Running vs Walking

Options

Replies

• Shagios
    Shagios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn.......keep in mind that you must do what works for you. As long as you are (A.) moving, (B.) eating nutritional food and (C.) feeling good about yourself (that is the most important one) then keep at it. If you feel up to challenging yourself with a run from time to time, go for it, if you want to walk then walk but make sure you are challenging yourself. (Skip if it makes you happy)
    I have found that all the diets and exercise programs and that includes all of the opinionated "Our way is the best way" doesn't mean squat if you don't like it.
    It is your body and only you know when it feels right. :-)
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Running is more efficient than walking, if you're looking at it from a time perspective. I'm with everyone else that says just give it some time. I've always HATED running. I'd much rather walk, lift, do TF, circuit training, HIIT's, etc, but, I sucked it up and made myself run this past summer to train for a my 1st race (a 3.5 mile mudrun). Once I got over the mentality that I hated it - and after I spent a couple hours on google "learning how to run properly" - I shocked myself by starting to really enjoy running. It took me a good month of jogging 3-4 times per week to finally feel like I wasn't going to die. There really are do's and don'ts, so as silly as it may sound, you might want to do a little research on form. You use different muscles running and boy oh boy, you've got to build up your cardivascular endurance. I'm not an expert, by any means. But, don't give up too quickly. Give it some time and see if you begin to enjoy it.
  • DawnCravesHim
    DawnCravesHim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For the most part running and walking burn ***ABOUT*** the same amount of calories over a given distance.

Net calorie burn is double for running, over equivalent distances.

net burn running = 0.63 * body weight in pounds * miles run
    net burn walking = 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked
  • DawnCravesHim
    DawnCravesHim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think I will give it a little more time. I admire anyone who runs and really would like to love it. As I have gotten healthier, I have found that I kind of like the mental challenges. Thanks again.
  • robsonv
    robsonv Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just to play Devil's Advocate (cause I can't resist ;-) why would anyone want to do something that they "hate", spend months trying to convince themselves that they love it, finally get hooked on the fact that they can refer to themselves as a "runner" (because that does hold prestige in society for some reason?), only to end up injuring themselves or finding out that they have been slowly destrying the ligaments, tendons, joints etc. in their legs from the constant impact?.....Just sayin'
    I know the "runners" in the group are going to hate this post.....sorry, just my opinion :)
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    When I started walking routinely, I would also run from time to time and soon realized that running sucks. But the more I ran, obviously the easier it got to run further, although I'm nowhere near running a 5K or anything. I am very analytical and determined to get the most out of my limited time exercising, and strictly from a calorie burning aspect, the reasearch shows that running is more beneficial than walking per given distance, not double as previously stated, but more. Here's why I believe that:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn?page=single

Pay particular attention to the CSU research publication. If you truly cannot bring yourself to run, increasing the incline of your walk will drastically increase your burn rate, I read somewhere a 12% increase for every 1% grade incline. Where I walk, it's a 7% grade, thus I'm burning 84% more calories vs walking on level ground. Now, you say, "well I have to come back down, won't I lose all of those extra calories?" Not necessarily, since you are working different muscle groups, research (somewhere) shows you only lose about 6% on the way back down.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking. Running is good too. Chances of injury walking are lower than running.

I heard a segment on NPR once, that basically we were not built for long distance running, but rather for running short distances and walking long ones. So if you want to run, do it and be careful, but if you want to walk, you're good to go and just make sure you're challenging yourself.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I think for adults who start running after being sedentary, it is hard work and it sucks at first. You do burn more calories over the same distance because unlike walking you are momentarily off the ground, so you are essentially hopping your entire body weight from foot to foot during your run. It is also harder on the joints. If you can't breathe or can't talk when you are running then you are probably going too fast (even though when you are starting off you are likely going really slow, it is still too fast for you). If you start having knee, hip or ankle pain there are a number of causes--just search for the on this site. Many ideas to help.

