Little Frustrated...any recommendations, words of wisdom?

Options
I peaked in weight end of September at 231.6, went down to 224 by end of October by only half being mindful.

Started off November at 226.

I'm only 5' 3.5" and I have a desk job.

I know it's only been a little over two weeks almost three but I've been actively logging my days, some days were not so great but I logged them and tried to stay within my macro limits. I started C25K this month (I'm in week 3 right now), I've been doing some form of cardio (30 Day Shred, Zumba or an active walk) most of my non-C25K days. Previous to the start of month was was pretty close to nil. Increased my water a ton compared to what I was doing (which was almost nothing).

The scale is just NOT moving. I fluctuate between 222 and 225, this morning I was 223.4.

Feeling frustrated.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing an important piece of information?

I know my body can be stubborn but this stubborn?

I have sugar issues and by that I mean I know my body doesn't deal well with sugar (who's does really). I've had gestational diabtes, I have PCOS symptoms (haven't been diagnosed) so I know it is best for me to ease up on the carbs even carbs from high sugar vegetables.

I see other people who started with me are melting away by the week - great for them but I'm starting to feel defective.

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Do you eat back all your exercise calories? Half of them? Has you lost any weight at all, or are you still at exactly 226?

Don't ever, ever compare yourself to others. I've lost very little weight since like, May. And I still have quite a bit to lose. Instead of comparing myself to others who are doing great, I understand that I have some things going on in my life and eating at a deficit has taken a backburner right now, but at least I'm not gaining. You will always be disappointed when comparing to others.
  • Breena_Bean5
    Breena_Bean5 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Open your diary please? Also, how many calories are you taking in?

ALSO, muscle weighs more than fat so you could be burning it off but also gaining muscle. The scale is the f**king devil! I've been working my butt off trying to get the scale to move for well over a month now and haven't seen it budge. It's frustrating and makes me pissed. I try to stay focused as much as possible. I get unmotivated, I get discouraged but I ALWAYS stick to eating healthy even though I might not be shredding the pounds, I know that I'm eating healthy and it's doing my body some hella good. SO, it's hard to say "SCREW YOU SCALE, YOU DON'T RUN MY LIFE!!" But in reality, it does with all of us fat girls :-(
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thanks you.

So it does happen - the scale not moving. I did measure this morning and I did have the SLIGHTEST bit of shrinkage (chest and hips) but not around my middle. Grrr.

I opened my diary....feeling vulnerable but I did ask for it! :indifferent:
  • JTick
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary...your calories are really all over the place. Some days only 1100 (which is too few for you, BTW), and some days over 2500. Try to tighten those calories up...eat the ones you are supposed to, and try not to go over (I know! Easier said than done).

Also, do you weigh everything that goes in your mouth? Measuring cups are not accurate if it's not a liquid. Try weighing everything, tightening up your calories, and give it another couple weeks.
  • Raw_Bean
    Options
    I am a little all over, especially this last week.

No, I never thought of weighing anything other than cheese and meat.

I thought I had a decent handle on things but in reading the site about TDEE and BMR, I'm starting to gain a bit better picture.

I figured, eat at least 1200 each day and you should be golden, and if you burn some calories during the day it's icing on the cake. If you eat more one day, eating a little less (as in under 1200) it would all balance out. Starting to realize this thought is all wrong...
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Feeling frustrated.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing an important piece of information?

I know my body can be stubborn but this stubborn?

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning do to do afterward.

You seem to be able to look at yourself, and , honestly, that is great. Your progress is slower than you want, but to the slow and determined goes the prize!

Opening your diary is a good step. Keep it religiously and accurately. Ask for comments about it. Your friends here will do so, and if they don't find friends who will.

You can do this!
  • JTick
    Options
    I am the same height as you, but I think a bit more active, but I am also down to about 185. I eat 2,000 calories a day...my TDEE is somewhere around 2500. If I dropped to 1200, I would be so miserable.

I switched to the TDEE method rather than the MFP method because I couldn't handle eating a different amount of calories every day depending on exercise. I eat 2,000 regardless of if I ran 5 miles or it's a rest day. The nice thing about that...it forces me to exercise, because I calculate my TDEE around my planned exercise. If I don't exercise, I don't lose the weight, because my deficit disappears. I also find I don't binge quite as much, because again there's not days that I have to cut my calories.

ETA: Also, it is super important to weigh everything in ounces or grams (grams being more accurate). It will definitely open your eyes to how many calories you really are eating.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started in September. I've lost maybe 2 lbs in 2 and a half months. Actually, I haven't weighed myself in a couple of weeks because I got a bit depressed about it all and stopped tracking last week. This week I am trying hard to track again, even if I'm not quite sticking to my calorie goal. And I will step on the scale at some point this week and own up to it.

My problem is that I just don't want to be hungry. I need to be eating 1500-1700 to lose weight. But I'm generally eating 1900+ because I get so darn miserable restricting my food.

Anyway, I have no real words of wisdom. Just that there are plenty of us out there that haven't quite figured it all out yet either. But what's the alternative? To give up? No. I refuse to do that. I will keep plugging away, and I will try to figure out how to get there, even if I end up with only losing a pound a month (or less). And even maintaining is better than gaining.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The advice already given is good - follow it:
    - Calculate your TDEE - 20% and follow that. Aim for the value it gives you to be your average intake per day. You'll be eating more than 1200 Cals/day. You should be given your height, weight, and activity level. Don't be afraid to fuel yourself.
    - Weigh/measure everything you can. Weighing is more accurate than measuring.

My addition: Do all of the above, and be patient with yourself. You just started a bunch of new exercise. That causes your muscles to retain water until you are more used to it. The water will mask your fat loss until you either lose more fat weight than your retained water weight, or the water comes off. Usually, the water comes off first. It has taken me up to 2 wks to lose that retained water from the first time I started a new exercise or increased the exercise intensity, though many lose it in a couple of days to a week.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I am a little all over, especially this last week.

No, I never thought of weighing anything other than cheese and meat.

I thought I had a decent handle on things but in reading the site about TDEE and BMR, I'm starting to gain a bit better picture.

I figured, eat at least 1200 each day and you should be golden, and if you burn some calories during the day it's icing on the cake. If you eat more one day, eating a little less (as in under 1200) it would all balance out. Starting to realize this thought is all wrong...
    Eating more one day and less the next is fine, but if you're not eating at a deficit over time, then you're not going to make progress. How do your calories look when averaged out over the week? Definitely try weighing all your food, not just cheese and meat. You may be surprised by how inaccurate your logging is by not weighing stuff.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Sooo... I just want to be frustrated with you and let you know (and me know :)) that you aren't alone.

I dropped 8 pounds when I started back up from October to November. THen I went on vacation, lgained a pound, lost that back, and have seen no progress since in my weight. I have, however, lost two inches off my stomach and one underneath my bust - which is more of what I am looking to do anyways.

It was hard for me to do some self reflection but I realized the past few weeks I have allowed myself little treats I normally wouldn't - I had to miss a few work outs for one reason or another - and I still have a problem on the weekends sometimes.

So I know why the scale doesn't move - but it still sucks just as much.

Even little things might help jumpstart your metabolism. If you work, every hour get up and walk around even for 5 minutes. I used to feel dumb doing this until I realized smokers take breaks of at least 10 minutes, some every hour. Why can't I?

Good luck. Pick yourself up. Stick with it. You WILL get there!

Sorry for my own venting
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    A personal question, but what about your TOM? I usually retain 2-3 lbs (some women can retain 5 to 10 lbs) during this time a week before and during. After I tend to lose a couple of pounds from the retention. I notice you lost several pounds the first month, but now have been holding steady, that is why I ask.

You have had some great progress thus far, keep at it and you will see results!
  • Raw_Bean
    Options
    Thank you all very much - I've been driving myself nuts with this all! I didn't want to give up and I knew I couldn't continue as I was.

I really appreciate the responses and I have a new focus going forward!

It is also comforting to know I'm not the only one that can get lost in all this knowledge.
  • Raw_Bean
    Options
    Vent away :)

Love the walk idea - so true - if smokers can why can't we!

We will get there! :drinker: <-- double fisting water of course.
    Sooo... I just want to be frustrated with you and let you know (and me know :)) that you aren't alone.

I dropped 8 pounds when I started back up from October to November. THen I went on vacation, lgained a pound, lost that back, and have seen no progress since in my weight. I have, however, lost two inches off my stomach and one underneath my bust - which is more of what I am looking to do anyways.

It was hard for me to do some self reflection but I realized the past few weeks I have allowed myself little treats I normally wouldn't - I had to miss a few work outs for one reason or another - and I still have a problem on the weekends sometimes.

So I know why the scale doesn't move - but it still sucks just as much.

Even little things might help jumpstart your metabolism. If you work, every hour get up and walk around even for 5 minutes. I used to feel dumb doing this until I realized smokers take breaks of at least 10 minutes, some every hour. Why can't I?

Good luck. Pick yourself up. Stick with it. You WILL get there!

Sorry for my own venting