Christmas for the lil one......

Options
2»

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    kids seem to want devices!
    my 10yo is getting a laptop for xmas this year. he loves his itouch, wants an iphone....
    those are the toys of today.

7" nook hd is pretty cheap and a great device.

i got the hd + and as a tech savvy fella i gotta say....the thing is great!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My son (6) has an ipod touch, but it was a hand-me-down from my brother. Honestly, it was a great thing for him. When he first got it at age 4, he would find words in books and movie titles and search for apps and youtube videos that way. Figured that out on his own.

Now at 6, he searches youtube for lego videos and builds things based on videos he finds. Pretty smart cookie! Comes in handy for something to take away as a punishment too, easy to hide. Easier than boxes of legos anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    might I suggest a power rack and Olympic platform for the garage...oh wait, that's what I'm getting for my 3 y.o. and 1 y.o....errrr....i mean that's what I'm asking Santa for.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    might I suggest a power rack and Olympic platform for the garage...oh wait, that's what I'm getting for my 3 y.o. and 1 y.o....errrr....i mean that's what I'm asking Santa for.

I applaud this christmas list, sir.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    My 13 yr old wants a ps4 and a 32" flat screen. Bwahahaha stupid kid is getting a $50 Target card!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I bought my 9-yo and 13-yo tablets last Christmas. Within 3 days, the 9-yo lost the charger and broke the screen. The 13-yo completely disregarded it after she got an iPhone the following February.

This year... the now 10-yo has asked for a new tablet. But she has been informed that if she doesn't take care of it, she won't get another one.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Take it from me ~ wait until they really, really want one. And then put it off even longer by helping them earn it. I got my boys their first playstation when my oldest was 5. And the addiction began. Now all they want for Christmas are games for their wii or ds. I'll admit that I'm a pushover when it comes to Christmas, and if we've ever upgraded their play systems, it has been at Christmas because they want them so bad. And those blue eyes... all 10 of them (yup, that's 5 begging boys) pleading with me to let santa bring just one more game... Ugh. There are some great things about having these fun games around, but I do wish I would have waited until they were a little older to get them. It's just that once they have them, it seems it is all that they want to do. If she doesn't really want one, I'd wait until she was a little older and, for now, let her play with things that let her use her imagination and her muscles a little more than being hunched over a screen. But just my opinion. :smile:

I agree with this! My daughter's dad bought her a kindle last Christmas. She was 7 and viewed it as a toy. That's exactly how she treats it. She doesn't have so much as a TV in her room at my house. From what I understand she hardly uses the kindle anyway, she's more interested in Wii games like Just Dance. I did get a Wii last year for everyone to use, but we only use it about once a month because we are hardly home.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Since she hasn't expressed a desire to have her own, I think I'd only go that route if she monopolizing your stuff and it doesn't make sense to share. My almost 4 year old is a whiz with my Kindle. I seriously considered either getting one for her, or getting her a Nabi 2. I decided against it b/c I'm content with the amount of time she spends on it right now, and sharing isn't posing a problem. I'd rather wait until she really needs or wants one of her own, that way when I buy one that's just for her, she can get the latest technology.

Get her some GoldieBlox! http://www.goldieblox.com/pages/about
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I bought my 9-yo and 13-yo tablets last Christmas. Within 3 days, the 9-yo lost the charger and broke the screen. The 13-yo completely disregarded it after she got an iPhone the following February.

This year... the now 10-yo has asked for a new tablet. But she has been informed that if she doesn't take care of it, she won't get another one.

Why would you buy the 10 year old a 2nd tablet if she broke the first one?? Do you have money to throw away? Because if so, you can feel free to buy me a tablet and I promise I won't break it. I might pawn it.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It's never too soon for techie educational toys. My little girl is nearly two and I bought her a Nabi Jr. to open on Christmas Day. To ensure she doesn't become a little zombie to it, I also bought her a 5" enclosed indoor trampoline for the winter. FYI: I don't buy my daughter dolls.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's all about personal prefernce imo.

