Possible Stress Fracture

Hi everyone... Looking for a bit of advice from all the runners out there. I have pain in my foot, right around the ball of my foot, beneath my toes. Hurts like crazy. It's tender, makes me limp. Any pressure on it is painful. I looked it up on WebMD and I think it may be due to a stress fracture. Prior to a couple weeks ago, I didn't run at all, like ever. Not a cardio fan. Three weeks ago, I started C25K, doing the run/walk interval thing. I wear Nike Shox when running or working out for now, planned on getting actual running shoes for Christmas. All the reading I did suggests that I tried to do too much too soon, didn't ease my body into running/jogging. I also understand that the recovery time if this really is a stress fracture is somewhere along 4-6 weeks, may require a boot, I'm aware I should go see my doctor for an X-ray or something, as it could be serious and not heal properly, possibly turn into a bone spur... I've been doing a lot of reading.

Question is: Is there anything I can do at home to ease the pain prior to making a doctors appointment? I won't have time this week at all so I thought I could just take it easy this week, then if it still hurts just as bad or worse, I'd schedule a visit Monday. Are there any tricks I could try to alleviate some of the pain?

Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    I recently went through something very similar after doing exactly what you did. Running too much, too fast, in poor shoes. I also thought I may have a stress fracture, but it turned out to be extreme inflamation. My doctor had me take 2 aleve, twice a day with food for one week while staying off my foot as much as possible. He also had me get arch support inserts for my work shoes since mine didn't have any support. After that week, I felt a million times better and was able to ease back into running.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    I sure hope that's the answer I get! None of my work shoes have support, either. I'll try what your doctor recommended you for the rest of the week and see how I feel. Thank you so much!
  • madams1975
    madams1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there - is below your big toe area? It sounds like sesamoiditis. This is fairly common for runners. The pain is usually on toe off, under the big toe area. I have a shattered sesamoid in my right foot, these things all helped for me:

- alternate ice and heat, ending with ice
    - tennis ball - with your shoe off roll your foot up and down the ball, working the tendons on the bottom of your foot
    - toe lifts - this one helped me the most and was taught to me by a coach at Cressey Performance. With your shoe off, put your foot flat on the ground. Keeping all your other toes on the ground and not rolling your foot left or right, pick up the big toe..hold...put it back down. Repeat several times a day. It sounds so simple, but done consistently it really made a difference.
    - Anti-inflammatory - either Ibuprofen or Aleve. take the full dose 3 times a day for a couple of days but do it with food in your stomach.

Aside from that, stay off it a couple days. Wear cushioned shoes, even in the house. Some have had success with dancer's pads but they did nothing for me.

See if those things help, ultimately though it sounds like you may need to see a doctor. Stress fractures in the foot are difficult to heal and they cause a lot of problems in other areas like your knees and hips. If you do go to the doctor, make sure it's an orthopedic doctor specializing in feet, not a podiatrist.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Ice, ice, baby! :wink:

Also, be aware that sometimes x-rays will not show a stress fracture, so you may need to get an MRI. I also agree with madama1975 about seeing an orthopedic physician and not a podiatrist.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Even if you were a forefoot-strike runner, it would be unlikely that you'd have sesamoid stress fractures. More damage would be done to your metatarsus. The shox have a significant drop iirc so you've got plenty of heel cushion and little forefoot cushion. It is likely inflamation as Thinking Skinny says. Take it easy for awhile and let yourself heal.

Getting started running is a long, slow process because you need to condition your body - including the balls of your feet - to handle a repetitive and relatively high-impact activity. On the plus side, your body is designed for it, so it will adjust in time.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I had a stress fracture when I first started running...I iced, took ibuprofen for the pain, and laid off all weight bearing exercise for about a month. When I did start running again, I started veeeery slowly.

My fracture was caused because I waited to purchase running shoes. I thought the old tennis shoes I had would be good enough to get me started. WRONG! I've yet to have a running related injury after buying good running shoes.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Hi there

Dont mess around, go direct to ER and get an x-ray then you will know. If it is a stress fracture you will delay the healing by waiting a week.

