Advanced hot yoga

I know, I know, it's been posted before, but I still don't really know how to log this. I do level 2 vinyasa classes in 95+ degree rooms. How do you guys log this exercise? It has to burn more than the 160ish that I log when I do a less advanced flow or hatha class! Do devices like FitBits or HR monitors work with yoga? What I am doing now is just logging it as is (160 something) and calling it good. I am curious though how others do it. My lifestyle is set to the most sedentary setting because I am a therapist and sit most of the day, so calories burned actually mean something for me.

Anyways, any active yogis out there let me know your thoughts. :bigsmile:

Replies

• trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    I use my heart rate monitor during yoga and log those calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    In my opinion, a HRM in a hot room overestimates your burn. You HR increases just due to the heat. I've worn a HRM in Bikram classes (105 degrees, 90 minutes) and gotten readings around 800 calories, at goal weight. There's no way I could burn more than maybe 400 in that time. I did it a lot and would've lost weight if I'd burned 800 per session.

I personally would use an activities database, but I don't log so I have no idea how realistic those are. I don't think I'd ever log more than 300 calories for an hour of challenging yoga.

A Fitbit will be useless for yoga. Same with the rest of those type tools.
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    In my opinion, a HRM in a hot room overestimates your burn. You HR increases just due to the heat. I've worn a HRM in Bikram classes (105 degrees, 90 minutes) and gotten readings around 800 calories, at goal weight. There's no way I could burn more than maybe 400 in that time. I did it a lot and would've lost weight if I'd burned 800 per session.

I personally would use an activities database, but I don't log so I have no idea how realistic those are. I don't think I'd ever log more than 300 calories for an hour of challenging yoga.

A Fitbit will be useless for yoga. Same with the rest of those type tools.

800 calories?! Yikes! Yeah, that has to be way off. You perfectly outlined my concerns with monitoring caloric burn in yoga, the heat raises the HR monitor reading and FitBits don't adequately measure yogic movement. I'm with you, I would never input more than 300. I will likely just keep underlogging calories burned and enjoy yoga, thats ultimately why I do it anyways! :) Thanks for the response!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I wear my hrm in hot pilates and I've never noticed an unrealstic burn. If anything I'm expecting it to read more because the class is so challenging.