and Himself declared it even better than collards done traditionally with smoked ham hocks :blushing:

Bacon Collard Greens Recipe
Amazingly full of flavor, this low Points side dish of Bacon Collard Greens will certainly satisfy your Southern appetite without sacrificing your waistline. Each serving is just 2 Points + and it tastes wonderful!

Ingredients
1 pound fresh collard greens, chopped
6 slices extra lean turkey bacon (like the kind from Jennie-O)
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups fat free chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes
Instructions
Spray a large nonstick pot or skillet with nonfat cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside to cool.
Re-spray the pan with a bit of the nonfat cooking spray and then add in the onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant.
Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.
Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Chop or crumble the cooled bacon and add it into the pot.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)

Cooking time: 20 minute(s)

Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein

Number of servings (yield): 4

Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)

Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is approx. 1 cup
Each serving = 2 Points +

PER SERVING: 70 calories; 1g fat; 8g carbohydrates; 10g protein; 4g fiber

Read more: http://www.laaloosh.com/2012/02/06/bacon-collard-greens-recipe/#ixzz2l8isg5sq

Replies

• sjones215
    sjones215 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, we like to make collards w/ smoked turkey leg
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Smoked turkey leg sounds great also, and low in fat, too! I'm making collards for Thanksgiving for sure.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    love collards