Running vs Walking

Options
I am a walker (average 2 miles per day at 4 MPH). I ran my first 5K a few weeks ago to challenge myself. Since then, I have been making myself run figuring that it is good for me. BUT I don't like to run. It is difficult for me and I pretty much stink at it. Are there any MAJOR health benefits to running vs walking? I know I can save time by running vs walking, but if I am going to kill myself running (because that is what it feels like right now), I want to know that it is worth it!!! Thoughts???

Replies

• Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you hate running, but love walking, then walk. Yes, with running you can get your heart rate higher in less time, but walking fast (like you do) is also a great calorie burn.

You're also much more likely to stick with something you enjoy.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the better you get at running. Keep at it. Find a good soundtrack to listen to.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Since running will raise your HR more than walking the biggest benefit will be increase heart health, other benes would be: burns more cals (per minute and per distance), increase endurance, if you are late it will get you there faster, ability to get away if need be, translates over to playing sports, etc.

Start with Couch to 5K, combines walking and jogging intervals.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Your calorie burn is a lot greater with running. On days that I can't handle running, I walk at a steep incline and it gets my heart rate up just as high and boosts my calorie burn. I second having a good playlist. I find it's so much easier to run with fast paced, upbeat music. I used to hate running and I never did it. I've been at it for about three months and I love it now.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You need to give a solid couple months to running to be sure if you like / don't like it. Running is definitely a chore when you struggle just to finish 5k. After a couple months you should be able to run 5k comfortably (be able to maintain a conversation for the entire run), and then you'll have a better sense of whether you enjoy it or not.

That said, if you like walking, maybe you should just stick with it. You could make it more challenging / give yourself a better burn by walking hills / trails or wearing a backpack.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I am a walker (average 2 miles per day at 4 MPH). I ran my first 5K a few weeks ago to challenge myself. Since then, I have been making myself run figuring that it is good for me. BUT I don't like to run. It is difficult for me and I pretty much stink at it. Are there any MAJOR health benefits to running vs walking? I know I can save time by running vs walking, but if I am going to kill myself running (because that is what it feels like right now), I want to know that it is worth it!!! Thoughts???
    your trying to run too fast. Run slow even if it's slower than walking you should be able to hold a conversation. Running works your muscles in a different way as the biomechanics are different than walking
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I started walking and fell in love with running so I do it several times per week. I would say is stick with what you like to do and if that is walking I say go for it and do what you love to do. The best exercise is the one we do consistently!
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I hated running at first but the more I done it the easier it got and I found that I love it. I have completed a 5K---a major accomplishment that I never thought I would ever do. Try running 1 day a week and walking the others :happy:
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think there is a BIG difference. I would change from long distance running to sprints. Walking and long distance will leave your body skinny, soft, flabby and scrawney until your butt-less. Sprinting, on the other hand, will do wonderful things and leave your body strong and awesome. :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Consider doing both. There is one theory set (Mark Sisson - Marks Daily Apple) that believes we are best served exercising like our ancestors did (walk alot, sprint from time to time, lift heavy things). I won't go into all of the why's and wherefore's, but it has worked for me. And this approach allowed me to complete a 12 mile run without ever running more than a couple of miles (sprints and walks) in any one session (I did walk more than 12 miles a few times).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Are there any MAJOR health benefits to running vs walking?

Yes. There is a long, long list of physiological improvements that comes with running, covering everything from muscle micro-structure, to improved blood flow throughout the body, etc etc etc. And, of course, it burns twice as many net calories per mile as walking (2 miles walking doesn't burn diddly). Not to mention it improves performance in most athletic pursuits, for those of us who still get out and play.