Last year each of my kids got an iPod touch, I was going through a ****ty break up and I overcompensated. They also got brand new TV's for their rooms (with accompanying blu ray players). DON'T JUDGE ME, I wasn't spending my $$ on gifts for a significant other so *kitten* it, I spoiled the crap outta them.

Now, that being said THIS year....my daughter's getting a new easel & art supplies & perhaps a sewing machine (she wants to teach herself to sew). My son is getting a new art desk, art supplies, & some other odds and ends. Keeping it super simple and focusing on activities & hobbies AND spending time as a family unit.

Yup, cuz that's how I roll. :)
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My daughter saved her Christmas and birthday money (her birthday is Dec 22, poor kid!), and bought herself a Nook Color when she was 7. She will be 9 this year and still uses it pretty much every day. I have a Kindle Fire and she borrows mine from time to time as well. They're really very comparable. My daughter loves to read, so we started off just letting her get books for her Nook, but it has since progressed to games and she uses it to access the internet as well. Just be prepared, over the summer she had to ask me to fix her Nook because it was stuck on a site she "didn't mean to go to!" Um, yeah, that opened up a whole other bunch of conversations. :blushing:

This year she's asking for a smart phone, and we're actually considering getting her one. I never would have thought I'd consider getting my 9 year old a phone, but it is crossing our minds.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's never too soon for techie educational toys. My little girl is nearly two and I bought her a Nabi Jr. to open on Christmas Day. To ensure she doesn't become a little zombie to it, I also bought her a 5" enclosed indoor trampoline for the winter. FYI: I don't buy my daughter dolls.

What's wrong with dolls?? :huh:
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    I bought my daughter a Nabi last year. Pretty legit tablet, tons of educational goodies on it and you can customize it to make it girly till her heart's content.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    ok, I've been debating with the other voices in my head whether to get my 7 yr old girl some high tech gadgets. Ipod touch, Ipad, or HP tablet or just leave it simple and get her girly toys. What's your thoughts? The way society is today and how technology has advanced over the last decade, if I choose girly toys and no high tech...would that be depriving her?

OK, I raised two son. What is a "girly" toy as opposed to a tech toy?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think tech gifts are fine, but the longer you can keep a cell phone out of their hands, the better. If you're gonna go techy, I vote for the iPod touch. Music, camera, apps...and the new colors are so fun.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    When my granddaughter was 10 she wanted a tablet (she got a Nexus7) between 3 sets of grandparents and her parents she saved the money and bought it. This year for her 12th birthday she wanted a lap top, again money as gifts and she saved more and was able to buy it herself. In my opinion it means more to her because she had to save and work for some of the money. If she likes to read I think a tablet is great...just for games..no. But that's my opinion.

I myself had been wanting a tablet but like my granddaughter I saved for it. Yes, I could have purchased it when I wanted it, but I did my research as to what I wanted and used my commission money from work to buy what I wanted.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    ok, I've been debating with the other voices in my head whether to get my 7 yr old girl some high tech gadgets. Ipod touch, Ipad, or HP tablet or just leave it simple and get her girly toys. What's your thoughts? The way society is today and how technology has advanced over the last decade, if I choose girly toys and no high tech...would that be depriving her?

OK, I raised two son. What is a "girly" toy as opposed to a tech toy?

Barbies, Polly Pocket, dollhouses, this:

pTRU1-10736887dt.jpg

P.S. I want that. ^^
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    I bought my daughter a Nabi last year. Pretty legit tablet, tons of educational goodies on it and you can customize it to make it girly till her heart's content.
    I've been playing with it for two weeks now. The durability, parental control and progress tracking features were the reason I bought the thing and it hasn't disappointed me one bit.
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    Barbies, Polly Pocket, dollhouses, this:

pTRU1-10736887dt.jpg

P.S. I want that. ^^
    DSC01542.JPG