I had a stress fracture about 6 weeks ago, and am still in a boot. Its exactly what you described.

I went to ER got X-rayed and then started working with a doctor at a place called the running institute to make sure i'm recoving and being able to run properly again ASAP. You need to get into a boot and stablise it if it is a stress fracture.

Also, my dr told me the following
    - often caused by low VIT d levels - get them checked and supplement if nessasary.
    - often caused by women who wear high heels constantly and then change into flats (bosy not used to it, better to stay in heels!)
    - often caused bybad running shoes with no support (update every 3 months if you are running alot)
    - often caused byget yoru gait checked - you might need orthotics or a special type of shoe
    - oten caused by tight calves and hamstrings - puts more pressure on the foot

PM me with any questions, i'm 2 weeks away from boot freedom!

Anne
  • teerae326
    Hi there - is below your big toe area? It sounds like sesamoiditis. This is fairly common for runners. The pain is usually on toe off, under the big toe area. I have a shattered sesamoid in my right foot, these things all helped for me:

- alternate ice and heat, ending with ice
    - tennis ball - with your shoe off roll your foot up and down the ball, working the tendons on the bottom of your foot
    - toe lifts - this one helped me the most and was taught to me by a coach at Cressey Performance. With your shoe off, put your foot flat on the ground. Keeping all your other toes on the ground and not rolling your foot left or right, pick up the big toe..hold...put it back down. Repeat several times a day. It sounds so simple, but done consistently it really made a difference.
    - Anti-inflammatory - either Ibuprofen or Aleve. take the full dose 3 times a day for a couple of days but do it with food in your stomach.

Aside from that, stay off it a couple days. Wear cushioned shoes, even in the house. Some have had success with dancer's pads but they did nothing for me.

See if those things help, ultimately though it sounds like you may need to see a doctor. Stress fractures in the foot are difficult to heal and they cause a lot of problems in other areas like your knees and hips. If you do go to the doctor, make sure it's an orthopedic doctor specializing in feet, not a podiatrist.

Thank you for this. I will try some of the exercises, just in case it will help. I don't have pain behind the big toe, it really is between the ball of my foot and the outside edge. Thank you!
  • teerae326
    Ice, ice, baby! :wink:

Also, be aware that sometimes x-rays will not show a stress fracture, so you may need to get an MRI. I also agree with madama1975 about seeing an orthopedic physician and not a podiatrist.

It's been cold here so ice doesn't sound fun but I'll definitely try it out. I was thinking I could see my normal physician, but I will look up an ortho physician. Thank you!
  • teerae326
    Even if you were a forefoot-strike runner, it would be unlikely that you'd have sesamoid stress fractures. More damage would be done to your metatarsus. The shox have a significant drop iirc so you've got plenty of heel cushion and little forefoot cushion. It is likely inflamation as Thinking Skinny says. Take it easy for awhile and let yourself heal.

Getting started running is a long, slow process because you need to condition your body - including the balls of your feet - to handle a repetitive and relatively high-impact activity. On the plus side, your body is designed for it, so it will adjust in time.

Thanks for this. I hope that's all it is, which is why I thought maybe I should take some time before rushing to make an appointment. I'll try some ibuprofen and try icing it. Thanks again!
  • teerae326
    I had a stress fracture when I first started running...I iced, took ibuprofen for the pain, and laid off all weight bearing exercise for about a month. When I did start running again, I started veeeery slowly.

My fracture was caused because I waited to purchase running shoes. I thought the old tennis shoes I had would be good enough to get me started. WRONG! I've yet to have a running related injury after buying good running shoes.

I've been told that this was a big part of where I went wrong! I figured I would work up to needing good shoes but apparently it's most important when you first start... who knew?! Thanks!
  • teerae326
    Hi there

Dont mess around, go direct to ER and get an x-ray then you will know. If it is a stress fracture you will delay the healing by waiting a week.

I had a stress fracture about 6 weeks ago, and am still in a boot. Its exactly what you described.

I went to ER got X-rayed and then started working with a doctor at a place called the running institute to make sure i'm recoving and being able to run properly again ASAP. You need to get into a boot and stablise it if it is a stress fracture.