But if you hate it, then don't do it, because the odds are you won't build up properly and will therefore increase the likelihood of injury. Find an activity you do enjoy.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    My own personal experience is that I see more definition from adding running into my workouts. I still walk and do other cardio but while running isn't fun I'm finding I feel great afterwards so that's why I continue. A few things I've learned, breathe in the nose and out the mouth, slow your pace down and double up on the support for the girls. I was suffering from side pains when I started and since making a few minor changes I'm actually starting to enjoy it, I don't run with music or anything I just soak up the surroundings and lose myself in the run, it helps clear the mind.
    I'm sure you'll get Manu more comments on what the best thing to do is everyone seems to have all the answers so I'm just sharing my personal experience. Good luck to you!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have NOT loved running in the past, but I am beginning to love it. I think, for me, the idea of constantly striving for a goal helps motivate me to exercise. I am finding that it is helping my low self- esteem also. Running is partly a mind game and knowing that I am competing with myself keeps me consistent in running. I am a "returning" runner and have just started back running about 4 months ago. I see changes in my body even though I am not considered a "fast" runner. While I would not try to talk someone into exercising a certain way, I do see positive changes in both physical and mental aspects of my body.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think there is a BIG difference. I would change from long distance running to sprints. Walking and long distance will leave your body skinny, soft, flabby and scrawney until your butt-less. Sprinting, on the other hand, will do wonderful things and leave your body strong and awesome. :)

Or you could lift weights on the non-running days to avoid those things too.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I cant run, had an ACL, but I fast walk on the tread mill and use the eliptical........great way of cardio for me, but again ,Im 58 ,so anything I do is great, lol

really, fast walk , it saves the knees...............
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Not exactly what you asked, because you'll find every possible answer on this site and on the net. Ultimately, it's up to you what you'll believe and follow.

I will add this - running is something that everyone believes they know how to do, but it's DEFINITELY a skill activity, like building a desk or swimming.

Make sure you give it a fair shot before you decide to move on; spend some small measure of time making sure you're running with proper form before you dump it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/perfect-form
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There is one theory set (Mark Sisson - Marks Daily Apple) that believes we are best served exercising like our ancestors did (walk alot, sprint from time to time, lift heavy things)..

It has been demonstrated over and over and over again that Mark Sisson doesn't know squat about how our ancestors did things.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For the most part running and walking burn ***ABOUT*** the same amount of calories over a given distance. So from a time-management perspective, running is more efficient at burning calories.

Walking will always be better for you than "not running".

I've found that running makes my hikes (especially my ascents) MUCH easier. I can maintain a much faster pace over harder terrain, and with heavier loads. Sure, I probably would've eventually gotten the same benefit from jst walking and hiking, but it comes down to that "time management": thing again. The progress I've made in two months of running trumps the progress of the past year and a half of just hiking and walking.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I HATED it!!!! It was hard and boring and overall HORRIBLE. I stuck with it because I was looking to get a nice calorie burn in the shortest amount of time.

At first, I had trouble sticking with it because I genuinely hated and it was hard to get out of bed at 5:00 in the morning to do something I hated. I decided to motivate myself by signing up for a half marathon. Most of my friends and all of my family thought I was nuts. I could barely run a mile and I was going to train to run 13.1.

I figured that if I signed up for a paid for a big race like this - I would have to stay on track or I'd be a total failure on race day and I'm too competitive to allow myself to be a total failure.

I stuck with it and got up and ran even though it pretty much sucked. As I got stronger and started running the longer distances I started to get excited by how far I was able to push myself and still keep going.

I wasn't trying to set any speed records, just get through the distance and on the day of the race I only had one goal and that was to run the entire race (no walk breaks).

It wasn't until I finished that race that I liked running - and in fact, realized that I LOVED running. I couldn't wait to sign up for my next race.

It's been 3 years since that first half marathon. Now I've run a total of 7 half marathons and several various K races in between. I run 4 days a week and even though it's still hard work, I love every minute of it.

My advice to you would be to stick with it a little longer and push yourself through the my legs hurt, I can't breathe, this really sucks phase and you will see how fun and rewarding running can be.

:flowerforyou:
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't much like running, but I do intervals of running on my walks. A 1/2 km here, 1 km there raises your heart rate and is not so difficult. In my experience, I don't burn that many more calories running 5kms than I do walking it at a brisk pace, but it is done faster. More time for the fun stuff.