DeToxing

So, I have finally gotten back on the bandwagon after becoming a bit panicky about the holidays (I haven't seen my mother in two years and she's planning a family portrait and I'm 20pounds heavier than last time I saw her and she has ALWAYS been super critical of my weight even when I was absolutely at a healthy weight-- she has been obese most of her life and I think she just doesn't want that for her kids but I don't thin she realizes that it really instills insecurity especially if you are already at a good weight).

Moving on, I picked up Woman's World the other day (because it had my favorite master chef, Chef Carla Hall on the cover) and inside it had a smoothie detox. I usually discount any WW "diet" because they have never seemed doable in my opinion. And I have always discounted detoxes because I have been the person who is CONSTANTLY hungry. Lately, this has changed (I became vegetarian, not sure if that's why). This WW smoothie, "the detox prescription" actually looks completely doable and looks like it would keep a person full throughout the day (three smoothies a day, plus almond milk-- smoothies consist of things like banana, pears, sweet potato, water, ice, kale, coconut oil, cinnamon) and for you to drink all the green tea and water as possible (and almond milk for a morning snack). Seems like filling smoothies and I have been drinking green and black tea off and on (although not always logging it).

So, has anyone had luck with detoxes? Are they as great for your body as some people claim? I've never actually done one before because it seemed crazy and I was always having the munchies (for whatever reason, this seems to have stopped recently).

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Nope, your organs are perfectly capable (and expected) to detox/cleanse your body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    You really won't find much support on MFP about detox because there isn't anything to detox. Your liver and kidneys always detox your body. Most of the detoxes are just very low calorie and low sodium diets. You can get the same results with lots of veggies and whole foods.

The best thing to do is get a food scale, weigh your portions and be meticulous about your tracking. With 30 lbs to lose, set your account to 1 lb per week and do a combination of weight training and cardio/HIIT. WT will help maintain your muscle and the cardio will allow you to eat more calories.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member

I've never actually done one before because it seemed crazy

What has changed now? If you're already eating healthy, what are you hoping this will achieve? 30 pounds is very doable with a healthy calorie deficit and maybe throw in some exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    There isn't any peer reviewed clinical study that shows that ingestion of any food or drink detoxes anything from your body. The claims from any companies/persons saying there is are out there saying it to sell you a program or product. Create a problem, then one can sell a solution to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    You really won't find much support on MFP about detox because there isn't anything to detox. Your liver and kidneys always detox your body. Most of the detoxes are just very low calorie and low sodium diets. You can get the same results with lots of veggies and whole foods.

The best thing to do is get a food scale, weigh your portions and be meticulous about your tracking. With 30 lbs to lose, set your account to 1 lb per week and do a combination of weight training and cardio/HIIT. WT will help maintain your muscle and the cardio will allow you to eat more calories.

Appreciate this. I've been trying for two years now and I've only ever lost weight when I get on birth control pills. I have a food scale, I just don't make good use of it. Been doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred.

Not sure if the account is set to 1lb per week, will check my settings. Thanks!
  • kikilita
    There isn't any peer reviewed clinical study that shows that ingestion of any food or drink detoxes anything from your body. The claims from any companies/persons saying there is are out there saying it to sell you a program or product. Create a problem, then one can sell a solution to it.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, I always wondered about this, but all the detoxes claim someone said something (and it's not quite like a fast). I have a friend who is very fit and healthy (has her own trainer, goes to the gym two hours almost daily, etc) and she regularly detoxes so I was just wondering if I missed a memo somewhere.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Nope, your organs are perfectly capable (and expected) to detox/cleanse your body.

QFT!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    "someone said something" isn't a very relaible endorsement, to be honest.

You know this is a crazy idea - start weighing your food, carry on doing your shred, and do this for YOU, not your mother.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member

I have a food scale, I just don't make good use of it.
    This is probably the best place to focus. Commit yourself to weighing your food and tracking everything you eat, while aiming for whatever calorie goal you get when set to 1 lb a week loss.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    You have a liver- let it do it's job.

Have smoothies because you like them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, I always wondered about this, but all the detoxes claim someone said something (and it's not quite like a fast). I have a friend who is very fit and healthy (has her own trainer, goes to the gym two hours almost daily, etc) and she regularly detoxes so I was just wondering if I missed a memo somewhere.
    The key is she trains and eats what she needs. Her trainer is probably giving her the BS about detoxing (since it's a common belief in the fitness industry). Luckily, there are many trainers like myself who do actual research outside of what the fitness industry perpetuates.

