Help with late night snacking?

Options
Recently I came out of a strict cleanse diet, and every week I seem to be getting back into eating more and more. My self control seems to be solid during the day, but falls apart after dinner. Anyone else experience this? I'm trying to figure out how to insure that dinner is the last thing I eat every night, as apparently I become a very impulsive eater.

Replies

• colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That's the bad thing about restrictive diets/cleanses. I find I have a hard time with snacking when I go back to eating my normal diet too. Which is why I now don't restrict what I eat, as long as I can fit it into my weekly calories.
  • wfit2014
    wfit2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It seems like I don't even finish dinner before I am thinking about what I can eat. I do great during the day. All of my problem eating is in the evening. ::frown:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I just plan those late night snacks into my day since I know they're gonna happen anyway. I pre-log what I'm going to eat ahead of time.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hi! It would help if your diary was open and you explained more about your diet and yourself. Sometimes late night hunger is all in your head and you need to just work through that. What I do is sip a hot drink like tea. Any kind of tea works, but I find the fruity ones to be the most soothing. Sometimes it's that you are truly hungry. When that happens, I have a little snack. It could be any number of things. But the only way to tell is if you open up that diary and tell about yourself. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Recently I came out of a strict cleanse diet, and every week I seem to be getting back into eating more and more. My self control seems to be solid during the day, but falls apart after dinner. Anyone else experience this? I'm trying to figure out how to insure that dinner is the last thing I eat every night, as apparently I become a very impulsive eater.

There is nothing wrong with eating late at night as long as it fits into your calorie allowance. I just finished some popcorn and it's 8:45 p.m.

You said you just did a strict cleanse diet. I have no idea what that is, but it sounds like one of those very low calorie diets (VLCD) and/or liquid diets, which are not advocated here. The problem with VLCD or fasting/liquid diets is that they are basically unhealthy and you tend to gain the weight back you lost when you start eating normally again.
  • dockholiday8234
    dockholiday8234 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eat ice cubes.

Just kidding. I save the bulk of my daily calories for the evening for this very reason. I like to be full in the evenings, as I find it easy to operate on little food during the day.

-Brush you teeth after dinner
    - Have a big dinner with lots of protein
    - You are cutting calories back way too much causing yourself to slip in to binge mode. Fight it all you want. It is only a matter of time before you give in to temptation.
    - eat some fresh watermelon (yes its got cals, but last time I checked i never seen noone get fat off eating damn watermelon)
  • Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I always had trouble snacking at night. I just had a gastric sleeve 3 months ago. Now I don't get the cravings I used to, but if I do I just have a butter flavored rice cake. Only 35 calories on it and if I wanna jazz it up a bit I spray some NoCal Pam, then some cinnamon or popcorn seasoning w white cheddar. Tastes really good, fills me up and with hardly any calories.

53414282.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mrsieve
    mrsieve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work overnights, so I totally understand (especially with all the goodies that I have access to while at work). I try and grab lower calorie cereals, fruit, vegetables, and yogurt when I feel like I really have to have something to eat. Even on my nights off, cereal is my go to. It gives me a crunch and some calcium to top it off.
  • Kavazya
    Kavazya Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the low calorie/liquid diet problem. This cleanse allowed me to eat as much as I wanted, as long as it was fruit, vegetables, and 1 cup of brown/wild rice or lentils per day plus two smoothies. I never felt weak or hungry, but now I just want to eat at later hours regardless of anything else.
  • Kavazya
    Kavazya Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'll definitely try your suggestions. It sounds like I may have to just embrace the fact that I am going to want to snack, and plan out a light, healthy option ahead of time...
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just plan those late night snacks into my day since I know they're gonna happen anyway. I pre-log what I'm going to eat ahead of time.

This! I had to do this until I got my snacking under control.