Hip Bursitis

Options
Otherwise known as trochanteric bursitis.
Has anyone had experience w/this and successfully healed it?
I love to run, but it hurts, even after taking a couple weeks off.

Replies

• kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I don't think I have bursitis, but I do think I have an arthritic hip. Mine tends to hurt after I've sat a long time (like at my desk) and then get up. It doesn't hurt when I work out (that I've noticed). My dr gave me some pills, but I'm not a pill taker :frown:
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I looked up the condition and there are treatment options for it. Go to the doctor. Don't live with pain if you don't have to.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had three cortisone shots before the doctor determined I needed surgery. I had a left hip bursectomy with IT band release. The pain was significantly better following surgery, but I have never achieved pain-free status. This is one of the most painful conditions I have ever had. Are you seeing an orthopedic doctor?
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got cortisone/steroid shots in both hips. It was like getting a shot of relief straight from heaven!!! Totally worth it. Hobbled in the office in pain, walked out a new woman. Go to the doctor and check out your options. A simple shot in each hip changed my quality of life.

Word of caution: You still have to rest and let your body heal. Don't start running immediately after. Wait a few weeks.
  • wdwmindy
    Options
    I do.
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/bursitis/hic_trochanteric_bursitis.aspx has some good info about the condition.

If it has been bothering you for 3+ weeks, you should see a doctor to find out what exactly is going on and what your options are.

My doctor didn't do anything more than give me some anti-inflammatory meds and pain killers. He told me to take it easy and do physical therapy to learn how to use my body carefully to avoid further issues. He x-rayed the hip, but it didn't show anything exciting. I cannot run, doctor's orders, but I have numerous joint and bone issues which you hopefully do not have.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got cortisone/steroid shots in both hips. It was like getting a shot of relief straight from heaven!!! Totally worth it. Hobbled in the office in pain, walked out a new woman. Go to the doctor and check out your options. A simple shot in each hip changed my quality of life.

Word of caution: You still have to rest and let your body heal. Don't start running immediately after. Wait a few weeks.

I said those shots were liquid gold. It was amazing!
  • HungryCaterpillar121
    Options
    Go see a physical therapist. Yes, cortisone shots are great but they aren't a long term solution for many people. A physical therapist can teach you techniques to strengthen your hip joint and can also use modalities for pain relief. If you see your doctor and live in a state that isn't open access, ask for a scrip for physical therapy.
  • slh2501
    slh2501 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My primary care physician thinks my hip pain is bursitis, and my symptoms clinically fit what I found when researching this online. There is a particular orthopedic doctor I want to see who comes highly recommended by an ortho nurse I know. He's not on my insurance plan now, but I will be able to see him after the first of the year. For now I know which exercises increase the pain, so I avoid those. I tried Aleve or ibuprofen on a regular basis, but that just irritated my stomach. I'm hoping the ortho doc will have some suggestions and/or treatment options for me.
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do.
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/bursitis/hic_trochanteric_bursitis.aspx has some good info about the condition.

If it has been bothering you for 3+ weeks, you should see a doctor to find out what exactly is going on and what your options are.

My doctor didn't do anything more than give me some anti-inflammatory meds and pain killers. He told me to take it easy and do physical therapy to learn how to use my body carefully to avoid further issues. He x-rayed the hip, but it didn't show anything exciting. I cannot run, doctor's orders, but I have numerous joint and bone issues which you hopefully do not have.

This describes the extent of info I got from my doctor too. She also recommended to rest, but I've taken 2 weeks off and after running today, it hurt about as much as it had 2 weeks ago before the rest.
    I really want to be able to keep running. Maybe one lesson from everyone's comments is to check in with another doctor.
  • emcwilli
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • emcwilli
    Options
    I don't think I have bursitis, but I do think I have an arthritic hip. Mine tends to hurt after I've sat a long time (like at my desk) and then get up. It doesn't hurt when I work out (that I've noticed). My dr gave me some pills, but I'm not a pill taker :frown:

Oh no, I hope you find treatment that works for you!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My primary care physician thinks my hip pain is bursitis, and my symptoms clinically fit what I found when researching this online. There is a particular orthopedic doctor I want to see who comes highly recommended by an ortho nurse I know. He's not on my insurance plan now, but I will be able to see him after the first of the year. For now I know which exercises increase the pain, so I avoid those. I tried Aleve or ibuprofen on a regular basis, but that just irritated my stomach. I'm hoping the ortho doc will have some suggestions and/or treatment options for me.

I don't have hip bursitis, but I did have bursitis in my left knee. I used ice, rest, and advil as my first line of defense and went to the doctor. I was referred on to an orthopedist who took x-rays, and my situation is structural, but there was no conclusive evidence one way or another about arthritis.. He gave me some exercises to strengthen the muscles that support my knee, and advised that I keep on with the ice, advil and rest of the joint. I also needed to lose weight, and that is how I ended up here on MFP. At this point, I'm doing much better although the knee will always be a weak point that needs to be managed. I think I was lucky. You need to follow the medical path and also find ways to keep moving without aggravating your situation. Swimming might be a possibility, but you need to investigate. Good luck.
  • 2012ALM
    2012ALM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with hip bursitis and just got a cortisone shot yesterday and some of the pain is gone, but it's still there, hope it goes away soon.
  • WaffyNoonan
    Options
    I had a trochanteric bursitis which I developed while trampolining, treated with physio and now I'm back into running. It only took a couple of weeks to fix, but I was very good about doing my homework :)

Hope it all works out for you!
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Time and your doctor can help this... Time may work by itself but your running programme may be in tatters by the time it's healed... oh and the other thing ice ice ice and a NSAID if you can take them is a start and I would throw in a TENS machine for good measure. I run and as you can guess hate pain!!! I work as an NP and have a gp friend who would deffo give you a steroid inj for this and a physio follow up too. Good luck...