STAYING HEALTHY WHILE BUSY!! HELP!

Options
Hey all...I was doing really great last year. I lost 35 pounds. Then I accepted a new positon at an office job. Lots of cakes, cookies, pie ,and minimal movement. I currently threw another job in the mix. I REFUSE to jeopardize my hard work. Does anyone have suggestions on how to maintain eating healthy with minimal time?? HELP PLEASE!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the cakes, cookies, pie, etc. Yeah...that's a part of office culture...you choose to participate in that or not. I go hang out with the gang but I don't sit around eating the cake and what not most of the time...I make exceptions if it's a special occasion but generally speaking, someone's always just bringing stuff in. I bring my own food to work...lunch, snack, etc.

Basically it just comes down to you and the choices you make.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the cakes, cookies, pie, etc. Yeah...that's a part of office culture...you choose to participate in that or not. I go hang out with the gang but I don't sit around eating the cake and what not most of the time...I make exceptions if it's a special occasion but generally speaking, someone's always just bringing stuff in. I bring my own food to work...lunch, snack, etc.

Basically it just comes down to you and the choices you make.

This ^^ And work in exercise when you can. A few squats, pushups, yoga, or walk the stairs (if you have them) on your break and at lunch.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Pre pack your breakfasts and lunches. Batch cook when you can. Drink plenty of water, keep the goodies to a minimum and carve out time for a workout.
  • garbagedog
    Options
    There are a couple things I am doing. First, I got an under-desk mini-bike and I pedal while I work. It was a challenge at first, but now I can pedal and type proficiently.

Next, I applied these lifestyle changes: http://voices.yahoo.com/seven-easy-lifestyle-changes-weight-loss-wellness-12365991.html?cat=5

I hope this helps! I'm a busy working mom who used my evening hours to freelance write and do odd jobs, so I totally understand where you're coming from. My weekends are usually spent running around to ensure the kids are appropriately socialized and enriched. You do what you gotta do when you can.
  • wellstn
    Options
    Thank you so much . Def gonna check that out!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am in an MFP group of people with office/desk jobs trying to work exercise into their day. New members are welcone. Check it out if you are interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17206-deskercisers
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Have a couple of go to meal ideas to avoid fast food for dinner or anytime you're exhausted. You're going to be tired working two jobs that's all there is to it so you need to plan ahead. The crockpot is great for that but sometimes you don't even have time for that if you're running late. Eggs are my "emergency" dinner -- filling, nutritious and faster than take out.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I feel you on the cakes, pie, etc. Fortunately they don't do that at my current job but I have definitely been there! I worked in an office that provided free custard sundaes every 2 weeks and that was impossible for me to resist back then! My best advice is to avoid it all together OR to have just 1-2 favorite items that you will allow yourself to indulge in, and work those into your daily calories etc. For example, I love almost any type of frosting/icing so when there's a birthday cake in the workplace I'll have a piece and scrape aside most of the cake and have like 2 TBSP of frosting for a treat. I love English toffee from a local candymaker so I'll "let" myself have 1-2 pieces when it is delivered to the office as a Christmas gift from vendors. However, I just steered totally clear of all other office treats.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I have 2 jobs.. a teenager who is in 3 different activities, I play sports on the weekends, date and spend 1-2 hours per day working out.

Here's what you do

BREATHE
    Stop making excuses
    pre-plan your days
    cook as much as you can on your least busy day (crock pot soups/bake the chicken/sautee veggies/ etc..)
    invest in Tupperware and a good lunch bag.
    Pack your foods.. breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks. (yep I pack everything but dinner everyday)
    Experiment with different foods, different combos and different cuisines. In other words, make food interesting. Make it an exploration or journey. I try to get 1 new food every week, just to try it.
    Get a good set of kitchen knives/pan/gadgets/etc,.. this will make cooking more enjoyable.
    Get to bed early (I suck at this one, but it defiantly helps tremendously!)

Get rid of cable.
    I also eat at my desk instead of during lunch, and then I walk a mile a lunch.
    I make the gym a priority and go for at least 1/2 hour everyday. (but usually longer)
    I run after dinner/before bed
    I bought an at home workout video for days when I want to do more or really can't make the gym.
    make and effort to meet people who have exercise as a priority
    Join a sport. - I go to ultimate frisbee pick up games on the weekend - the people were really nice and taught me how to play, as I had never even heard of it before that.
    Get proper workout/running clothing and accessories you will actually use. It's stupid, but when I put on my workout gloves, I feel tough, I feel like I am actually at the gym and I have to workout, there is no turning back once they are on.

It's all in your mind. You don't have time because you are telling yourself you don't have time. Write out what you do. And be honest. How many hours of TV do you watch? How many hours of reading do you do? How many hours of gossiping on the phone do you spend? Etc..

How are you going to change that?
    How many of those above hours are you willing to give up for your health? If you have kids, can you workout while they do homework? Get them to run with you? Turn the park into a calorie burning obstacle course? What do you do with your friends? Do you sit at a bar or kitchen table drinking wine or eating lunch? (not that it's bad to do this) How about next time you walk to the lunch bistro with your friends or suggest a hike instead of ladies night in?

This isn't a short term thing. If you really want to change for good you have to change your thinking, change your approach and maybe even change your friends.. or at least add new like minded ones.
  • wellstn
    Options
    Wow...Thank you so much! Reading that really just helped!