Try the Couch to 5K program--many people feel they ease into running and they are very satisfied with it. Some people still find they hate running. I have no science to back me up, but I think the C25K program is better than just running on your own because it eases you into it slowly and you are less likely to get injured.

I like running (well, for me, more like jogging) because I can burn more calories so I can eat more :) Plus my son likes it and we get to do 5Ks together.

If you find you like walking and not running--that's fine! Like people say, the best exercise is the one that you like doing.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and a HRM. I like to run 6-7mph at a 1% incline. My endurance is high so i maintain 160bpm. However, I also walk 3.5mph at a 10% incline in which i also maintain 160bpm. The choice is yours.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I heard a segment on NPR once, that basically we were not built for long distance running, but rather for running short distances and walking long ones.

If that were true, the greatest concentration of distance runners wouldn't be coming from East Africa - our ancestral home before the Great Migration.

IMO they have it exactly backwards - humans evolved for extended LISS - it's the folks who migrated out of Africa that have lost some of that ability along the way.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I too am mainly a walker. I was beginning to run when I injuried myself, not by running, so I am restricted to walking again and may not be given the green light on running for a long time. As long as you are moving you are doing the body good.

If you like walking then continue walking and work on upping your speed.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I *detest* running. It makes my boobs hurt, aggravates old injuries, and causes my asthma to flare. I run in bursts when umpiring or playing netball and I'm plenty fit enough for that. The rest of the time, I walk. Fast walking is actually better than slow jogging, I'm told.

Either way, clearly my excercise hasn't hindered my weight loss.... it's day 328 and I'm down 27 kg so far....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Either way, clearly my excercise hasn't hindered my weight loss.... it's day 328 and I'm down 27 kg so far....

correct, exercise has very little to do with weight loss. That comes from a caloric deficit (can be diet alone, or a combo of diet and exercise) Exercise just lets you eat more to achieve the same weight loss (deficit)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are fitness wise. I do a lot of walking and I don't run (anymore) because it's really hard on my joints and really screws with my lifting. Walking is great exercise but you aren't going to make substantial leaps in your cardiovascular fitness just walking. I walk primarily for recovery work and to just move a little...I cycle three times per week or so to really push my cardiovascular fitness level and make improvements in that RE.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I absolutely despised running my whole life.... i'd rather have gotten a root canal.. (ok.. maybe not.. but ykwim lol) I tried it last year.. same result.. hated it.. lasted a week.. no thank you.. Then 2 months ago I decided I wanted to dress up as Wenda and run a 5k with my friends. So I signed up 3 weeks before the thing occurred and started walking/jogging. It was a BLAST. I love it now. Now I run everyday. Either outside or on a treadmill. i also walk everyday at lunch. A mile each time. I have signed up for the chasing santa 5k and I cannot wait to do it! If you want to run, then find your motivation and go get it! That's what it took me. I had to find like minded people and be in the right frame of mine and ready. Plus running used to be a lot harder.. i'm in much better shape now. That helps too.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I think everyone hates running at first. I think it took me about a year to actually enjoy it.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I dont know much as far as the benefits go, however I hated running at first but i really wanted to say " im a runner". Just like I really want to say " yea...im going out for sushi", but I still dont like sushi. I set mini goals with running and now enjoy seeing how far I can push myself. I started with a 12 min mile 45 days ago, and yesterday, ran an 8:30. I was excited! stick with it for a little while before you make a decision to only walk, or do a little of both :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

correct, exercise has very little to do with weight loss. That comes from a caloric deficit (can be diet alone, or a combo of diet and exercise) Exercise just lets you eat more to achieve the same weight loss (deficit)

The idea that exercise doesn't aid in weight loss is one of the most persistent myths on MFP.

Going from inactive to active - which can only be achieved by exercise - results in increased BMR, above and beyond that which would be expected from changes in body composition. That means that even after you net out exercise calories, an active body will lose extra weight for the same caloric intake, on the order of 1 pound/month.