Psychological punishment

Options
not sure if it's intentional or not but a lot of the banner ads I see on this site are for all you can eat buffets or cupcakes.

I think it's due to the topics discussed and the ads are served automatically for the demographics of the viewer.

Must say...it doesn't help your mindset looking at these ads when feel like you are starving!!!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Adds keep site free, and unfortunately, the site has no control of what ads display.
  • crissi66
    Options
    Thats funny i felt the same way. I saw a banner for ruby tuesday's the other day on the site.I wanted to eat my arm off i was so hungry after that.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Really? The ads I see are a lot of gastric bypass ads and then items I search for like boots, home goods, etc.. And then my husband searches for guitars - so I'd say 25% of the ads are guitars....
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    It's funny because I don't pay any attention to the adds. My eyes don't ever veer off to that portion of the screen.
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    Cupcakes...YUM!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Odd. I don't see any ads.

O_O
  • fluffypbunny
    fluffypbunny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    HA HA HA ! That's pretty funny! I like to think of it as desensitizing us!!! They use it all the time in psychology!!!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I use Mozilla firefox and have the ad blockers installed.....I never see an ad or pop up, even on Facebook. :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think it is also related to your web-surfing habits. I find that the ads that appear are often related to sites I have recently visited.

Hmmm.....that would explain a lot.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The ads change based on the topic you are reading. It thinks hey your reading something with these key words in it, you must be interested in that....here you go, here is an ad just for you! Try it out, pay attention to the key words in the topic you are reading and watch the ads reflect what you are reading about. If someone mentions lawnmowers you will get some kinda ad that would reflect that. It doesn't always work, but a lot of the time it does.
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    I think it is also related to your web-surfing habits. I find that the ads that appear are often related to sites I have recently visited.

Hmmm.....that would explain a lot.

HAHA - wish it was true!
    It seems related to my area more that anything else.