Motivation

Options
Hi All!
I am new again to MFP. I was a member a few years ago, and lost my sign in information, so I am starting from scratch. I never really took advantage of the forums and stuff before. I thought I could do it on my own, however that didn't work.
I lost about 20 pounds last time, and gained ten of it back. After being uncomfortable in my jeans, I decided I didn't want to go buy a larger pair.
I started a C25K program, and just finished week 2! I have signed up for 2 5Ks next year, in February and March. I figured if I paid the money, I would be more motivated to finish :) My eventual goal is to run the Princess Half Marathon in 2015, to celebrate my 40th birthday. I have never been overly athletic, but have decided its never too late to start!
I know in my head what needs to be done, I just need some motivation and encouragement to stick with it this time.
Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble :)
Danielle

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You need INSPIRATION, not motivation. A truly motivated person will do whatever it takes regardless of obstacles that tries to impede their success. Only one person can motivate you..................and that's you. However, you can be inspired by how others have achieved their goals even with impossible odds against them.
    My advice is to never compare yourself with others. If you did better than the day before, feeling better than the day before, and looking forward to doing even better than that.........................then you're doing it right. There isn't a perfect plan or program, there's just you bettering yourself overall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Flswimmom12
    Options
    I guess I don't really need motivation like you said, but not really inspiration either! I need ENCOURAGEMENT. That's what I should have titled my post.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! How's that for encouragement :flowerforyou:

Seriously, you sound like you have goals and know what you want. Knowing is half the battle.

Good luck!
  • rj11abc
    rj11abc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi there! It'd definitely NEVER too late to start! I started training for a marathon a few years ago to lose weight before my wedding. I went from running a mile or two to finishing my first marathon in about 8 months. Now I'm more interested in half marathons because it's less time consuming for someone as slow as me (best marathon time 5:47! Yikes!).

Couch to 5ks are absolutely fantastic introductions to running, and I'm impressed that you are aiming as high as a half marathon! Go you! Not that you asked, but a piece of advice: NEVER get discouraged by having to walk during any of your training runs or races. Walking is a perfectly acceptable way to finish ANY race - I walked the last 10 miles of my 5:47 marathon, and i still felt an amazing sense of accomplishment when I finished. Besides, all movement whether it's fast or slow is still really good for your health, and feeling good is really what's important, right?

Just sit back, and enjoy the endorphins! Welcome to the club!
  • Flswimmom12
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need to motivate yourself. You can't do it for a man or a job. You need to do it for yourself.

Read fitness magazines and books, hang out with like-minded people. Get cute clothes. And a workout that you love, that makes you feel alive, like nothing else can!