Also, my dr told me the following
    - often caused by low VIT d levels - get them checked and supplement if nessasary.
    - often caused by women who wear high heels constantly and then change into flats (bosy not used to it, better to stay in heels!)
    - often caused bybad running shoes with no support (update every 3 months if you are running alot)
    - often caused byget yoru gait checked - you might need orthotics or a special type of shoe
    - oten caused by tight calves and hamstrings - puts more pressure on the foot

PM me with any questions, i'm 2 weeks away from boot freedom!

Anne

Thanks for this information, Anne, as well as your PM. I'll respond there. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Dont mess around, go direct to ER and get an x-ray then you will know.

I don't know that an ER is the optimal place for a foot stress fracture diagnosis. I would make an appointment with a podiatrist or ortho instead. Personally, although I am not a doctor, I suspect it's more stress/inflammation/soft tissue related and would start with a chiro who does ART.
  • teerae326
    Dont mess around, go direct to ER and get an x-ray then you will know.

I don't know that an ER is the optimal place for a foot stress fracture diagnosis. I would make an appointment with a podiatrist or ortho instead. Personally, although I am not a doctor, I suspect it's more stress/inflammation/soft tissue related and would start with a chiro who does ART.

Thanks, I wasn't sure an ER was the way to go, either, but I'm open to suggestions. You're suggesting a chiropractor who does what now?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Metatarsalgia is a pretty common cause of pain in that area too:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metatarsalgia/DS00496

Regardless of what it is, most forefoot pain is worsened by shoes with a raised heel, because that puts more force on the forefoot. I would say about 90% of shoes - including most running shoes - have an elevated heel that can worsen forefoot problems. So consider wearing shoes with a low "heel to toe drop" (less than 5-6 mm). Not just for running, but for everyday shoes as well. You can slip in a gel pad under the ball of your foot for extra cushioning.
    Make sure to transition to low-heeled shoes slowly to avoid other problems.
  • teerae326

Regardless of what it is, most forefoot pain is worsened by shoes with a raised heel, because that puts more force on the forefoot. I would say about 90% of shoes - including most running shoes - have an elevated heel that can worsen forefoot problems. So consider wearing shoes with a low "heel to toe drop" (less than 5-6 mm). Not just for running, but for everyday shoes as well. You can slip in a gel pad under the ball of your foot for extra cushioning.

The Nikes I wear do have an elevated heel for the springs that are in them. I'll look into finding flatter shoes! Thank you very much!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I got a stress fracture in my foot (the pain was on the top of my foot but hurt like hell whenever I walked/put pressure on it). I went to the doc for an xray he they saw the tiny fracture. He had me wrap my foot in an ace bandage for 3 days, keep ice on it, take ibuprofen, and try not to put weight on it. I started running again after about a month if I remember correctly. Good luck! I know it sucks :(
  • teerae326
    I got a stress fracture in my foot (the pain was on the top of my foot but hurt like hell whenever I walked/put pressure on it). I went to the doc for an xray he they saw the tiny fracture. He had me wrap my foot in an ace bandage for 3 days, keep ice on it, take ibuprofen, and try not to put weight on it. I started running again after about a month if I remember correctly. Good luck! I know it sucks :(

This is very encouraging, thank you! It sounds like I need to see a doctor to confirm what it is at least, then do exactly what you said! Thank you for the tips!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member

The Nikes I wear do have an elevated heel for the springs that are in them. I'll look into finding flatter shoes! Thank you very much!

Don't pick your next pair on your own...you really, really need to be fitted for running shoes. Find a good running store in your area, and they should watch you run and then they can recommend shoes specifically for your style of running. I know that I run on the outsides of my feet, so I need shoes with more support there to help that problem.
  • teerae326

Don't pick your next pair on your own...you really, really need to be fitted for running shoes. Find a good running store in your area, and they should watch you run and then they can recommend shoes specifically for your style of running. I know that I run on the outsides of my feet, so I need shoes with more support there to help that problem.

That's my plan :) I don't know anything about athletic shoes so I definitely plan on being fitted. Thank you!