Morning Cardio Before Work

Options
For those who fit a quick morning workout in before leaving home, how much time after waking up do you give yourself before starting? Do you usually have enough energy in a fasted state to make it through the entire session without half-assing it or do you need a light pre-workout meal?

I've been feeling drained a lot sooner in my early morning workouts these days, usually have relatively low carb dinners, so thinking I should try having some carbs a few minutes before getting into it. Any recommendations?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm an early morning, empty stomach runner (6-7 days a week).

It usually takes me ~ 25 minutes to get out the door - need to wake and use the restroom (for sure).
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I do a 6:30am spin class three times per week. I usually roll out of bed at 6 and I'm at the gym by around 6:20. All I have is a glass of water before. I usually find that I get a better workout then than I do when I go to the evening classes. However, I can't do the same with the power weight lifting class - doing that one on an empty stomach makes me feel tired and I know I'm not getting as good of a workout as I would if I had eaten before. If you feel that you're not getting a good workout on an empty stomach, then definitely eat something. I used to split my breakfast in two and eat half before and half after my workout...
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    I give myself 10-15 minutes to get up, get dressed, and get out the door - any longer and I'll just stay in bed. :-) As for working out in a fasted state vs. fueling beforehand, I usually go by how I feel in the moment. Usually I work out in a fasted state, but if my stomach is already growling when I get up, I eat something small and carb-y, like a banana or a handful of animal crackers. I do interval training or hot yoga in the mornings, and don't find that the quality or intensity of either activity is affected negatively by being performed in a fasted state when I'm not hungry upon waking. I would go by how you feel each morning until you figure out what works and feels best for your workouts. Maybe you'll find that it's best for you to eat something beforehand, even if you don't feel hungry.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some old-fashioned oatmeal for their complex carbs ( takes 2.5 minutes to make) :wink:

Actually, I stopped eating before workout.
    I throw down a BCAA drink and a couple GTE capsules.
    Then 30-60 minutes of cardio, 100-odd minutes resistance, 22.5 - 45 minutes on treadmill
    By the time I get home exhausted that oatmeal is out-of-this-world. LOL
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    When I train in the morning I usually only have a cup of tea, sometimes some caffiene and get through workouts (cardio or weights) okay. You could play around with having a larger meal with more carbs for dinner and see if this helps or if your workout is suffering then eat. Better to have a high energy workout and skip the benefiits of training fasted than comprimise on workout intensity IMO
  • andrewj87
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking that the workout fatigue might also be the result of working out so soon after getting up (~10mins), might still be a bit dazed.
    I didn't carb load tonight so I'll have to give the pre-workout meal a shot in the morning. Read that bananas are actually good for the quick burst but don't have any on hand. Will have to give the oatmeal a try and hopefully get some better results.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning swimmer or runner. I find that I feel a lot better if I eat something beforehand. I try to keep it to about 100 calories and it doesn't seem to make my stomach feel icky. I've done whole wheat tortillas, granola bars, corn tortillas, bread and today I had a banana. I also drink a cup or two of coffee with milk.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm a morning work out kind of person, and i always have coffee before hitting the gym or doing cardio. usually these sessions are under 90 minutes.

if i'm going for a long run or bike ride, then i'll usually eat something, but like someone else said, i keep it light. i usually go for some peanut butter on a piece of toast.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't generally eat anything before an early morning workout, but there have been times I have made a protein shake with half a banana in it for a quick pick me up. I get stomach cramps easy if I eat right before a heavy cardio session.
  • astange83
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 6, M W F Sat I need to be on the treadmill by 615, Tue & Thurs 630 (shorter workout b/c I do weights at night). Done by 730 (sometimes 745), make my breakfast a protein shake and an English muffin with pb, make lunch, quick shower and out the door by 9. I'm tired getting going, but then tend to push harder knowing the sooner I get it done with sooner I get to eat!
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If I do a short HIIT or Zumba session at home before work (15-20 minutes), I am fine with fasted cardio. However, if I actually go to the gym and hop on the elliptical and/or lift, i HAVE to eat something beforehand or I will not make it. I usually grab a banana when my eyes pop open on those days, and I'm good to go.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    When I worked out in the morning I usually gave myself 30 mins before running. I set out my workout clothes, energy, a light breakfast (either a banana with peanut butter, or granola bar typically), water, and anything else I needed for my run. I would eat my breakfast first thing and within a half hour it would usually be settled enough to run.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I usually roll out of bed, start coffee, and get on the elliptical. But I also have a tendency to midnight snack, so it's never been all THAT long since I last ate. And I don't usually do more than moderate intensity cardio anyway. If you're feeling that drained, are you sure you're getting enough rest/fuel?
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I usually ride my recumbent bike first thing in the morning. Usually about 15-30 minutes after getting up by the time I feed the pets, etc. I am a type 2 diabetic, so I check my blood sugar before working out. If it is low (< 80) I go ahead and eat my breakfast before hand. If it is in the normal range,I go ahead and work out. By the time I cool down, and get to the point where I am ready to eat, I need the fuel.

I have found this works well for me, but I think it is all about listening to your body.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    For those who fit a quick morning workout in before leaving home, how much time after waking up do you give yourself before starting? Do you usually have enough energy in a fasted state to make it through the entire session without half-assing it or do you need a light pre-workout meal?

I've been feeling drained a lot sooner in my early morning workouts these days, usually have relatively low carb dinners, so thinking I should try having some carbs a few minutes before getting into it. Any recommendations?

Not long after I wake up really. I do have some Gunpowder tea first though as it works fast. (It's Temple of Heaven 100% pure green tea -loose.) All that is needed is 4-8oz max. You may want to throw in some mint tea to lift it....some strong stuff! And yes, I get through my workout with no problems.
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat or drink something 30 mins before an early morning jog. Usually a cup of warm milo or fruit(Banana, Apple or Pear) if i feel slightly hungry.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think this is a personal thing, some people can train in a fasted state, some can't.

I get up at 4:35am and am at the gym at 5am. I don't eat beforehand and I can get through a killer workout no problem at all. I did try eating half a banana for a week to see if that affected me at all and it was horrible.

Good idea to ask for ideas. Hopefully some "eat before" people can help you out with ideas.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm an early morning, empty stomach runner (6-7 days a week).

It usually takes me ~ 25 minutes to get out the door - need to wake and use the restroom (for sure).

This! And I also notice if I'm low on calories the night before, I'm also low on energy in the morning.
  • ikearch
    ikearch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Right after waking up: bathroom then stretching. I'll drink water. Sometimes I'll take a preworkout if I feel less motivated or am really tired. I jump rope for at least 20 minutes (not including resting) then I'll cool down by running at least .25 mile- .5 miles and walk for 5 min. Then I stretch more. All in all, about 50 min total.