IDEA Fitness member
  • psuLemon

Appreciate this. I've been trying for two years now and I've only ever lost weight when I get on birth control pills. I have a food scale, I just don't make good use of it. Been doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred.

Do you have any medical conditions?

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Do 4-6 weeks of tracking all food (on your scale), while having your account set to 1 lb per week and lightly active (do not eat exercise calories as lightly active compensates for your exercise
    2. Adjust macro's to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats (allows you to hit 1g of pro and .35 of fats per lb of lbm
    3. After 4-6 weeks, if there is no weight loss, evaluate a small reduction in calories or possible an eliminating diet. Before you do this, I would recommend posting again asking for more help.
  • kikilita

I have a food scale, I just don't make good use of it.
    This is probably the best place to focus. Commit yourself to weighing your food and tracking everything you eat, while aiming for whatever calorie goal you get when set to 1 lb a week loss.

Thanks! Yes, I will focus more on my food scale and changing my setting.
  • kikilita

IDEA Fitness member

The key is she trains and eats what she needs. Her trainer is probably giving her the BS about detoxing (since it's a common belief in the fitness industry). Luckily, there are many trainers like myself who do actual research outside of what the fitness industry perpetuates.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, she does it based on her trainer's recommendations and I'm not going to claim to know more than him! So I really appreciate your input, thanks so much for your time and kind words and advice!
  • gfbike
    gfbike Posts: 6 Member
    Good advice!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    No reason to detox, your body does a good job of cleansing itself.
  • kikilita

1. Do 4-6 weeks of tracking all food (on your scale), while having your account set to 1 lb per week and lightly active (do not eat exercise calories as lightly active compensates for your exercise
    2. Adjust macro's to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats (allows you to hit 1g of pro and .35 of fats per lb of lbm
    3. After 4-6 weeks, if there is no weight loss, evaluate a small reduction in calories or possible an eliminating diet. Before you do this, I would recommend posting again asking for more help.

(Don't know if mfp has multi quote)

Okay, I will definitely do that and adjust my macros as well. Super, SUPER happy to get such great advice, thank you SO MUCH! I do have pretty severe IBS. Am going to adjust my macros now and see what happens in the next few weeks based on it!
  • psuLemon

(Don't know if mfp has multi quote)

Okay, I will definitely do that and adjust my macros as well. Super, SUPER happy to get such great advice, thank you SO MUCH! I do have pretty severe IBS. Am going to adjust my macros now and see what happens in the next few weeks based on it!

From discussions with my wife's GI doctor and a few articles, I have seen some evidence that would suggest a gluten free and possible lower carb diet would be beneficial for people with IBS. We discovered this while my wife was having some stomach issues caused by pancreatitis and working with her heart condition.

With that said, it might be better to try 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats. And if you want, increase fats another 5-10% with a corresponding reduction to carbs.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Sorry, that looks absolutely miserable. Just eat healthy foods every day, maybe add a small amount of lemon water in the earlier after portion of the day and you'll be fine. Your body naturally detoxes itself. As long as your are giving it the proper nutrients, drinking plenty of water, and avoiding all processed foods, you'll detox naturally.

If you want to lose weight, just eat at a caloric deficit, do cardio/weights, and eat back calories.
  • biorach
    biorach Posts: 60 Member
    I'm going to get bashed for this but here are a few articles that I found interesting. I agree that our organs are completely capable of cleansing themselves HOWEVER we are no longer breathing in clean air. Most of the food products in stores are full of synthetic chemicals that our bodies are unable to digest. If our subsistence is majorly consisting of chemical-ridden calories, how could our body cleanse itself?

Detoxing was unnecessary when our calories came from natural foods made without preservatives, insecticides, or pesticides but now detoxing may very well be necessary...

A biochemist friend of mine told me she would never eat anything made in a lab. Just something to think about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/detox-tips_b_1289488.html
    -Dr. Mark Hyman

http://draliciastanton.com/the-toxin-weight-loss-connection
    -Dr. Alicia Stanton

http://www.cbn.com/700club/guests/bios/drbarry_sears100108.aspx
    -Dr. Berry Sears

http://www.phoenix.edu/forward/perspectives/2013/11/are-environmental-toxins-making-people-fat.html