Health Monitors: What works best?

Options
Hello everyone,
I've been researching different health monitors (trackers and heart rate monitors) for some time now. I can't seem to decide which one to get or what works best. I'm looking for something that will help me better track my exercise calories. I feel like just putting the exercise in here isn't always accurate for the work I am putting in. So I'm putting the question up to you all, what do you all use or recommend? I've never tried anything so I'm looking for honest opinions.

Thanks everyone!

Megan :)

Replies

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I use a Suunto t3c. Suunto is the best and more expensive. Polar is cheaper and more popular. my main reason for getting a Suunto was at the time polar's batterys had to be sent in to be replaced. That left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor every time I workout. Mine is Polar. Just FYI, the HRMs that don't have a chest strap are notoriously inaccurate.
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I really like my Polar FT4. I was around $60 on Amazon.
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Garmin FR70! I loved it -- until I lost the wrist portion after a month. Fairly easy to set-up and read. Just bought a Sportline (or something) from Sports Authority yesterday and absolutely hate it. Too many functions. Going to replace the Garmin as soon as I can save up enough!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I've been researching different health monitors (trackers and heart rate monitors) for some time now. I can't seem to decide which one to get or what works best. I'm looking for something that will help me better track my exercise calories. I feel like just putting the exercise in here isn't always accurate for the work I am putting in. So I'm putting the question up to you all, what do you all use or recommend? I've never tried anything so I'm looking for honest opinions.

Thanks everyone!

I use a Bodymedia, because it tracks everything, all the time. For example I just got back from taking my quick stroll around the parking lot here at work. 10:03 time, 1404 steps, 78 calories.
    About the only time I take it off is when I take my shower.
    My only complaint with it is that it is not waterproof, so I can't use it while kayaking and swimming.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone!

I use a Bodymedia, because it tracks everything, all the time. For example I just got back from taking my quick stroll around the parking lot here at work. 10:03 time, 1404 steps, 78 calories.
    About the only time I take it off is when I take my shower.
    My only complaint with it is that it is not waterproof, so I can't use it while kayaking and swimming.

I stand by the BodyMedia. I used it for my first 100 pounds and started again. Great user interface. Easy. Affordable. Tracks everything. I bought mine open but new on eBay for $60.

I would do a lot of research to see what's important to you. the body media band is "ugly" on my arm but most of the time, people dont' see it. And for the accuracy I'm willing to wear an armband to work where people ask me about it!

My friend's husband loves his fit bit but doesn't need the same tracking accuracy that I do
  • mw7097
    mw7097 Posts: 10
    Options
    I like my Polar H7, which has the chest strap, but no watch. Instead of the watch, my iphone gathers the info which I love since I hate wearing watches. It cost around $70. It has really helped me out.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7.
    Love it. Works great. Comes with the watch and sensor for like 60-70 dollars.

I later bought the Polar WearLink Bluetooth transmitter to use with iPhone fitness apps.