Running vs Walking

Options

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Either way, clearly my excercise hasn't hindered my weight loss.... it's day 328 and I'm down 27 kg so far....

correct, exercise has very little to do with weight loss. That comes from a caloric deficit (can be diet alone, or a combo of diet and exercise) Exercise just lets you eat more to achieve the same weight loss (deficit)

The idea that exercise doesn't aid in weight loss is one of the most persistent myths on MFP.

Going from inactive to active - which can only be achieved by exercise - results in increased BMR, above and beyond that which would be expected from changes in body composition. That means that even after you net out exercise calories, an active body will lose extra weight for the same caloric intake, on the order of 1 pound/month.

Much more eloquently worded than the reaction I had which was 'Oh shut UP and get over it, of course moving aids weight loss'
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love love love running, to the point where I'm training for a marathon (I don't know which one yet, but I'm training for it!) but running is not for everyone. You should find something that you enjoy doing and makes you happy and is fun for you. Working out should be a challenge but if you're trying to do something you don't like then it will surely become a chore.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running as well. I found it boring and I was always trying to find something else to do. Once I finally got into my groove and have some good music, I am ok. Keep at it, you will like it.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you're late it will get you there faster, LOVE THAT :)
    Since running will raise your HR more than walking the biggest benefit will be increase heart health, other benes would be: burns more cals (per minute and per distance), increase endurance, if you are late it will get you there faster, ability to get away if need be, translates over to playing sports, etc.

Start with Couch to 5K, combines walking and jogging intervals.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Either way, clearly my excercise hasn't hindered my weight loss.... it's day 328 and I'm down 27 kg so far....

correct, exercise has very little to do with weight loss. That comes from a caloric deficit (can be diet alone, or a combo of diet and exercise) Exercise just lets you eat more to achieve the same weight loss (deficit)

This guy gets it.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I can burn twice the calories in half the time (okay, I'm estimating) if I run instead of walk--so for me, running to burn calories instead of walking to do it is kind of a time-saver. Besides that, I like the way it makes my legs look. :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In terms of fitness, if something is difficult, that's probably what you need to work on most. Staying inside your comfort zone won't get you as far as venturing out of it and addressing your weaknesses.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Which apparently has very little to do with weight loss.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see this angle on this thread: you can walk anytime, anywhere, and do so in almost any kind of clothing. You cannot do this with running.

I could either wait for the tram to work for 10 minutes, and take the tram 10 minutes, or instead, walk 30 minutes to work. I've only added a net 10 minutes of my time but burned almost enough calories for a beer.

When going on lunch break, I walk 30 minutes sometimes. Thats another beer!
    Tram late? Walk to the next stop. Still late? Walk to next stop.
    Struggling to sit through a boring talk at a conference? Go outside and walk. (even in coat and slacks)

This is how i lost most of my weight in the beginning (I also did lifting and sometimes other cardio)

I think you can burn more calories walking than running if you make an effort to stick walks into your daily routine instead of having to get all prepared for running, change clothes, shower, blah blah.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a while now, six years. My relationship with running seems to be based on how well I am running. When I am super used to running, I find running easy and I really enjoy it. If I ever lose my running fitness, I find running difficult and I do hate it.

If you enjoy walking, I say stick to walking. I think that it is much better to do something that you love because you will be more likely to be super consistent. The only reason I don't walk is because my attention span is pretty much non-existent.

If you do decide to become a runner, I would suggest slowing your pace a lot and adding some walk breaks to ease your body into getting used to running. Slowing down will lessen the pain as your body adjusts.:laugh:
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A propos - time efficiency - For short runs, the amount of calories per total time, including changing and showering, may even be less than for walking.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If you'd rather walk than run, then do that because you'll likely not make excuses for not walking as opposed to not running.

The difference is the time versus calorie burn (rate). I can walk at varying speeds (between 3.3 and 3.6 mph) for 52 minutes with a warmup and cooldown, and burn between 550 and 625 calories on a varying grade. Or I can run at 7-7.5 mph (with walk breaks every 4 minutes, walking 40 seconds) and burn nearly 1000 calories running out and back for a total of 5.2 miles on an average 2.6% grade.

And running (for speed) has it's own effects on the body (both good and temporarily bad). You'll use and tone a different set of muscles running verus walking. You'll get different cardiovascular effects running versus walking. Cardio workouts with walking tend to promote very efficient slow-twitch muscle fiber. Depending upon how fast one runs, fast-twitch muscle development can be encouraged, but it is encouraged more by resistance training. But after conditioning with running, you'll find it more difficult to get your heart rate up by walking. I know that even walking fast, my heart rate rarely gets over 110 bpm on the flat. I actually have to seek hills to get it a little higher and my system is now so efficient it takes getting my heart rate into the 145 range just to get into the fat burning zone.

