Ab Workout Suggestions...Needing Help!

Options
Alright question - I have been doing consistent Ab work (sit-ups, crunches, reverse crunches, leg lifts, side crunches, etc. I do 4 sets of 10 each) for the last 6 weeks or so and haven't seen any difference...I still have the pooch, still have the fat & flubber, there's a tiny tiny bit of definition, but nothing major...I can't do planks due to a back injury last year...suggestions?!?!?!

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat a while back, and was told that I would FEEL the difference long before I would SEE the difference if I didn't change my eating habits. Once I started losing the fat, then I saw the muscle. When i started heavy lifting, it really made a difference because alot of those moves also engage the abs.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Gym membership, nor can I afford one, I workout at home - I have been doing the 30-day shred, on day 5 of Level 1 - but the ab move just don't seem challenging enough for me...I can feel the muscle there, but don't see it

I also do 30-45 mins of cardio a day, 6-days a week...
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are really motivated, and on the right track. I don't have a gym membership either. I live outside the city so it's just not feasible to hit the gym 3-4 days a week.

There are LOTS of ways to vamp up your workouts. Body weight workouts are great for beginners but to really challenge yourself invest in some dumbells or kettlebells.

And most of all, don't give up! You are in the right mindset. Keep it up!
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you have to lower your body fat percentage to get to see the muscles. However, that doesn't mean that your work is for naught! You are getting stronger, and once you lose a little more body fat, you will be able to see the result of your hard work. Keep at it!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Alright question - I have been doing consistent Ab work (sit-ups, crunches, reverse crunches, leg lifts, side crunches, etc. I do 4 sets of 10 each) for the last 6 weeks or so and haven't seen any difference...I still have the pooch, still have the fat & flubber, there's a tiny tiny bit of definition, but nothing major...I can't do planks due to a back injury last year...suggestions?!?!?!

You need to lose the weight through diet before seeing a difference. Have you lost weight in those 6 weeks?
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options

You need to lose the weight through diet before seeing a difference. Have you lost weight in those 6 weeks?

Yup! I am down about 8lbs, it's slow, but there...not sure 100% what my start weight was, but the last two weigh-ins with the Dr put me at 200...I guess I am just anxious to see results
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I have been doing consistent Ab work (sit-ups, crunches, reverse crunches, leg lifts, side crunches, etc. I do 4 sets of 10 each) for the last 6 weeks or so and haven't seen any difference..

That's because ab exercises don't target the fat there, they just build the muscle layer under the fat. To burn fat - from anywhere on the body - eat the right number of calories and do any vigorous exercise often. Ab exercises are relatively low calorie-burners, so i wouldn't spend a lot of time with them. The muscle groups to prioritize are the larger ones - upper back, chest, and especially legs.
    Fat loss happens slowly, so try to be patient..
  • caitlynforkz
    Options
    You could try the Insanity Cardio Abs workout, I'm almost positive you can find this on Youtube, I use it and I can feel a difference almost everytime I do it, it uses your body as a weight it's great fun and almost sore after everytime I do it which means it's still working! :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I applaud your effort and motivation.

Don't take this wrong, but all those crunches, situps, and the like are really a waste of your time. I don't do a one. Maybe some plank every now and again, but that is strictly for my running form.

Stick with your deficit & don't get frustrated. Keep up the hard work with your cardio!
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You still have quite a bit of weight to lose, according to your goals. Normally stomach fat is the last to go. Keep eating at a deficit, and losing the fat, then you will see resuts. It just takes time. It would be weird if you lost all of your stomach weight first, right? So, it must be balanced throughout your whole body. When you lose fat, it's taken from all of your body. Patience. I'm having the same troubles. :(
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Don't take this wrong, but all those crunches, situps, and the like are really a waste of your time.

I agree .. you have been told a bunch of *****. To lose the pooch ... you need to eat at a deficit mostly. It is about losing that body fat .. and that is the way to do it,

Sure doing those exercises will allow your abs to show when you lose the fat .. but that is not the solution for losing abdominal fat. Just go and search here on the forums .. and you will find your answer.

Good luck .. but you are not going to lose the pooch doing crunches etc.
  • JohnLSinclair
    JohnLSinclair Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can't target specific areas to lose weight with activity or diet. The human body doesn't work that way. If you expend more energy than you take in (however that is achieved - diet, exercise, or both) you will lose weight - hopefully the fat, and not both muscle and fat at the same time! But the body has it's own order of where it chooses to shed the extra pounds. People vary in this as well. Usually, the lower belly and inner thighs go last. I think that's why some people like to take measurements at multiple places on their weight loss journey. The progress may be occurring in places that you aren't paying attention to. :)

To clarify, fat can be lost all over at the same time, but if we are talking about, "where are my six pack abs?" Let me tell you, that lower belly fat can be quite stubborn. But that is because your body's one concern is survival, and it'll want to hold onto that precious fat just in case there's a famine just around the corner - it could care less about being lean. Just keep at it though, it's worth the struggle.