Stronglifts 5X5 help.

Options
Hi, I have some question about SL. If anyone can help me with it, it will be very much appreciated.

I started the SL programme today and I struggled to do that many volume with even just the bar.

My squats:
I was told my form is off and I have to admit that I feel it, too. But when I was training with dumbbells (not for SL, obviously), I was told that my form is good. Is the weight too heavy for me then? But that is only the weight of the bar. Does that mean SL may not be the programme for me? Or should I squat with lighter weights first before I start SL?

Bench press:
I struggled with the bench press too. I can only do about 3 sets of 3 reps with just the bar (20kg).

So, does anyone have any solution to this? Should I un-fluff myself with lower weights first before I start SL? Or any other answer?

Replies

• gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You already know my thoughts. But id say stick with the program. Use lighter weights. Progression. It will come. As for form. Check either the stronglifts site, youtube, or starting strength book for pointers. Proper form can make a lift better or easier. It should be your focus right now.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Does the gym have the smaller barbells that are fixed weight that are less than 20KGs? If so start with those then work up to the bar, it should go pretty quick.

BB squat form is quite different than DB form, I actually find form much easier to get on BB as the bar doesn't get in the way like DBs do.

3 type of BB squats:
    6O6yjPr.jpg?1
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    So there's the oly bar which is 45lbs.

Some gyms have a women's oly bar which I've been told is shorter and it's 35#.

And my gyms (and I've seen them at others) have bars that look like basically a stretched out dumbbell.
    They start at 10-15lbs and go up from there.

Similar to this but it should be straight: http://images.monstermarketplace.com/fitness-supplies-and-equipment/troy-12-sided-curl-bar-fixed-weight-set-20-110-lbs-urethane-800x525.jpg

I used them for warm up sets for bench and for my working sets for OHP until I could do the bar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Do goblets squats until you can get up to the bar weight.

20100615-lose-last-10-pounds-5-600x411.jpg

And yeah, dumbbell bench press.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd recommend using lighter weights until you have the form correct.

This'll have two effects:
    1. to get your body used to the form
    2. so your stabiliser muscles can get stronger

That's why when you squat or bench press with a smith machine your weight can be higher than without any assistance.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    Does the gym have the smaller barbells that are fixed weight that are less than 20KGs? If so start with those then work up to the bar, it should go pretty quick.

BB squat form is quite different than DB form, I actually find form much easier to get on BB as the bar doesn't get in the way like DBs do.

3 type of BB squats:
    6O6yjPr.jpg?1

Yes, I have used the smaller barbells before with the fixed weight. And my form was good. Are they any different then the Olympic bar? And if I were to use the smaller barbells, I wouldn't be able to use the squat rack because they don't quite fit in and I train alone.
  • runningforicecream
    Options

That's why when you squat or bench press with a smith machine your weight can be higher than without any assistance.

So I should be ditching the SL programme for the time being?
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Starting strength was a great choice for me, though I hate to admit I was terrified of hurting my knees. I just upped my squat weight more slowly; roughly 10 lbs every week. Starting with no weights for the first week, and then bar for the next.

I still spend a LOT of time on my initial warmup, but I don't feel pain at all anymore. Honestly squats and yoga have evolved into the best things I've ever done for general health.

Just to be clear: I'm suggesting sticking with it, even if you have to adjust your weight progression on squats.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    No..
    Unless I am misunderstanding something.
    Don't use the bars, but use dumbells or barbells.
    Start with 5lbs and make sure you can do 5 sets of 5 reps and every week after increase by 5 lbs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

So I should be ditching the SL programme for the time being?

No, just use lighter weights to build up the strength, as it is probably those smaller stabilizer's holding you back.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    No, just use lighter weights to build up the strength, as it is probably those smaller stabilizer's holding you back.

For me it was hip flexibility, but practice alone improved it quite a bit before I found yoga.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No don't ditch it, just squat for less weight using a dumbbell, or try using the lighter straight bars that are used for curling. If it's a flexibility thing, google "Limber 11". Great warmup.

If you do use a dumbbell, just keep in mind that the nuiances of form for the dumbbell squat are different than those with a barbbell on your back.

Not a big deal.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Start with body weight home, in front of a miror. Then add a broom to get used to something on your back and move your way up to the bar itself.

The broom sounds silly but that's how I started and it really helped me :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    skip body weight. mechanics are different for a BB squat than a BW squat.

Get a broom stick- something to put on your back that weighs less than 45 lbs.

work the form.
    Video
    get a form check
    keep working form- simultaniously keep working OTHER squats that do not require the bar.
    get the bar- start working that
    progressively load up.

bam. winning everywhere.
  • runningforicecream
    Options
    So, if I get all off you correctly, I should be following the concept of SL but start with a lighter weight? And another question, if I train with a lighter barbell, is it alright for me to do them without a squat rack? I tried using those lighter bars on the squat rack but they don't quite fit.

PS: sorry if my questions are amateurish, but I am exactly that. A beginner. And thank you, guys!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    So, if I get all off you correctly, I should be following the concept of SL but start with a lighter weight? And another question, if I train with a lighter barbell, is it alright for me to do them without a squat rack? I tried using those lighter bars on the squat rack but they don't quite fit.

PS: sorry if my questions are amateurish, but I am exactly that. A beginner. And thank you, guys!

That is entirely up to you. Really the thing is that poor form will make the move awkward. With correct form upping the weight will be a piece of cake. I suggest trying with the broom and getting used to the form and then switching to the bar alone. It's 45lbs and should be confortable to work with at first.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

work the form.
    Video
    get a form check
    keep working form- simultaniously keep working OTHER squats that do not require the bar.
    progressively load up.

bam. winning everywhere.

Gameplan achieved.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

work the form.
    Video
    get a form check
    progressively load up.

bam. winning everywhere.

Gameplan achieved.

winners always have plans ;)

Yes to the first question

And no to the second- you don't NEED a rack if you are using a bar you can manipulate- go ahead flex that common sense (not an insult- just saying- go for it). I whip upwards of 100 lbs around without a rack- but as I get tired I ask for help.

do what's smart- and safe- and REASONABLE for you. :)

now- go forth- and be fabulous!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What was wrong with your form? Knees caving in? Leaning forward on your toes? Hips pulling under at the bottom? Not getting deep enough? Back not straight? Chest not staying up?

Did the weight seem heavy to you? Did you think you had plenty of strength to complete 5 reps? Could you have done 15 reps with bad form?
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    what was the issue with your form doing squats. you should get your form down without any weight to get the right feeling for the squat. start with dumbbells or a kettle bell and do goblet squats or plie' squats. work your weight up. i started with the bar then moved up over time. take your time, dont give up!