You may also find your resting heart rate dropping signifcantly after running for a period of time. Mine has dropped from an average around 55-58 down to around 45 beats per minute if I am sufficiently rested after a training run. That occurred when I dropped from an average of 11 miles per day walking (total, including about 90 minutes spaced throughout the day of fast paced 4 mph walking) and went on to start training for a marathon (which I just completed and I am training for my next one).

Injury-wise you can get hurt just as easily walking as running but there are more weight/gravity forces to deal with running.

I walked, and walked, and walked from 2010 to 2013 gradually increasing my average daily step count from 17,000 steps per day to 22,000 steps per day. One day, because we were going to Charleston, SC and it just so happened the Cooper River Bridge Run was scheduled for the same weekend that were planning to go to Charleston, I entered on a whim (more to take pictures up on the bridge than anything else). There was no question I could walk the entire 10K race and complete it in the allotted time. Instead of walking it the entire way, I ran the first two miles, walked the thrid (because I was taking pictures on the bridge) and then ran from mile 3 until the end. No training, just a couple of days of short practice runs to get a sense of pace. I came across the finish line tired, knowing I used a different set of muscles than I was accustomed to using walking and hiking, but also feeling like I could go another 6 miles (I probably could not have gone the extra 6 miles, but I felt that good, not wasted).

I realized that running stressed and developed other muscles than walking or hiking and, so, put it into my schedule. When two of my coworkers began training for a marathon using this Galloway run-walk method and knowing that I had a good solid base of cardio capacity to start with, I began to follow a training plan that would build up the endurance for the full marathon in 6 months (knowing that I could always change my mind and bail out if training didn't go well or drop down to the half-marathon or 10 K category.

I can't say I was thrilled with running all the time when I was younger because I used it as a path to some other goal. Now running (in addition to walking) has become part of my daily routine. But I really like the health benefits I've seen.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen that 'running burns twice as much' statistic. Here's a current one:

WALK RUN
    CALORIES/MILE .57 x wt in lbs .72 x wt in lbs

So for me 91 calories per mile vs. 115.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

The calories per MINUTE was about double. Maybe that's what the other poster was thinking.

I hate running. I tried everything including C25K, books about form, gait analysis, you name it. Walking is low impact and enjoyable and what I'm better suited to. Everyone I know over 40 who has run for any length of time has chronic back or leg issues. I'll keep my slightly lower calorie burn and keep my joints and my enjoyment.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    A propos - time efficiency - For short runs, the amount of calories per total time, including changing and showering, may even be less than for walking.

Totally valid point... which is why I used it as an excuse for a long time. Now I've "scheduled" big blocks of time into my day to run, but if for some reason I can't make it happen, then I'll use every last random minute of the day walking.
  • musetle
    Options
    Yes, I think there is a BIG difference. I would change from long distance running to sprints. Walking and long distance will leave your body skinny, soft, flabby and scrawney until your butt-less. Sprinting, on the other hand, will do wonderful things and leave your body strong and awesome. :)

I do both walking and long distance, and my body begs to differ.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just keep walking and try to improve your speed. A lot of people don't realize once you break 5mph walking, you burn the same calories you would running around the same speed. It's difficult to get to that speed and maintain it, but an awesome feeling when you do.
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    Yes, I think there is a BIG difference. I would change from long distance running to sprints. Walking and long distance will leave your body skinny, soft, flabby and scrawney until your butt-less. Sprinting, on the other hand, will do wonderful things and leave your body strong and awesome. :)

Marathon runnrers are soft and flabby? What a silly post
  • vic_runs
    Options
    Marathon runners also incorporate speed in to their program so they finish fast on race day. So they do long slow running ( for some people that means fat loss) and they do speed training ( for some people that means gaining muscle and toning up)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I am a walker (average 2 miles per day at 4 MPH). I ran my first 5K a few weeks ago to challenge myself. Since then, I have been making myself run figuring that it is good for me. BUT I don't like to run. It is difficult for me and I pretty much stink at it. Are there any MAJOR health benefits to running vs walking? I know I can save time by running vs walking, but if I am going to kill myself running (because that is what it feels like right now), I want to know that it is worth it!!! Thoughts???

The reason you feel like killing yourself is because your heart and lungs have to work very hard for you to run. That's due to lack of base fitness which is not generated simple by walking as it doesn't raise your heart rate in the way that running does. And that's where your health benefits come from, the fact that you are pushing your CV system out of its comfort zone.

But if you don't like it find something else to do.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My relationship with running seems to be based on how well I am running. When I am super used to running, I find running easy and I really enjoy it. If I ever lose my running fitness, I find running difficult and I do hate it.

That is soooo true!! :laugh: