Stronglifts 5X5 help.

Options
2»

Replies

• runningforicecream
    Options
    Thanks all! Guess I will stick to it, with a little tweaking involved.

@rick_po, Apparently my knees are caving in and I am a little wobbly. Funny thing is that when I used one of those 15kg fixed weight bar, my form was still ok. I guess the 5kg makes all the difference there.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What was wrong with your form? Knees caving in? Leaning forward on your toes? Hips pulling under at the bottom? Not getting deep enough? Back not straight? Chest not staying up?

Did the weight seem heavy to you? Did you think you had plenty of strength to complete 5 reps? Could you have done 15 reps with bad form?
    I'd also caution that just because someone told you that your form was off doesn't necessarily mean your form is off...

There's a lot of bros at the gym who think they know more than they actually do.

I'm also not saying that your form was right, just that I wouldn't trust a random person in the gym to know what he was talking about. The more you're in the weight room the more bad advice, inefficient techniques and outright dangerous stuff you'll see/hear.

If I have someone mention a form issue to me, I generally thank them, finish off my workout, and pull out my copy of starting strength later that night to check their comment.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd recommend using lighter weights until you have the form correct.

This'll have two effects:
    1. to get your body used to the form
    2. so your stabiliser muscles can get stronger

That's why when you squat or bench press with a smith machine your weight can be higher than without any assistance.

So I should be ditching the SL programme for the time being?

I'd say lower the weight to one that you can do properly right now, then build up from there, but don't stop what you're doing