Is there life after Ranch Dip?

Options
I like vegetables, but not enough to snack on them raw. I want to try and cut back on using ranch (my sweet spot) but I’m not sure what else I can use to dip them? My palates recoil in horror at the thought of fat free dips, so I’d like to steer clear of that too.

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    maybe you can try dipping them in hummus or cottage cheese with chives or mrs dash on it.. Hope this helps
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    hummus!!!!! Yum :tongue:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    hummus?

you could also try making your own lower fat dips
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Me too! Could someone paleez give us a less fat homeade version to make at home? You can try different versions of hummus. The roasted bell peper and sun dried tomato kinds are pretty good.
    jac
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    What about plain yogurt with ranch mixed in?
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think you might get to like the taste of undipped raw veggies after a while! And you might even think that the dip has been masking their real flavors. One thing I discovered recently is the deliciousness of cherry tomatoes wrapped in fresh basil leaves. I also notice that if you can get your veggies from a farmer's market or organic produce vendor, the veggies usually taste way better than from the regular grocery store. I like veggies from my own garden best of all :)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I eat veggies raw because I like their taste, but I dip 'em in hummus often as well. I like spinach & artichoke and roasted red pepper hummus(hummuses?) the best.

There's always healthier ways to make dips using greek yogurts. Google on the recipe forums here on go to Chobani or Fage's websites
  • groucherella
    Options
    I"ve never had hummus, but I'm willing to try!

Not sure about the yogurt - i'm trying to acquire a taste for it by incorporating it in my breakfasts. I may work up to this suggestion though, lol!

Thanks!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I second the greek yogurt! Greek yogurt is super great with all the protein, so you might not even need to add flavoring all the time, but if so I few herbs and spices should do, no sugar or anything. Hummus is great, as has been said.

Also, even just using sour cream is better than ranch, since there is no extra sugar or other scary additives. Just don't go crazy or anything, maybe like a tablespoon?
  • darcibean
    Options
    I mix half a dry ranch dressing packed with a container of cottage cheese! You could even blend it in a blender to make it a better texture!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    eat your ranch dip, or in my case, dill dip, and be happy with it! measure out your 2 tablespoons and enjoy. i *hate* fat free dressings too, and i'm really not all the fond of the lowfat variety either. so i allot my calories for my real-deal dill dip when i want it! it ain't no thang!

but...a nice recipe for a dip for you to try, anyhoo:

spinach dip

1 package of frozen spinach (thawed, patted dry)
    16oz. lowfat sour cream
    1 package of hidden valley ranch spice pack
    1 red bellpepper, chopped

mix it all together, keep it in the fridge and enjoy! your original hidden valley ranch has about 140 cals/14 g fat per 2 tablespoons, while the lowfat sour cream clocks in at 40 cals/3 g fat. pretty significant difference! but i still go for my dill dip when i crave it, too!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I actually have been using HValley Fat Free Ranch and I really like it. I thought it would be horrible, but after "cleansing" my palette of the fattening foods, it tastes pretty much the same to me as the original used to.
  • groucherella
    Options
    eat your ranch dip, or in my case, dill dip, and be happy with it! measure out your 2 tablespoons and enjoy. i *hate* fat free dressings too, and i'm really not all the fond of the lowfat variety either. so i allot my calories for my real-deal dill dip when i want it! it ain't no thang!

spinach dip

16oz. lowfat sour cream

mix it all together, keep it in the fridge and enjoy! your original hidden valley ranch has about 140 cals/14 g fat per 2 tablespoons, while the lowfat sour cream clocks in at 40 cals/3 g fat. pretty significant difference! but i still go for my dill dip when i crave it, too!

Ok, I'm going to round these bad boys up at the store tonight and give this a whirl! Thanks for everyone's input!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I mix half a dry ranch dressing packed with a container of cottage cheese! You could even blend it in a blender to make it a better texture!

I haven't tried this!! I have the "Sam's club" size of ranch powder. I mix a little with low fat sour cream, not bad. I have also mixed it with a bit of milk to make a more liquid version for salads. It's extreme- but I too 'need' the ranch flavor.

A sub for my ruffles and ranch? Quaker bite size rice cakes- ranch flavor. I tried the target brand, not as good.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I missed ranch a LOT, I mean a LOT. So I went looking for something else similar even if it had a few calories in it. I ended up finding Walden Farms Ranch dressing.

Calorie free, sugar free, fat free, carb free, gluten free, cholesterol free. (technically it lists that it has trace calories but I'm happy with that for myself).

It tastes GOOD!!! I buy it at a local store which sells a lot of unusual items so I don't know where it's carried mostly. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U8Z4VW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000JWGFRG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KNH8H0CW8PPSRT5A2TT
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    Greek yogurt w/ ranch seasoning.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options

spinach dip

16oz. lowfat sour cream

Oooh, I'm going to have to try this. I LOVE spinach dip.
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    laughing cow garlic herb cheese wedges!! omg so freaking good w celery n carrots
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Salsa.....Its the only thing that will do for me!! I love me some salsa on my fresh veggies!! Ohhh or a good home made bruschetta! Its a little high in the olive oil, but not to crazy!