Invisalign is impeding on my eating habits...

Options
Anybody else out here in MFP land wearing invisalign braces. I just started my journey with invisalign on Tuesday. Well you know, you have to brush your teeth and the trays after every meal and that has cut my meals back to 3 instead of the 3 meals and 2 snacks that I've become accustomed to. I should say I cut back the meals because it's too much of a hassle to continue brushing my teeth at work and anywhere else for that matter that isn't home. Any insight, help or suggestions are gladly welcomed. Need more friends for continued weight-loss motivation as well. Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have just finished orthodontic treatment with an Inman aligner. It's similar. I pretty much wore it full time so only took it out to eat! It was tough at first having to bring a toothbrush everywhere and also the brace was tricky and sore to take in and out at the beginning! I soon got into the routine of eating breakfast at home and putting it in before I headed off to uni, I then took it out once to eat lunch, brushed my teeth and out it back in before heading off to class. That was it until I got home at 5 30 for dinner :) I ended up cutting out my mid morning snack and tea because it was just too much hassle! I'm now only wearing the retainer at night which is great! Just one tip! I found if I was going to be somewhere where I was eating but couldn't brush my teeth I would bring some sugar free gym to chew for about 10 minutes after I eat! It leaves your mouth pretty fresh before putting the brace back in! :)
    Good luck!!!
  • lilahk95
    lilahk95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Congrats on completing your ortho treament. I hope you are happy with your results. I have to wear the invisalign all the time too, except when eating and drinking anything other than water. Thanks for the tips. One day at a time right...lol...ugh!
  • Bee_629
    Bee_629 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm supposed to be getting Invisiline next month! I'm super excited but wasn't expecting it to interfere with my diet! And the bathroom at work is soooo far away. I wonder how that'll effect me...
  • lilahk95
    lilahk95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my bathroom at work isn't exactly close either but I have to make this work. I've already shelled out too much money to quit now. I figure I'll develop a routine eventually but right now it's just a pain in the butt.
  • MamawChristy
    MamawChristy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have just started my Invisalign and I am trying to figure out new routines too! Really changes the way I have been eating smaller meals and snacks, but I am trying to figure it out. I figure I can make it work, since I will have them only 30 weeks for the top and less for the bottom. Right now my teeth are sore since I am at the beginning! I would be happy to add both of you as friends!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday so I am slowly trying to figure out tricks of the trade to make things less annoying. So far, I think this will help with my weight loss as I can't just "grab a bite to eat" anymore!

I've tried drinking non-water drinks with a straw and so far so good - anyone else have any tips?
  • pan150
    pan150 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got my invisalign yesterday. I am thrilled. Not only will I have great teeth at the end. I think it will help my diet tremendously!
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    Well, about 5 months in and so far so good, though I have to be careful to not eat MORE when they're out to make up for not eating when they're in! :\
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    could you replace some of the teeth brushing with mouthwash maybe? like a few times a day? could be less cumbersome
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    ^I sometimes chew (sugar free) gum in between, depending on what I eat/drink (it does a decent job "cleaning" my teeth and is so much easier).
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ... So far, I think this will help with my weight loss as I can't just "grab a bite to eat" anymore!

That seems to be a good mindset... Keep your eye, mind and appetite on the prize.

Good luck to everyone.
  • boegeholda
    boegeholda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know this post is older, but I just got Invisalign yesterday so I was seeing if anyone else posted about eating with it! I am just concerned that I will eat more during meals because I will be eating less frequently. Have you had luck sticking to your goals with the Invisalign? How is the process going? My freaking mouth is so sore I've been sticking to mushy foods!
  • atomiclauren
    Options
    Now that I've had them for about 7 months I have gotten much better at taking them in and out and they hurt much less (not sure if I'm just better at it or if they just don't fit as tightly as the first few sets).

I have been pretty good about sticking to my goals and if I haven't, well, I can't blame the Invisalign :-\

Curious - how many trays are you going to have?