Sodium

Options
Stoshew71
Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
So what is the verdict with sodium and if you exercise and sweat heavily?

I usually stay under my sodium goals (2500 mg per MFP) or if I go over not too much. At most maybe hit 3500 mg a couple of times.

But if you sweat a lot, you loose a lot of sodium (as well as potassium and other electrolytes). I run every morning on the treadmill and usually have what feels like maybe 3 lbs of sweat on my t-shirt. I try and hit my potassium goals (which is the only other electrolyte that MFP tracks).

So my question is, do I get bonus points for sweating a lot? If so, how much do I have to sweat in order to use up more than 2500 mg of sodium? Would I also need to boost other electrolytes? Most likely I would assume yes, but what should I be concerned about and how do I track it? I looked at Gatorade and Powerade and they pretty much sodium and water. Didn't seem much like any other electrolyte.

Anyway, wanted to get others' opinions on the subject. Thanks!!!

Replies

• badfeet67
    Options
    I'm usually about the same (near or slightly over on sodium) and I don't ever add salt my food. Seems like it is hard to stay under that number.

What are you doing to reach your potassium goals? I'm usually WAAAYYYY under for that (somewhere between 1500-2500). Even if I ate several bananas a day, it seems hard to reach the target.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I eat more fish and other high potassium foods. Watercress and baby spinage are great. So are sweet potatoes (also high in Vit A). So are almonds. Go to Walmart and go to the canned beans section. Kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans are all high in potassium. I get the Great Value brand cause I find most other brands don't label their potassium content. Also, my 1% milk has a good amount of potassium.

Google high potassium foods. That is how I got started cause I noticed I was way under.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I forgot Advocados. Also high in potassium. I never ate them before and now I add a half an advocado in my salad with baby spinage and watercress. All stuff I never did before.

EDITED: I also drink coconut water now. Very high in potassium.