am I mad? 10k on sunday

Options
So I may have a chance to run in a 10k run this coming Sunday. Am I mad for considering it? I have been exercising 6 days a week for the last 2 months doing between 40-80 mins on the elliptical as well as 30ds for the last month. Should I enter the run? Or am I risking injury from not training specifically for it?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    walk/running a little over 6 miles is different than elliptical. you will be sore even if you walk.

why not try it? you can always walk. even going at a leisurely 4 mph pace you could be done in around 90 minutes. just make sure you're wearing supportive appropriate shoes
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Running puts strain on muscles and tendons different to other exercises. So if you don't run at the moment going straight into a 10k is asking for an injury. You may have the aerobic capacity and fitness from the elliptical and other exercises but the stesses from running on your body are totally different.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Do it if you really want to...

It will give you a starting time to improve upon. I am sure you will be able to finish. Good Luck!
  • cwsikes
    Options
    Ellipticals don't quite equate to actual running. Before I started running I could elliptical all day but I couldn't run for more than a block. With that said, I'm sure you could walk the 6 miles. Just have realistic expectations going into it.
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Running puts strain on muscles and tendons different to other exercises. So if you don't run at the moment going straight into a 10k is asking for an injury. You may have the aerobic capacity and fitness from the elliptical and other exercises but the stesses from running on your body are totally different.

Definitely agree with this.
    Years ago I used to cycle a lot competitively, time trials, mountain biking etc and all the training miles that go with it, so I was very fit aerobically.

However on the odd occasion I tried to run, yes, I was able to do it, and at a reasonable pace as well, but would suffer with my knees etc for ages afterwards, to the extent that I couldn't even ride the bike.

Silly me - I always used to think it was because I "couldn't run". It was ages before I realised that I should be treating it as a "new" exercise and starting off a bit at a time. Particularly as cycling tends to shorten the hamstrings (or not stretch them in the same way) which causes problems in running unless you combine them both regularly.

If I were you doing the 10k I would do it by fast walking and a bit of jogging now and then.

Good luck whatever you do.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If you have never run 10km outside before..... then you are not going to make it. Indoors on a treadmill is not the same as outside. Elliptical is NOT running at all & you will not be able to do it. Even walking is going to be hard for you.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Should I enter the run? Or am I risking injury from not training specifically for it?

You could but I suspect you won't enjoy it that much and yes, you will risk injury if you try and over exert yourself.

I do think however that if you did some specific training you would be amazed at how quickly you progress and the build up to the event at some point in the future may be just as rewarding as the event itself.

Pick a run at a reasonable point in the future, plan, train and smash it ;)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Sorry are you saying you've done some exercise videos and a bit of time on the elliptical and you want to run a 10k on zero running training or experience?

If that's what you are saying, then unless you're very lucky you'll invite injury.

Even IF you had the CV fitness to run steady for an hour, you have not created the muscular-skeletal strength to sustain the impact. Running training is meant to be gradual for good reasons.

It's up to you. Your legs. Your physio bill...
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm torn here. As someone who runs regularly, I pretty much think it's impossible. It might even be risky if you don't listen to your body when you do it.

But why not push yourself now and then and try the impossible? Is it so bad to step out of your comfort zone and risk something? Whatever you do, I'll be rooting for you.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    But why not push yourself now and then and try the impossible? Is it so bad to step out of your comfort zone and risk something? Whatever you do, I'll be rooting for you.

I hear what you're saying and totally agree with you. I'm all for taking risks. I entered an Ironman tri when I couldn't swim!! But then I made sure I learned to swim before the race, I didn't just roll up on race day, jump in the water and hope for the best! :wink:
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I hear what you're saying and totally agree with you. I'm all for taking risks. I entered an Ironman tri when I couldn't swim!! But then I made sure I learned to swim before the race, I didn't just roll up on race day, jump in the water and hope for the best! :wink:

You entered an Ironman tri when you couldn't swim? You're disqualified from talking people out of a 10k when they can't run! Seriously. That's bad-*kitten*. Especially as you live to tell the tale.
  • CollieFit
    Options

You entered an Ironman tri when you couldn't swim? You're disqualified from talking people out of a 10k when they can't run! Seriously. That's bad-*kitten*. Especially as you live to tell the tale.

It was a bit of a mid-life crisis... Not only could I not swim, I was in fact proper deep water phobic. It took me weeks to stop having panic attacks when I was out of my depth. :noway: :frown: The cycling and running was a relative doddle in comparison! :laugh:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter. Which luckily I am.

Good luck on your 10k!!!
    When that day comes I shall futterwacken... vigorously.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Right I am entered in the run! If anyone has any useful advice along the lines of stretching before/after, timing of eating and what is best to eat (I hear the term carb loading, but clueless on it). The race starts at 11am!

I will of course let you all know if I survived or not!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Stretching is not going to help you in this case, you are still not a runner in any way & this is just simply an injury waiting to happen. I'd get ready for more pressing issues like medical treatment. You are running 10km, what carb loading? I run empty cause it wont cause me to have to rush off to the toilet part way through.

I would suggest you get off the computer & go run 10km right now, I'm betting you wont make it & that will show you what we have been saying.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Right I am entered in the run! If anyone has any useful advice along the lines of stretching before/after, timing of eating and what is best to eat (I hear the term carb loading, but clueless on it). The race starts at 11am!

I will of course let you all know if I survived or not!

a 10K doesnt warrant a carb load :laugh: just eat a normal meal the night before and drink more water. i do all my races (10K is the most i've done) on an empty stomach because i cant eat before a workout.

my suggestion is to start of easy for the first 5k then gradually increase your effort if you have the gas in your tank. definitely dont start off gung ho to the point where you cant make it to the end.

after race will have bagels, bananas, power bars etc so make your way to those. given that you've never done a 10k and are just coming from elliptical, stretching isnt going to have much of an effect to avoid next day soreness because that's not really what stretching is for anyway. i would suggest having some compression gear to change into after the race since these will help with recovery (will help muscle swelling). dont hang around too long afterwards either. get your free food, give out some high fives, change into something warm then go home to soak in a nice hot bath.

good luck!
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Done!! 1hour and 17 minutes!! it was a mixture of running and walking. I am ridiculously pleased with myself right now. I wasn't even the last person in which was my bonus goal on top of my main goal of finishing the run in one piece. I am exhausted and about to jump in a bath for a long hot soak. I think I'm going to sleep well tonight. :)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :drinker:
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Yay thank you. :)

In my head I am doing a happy dance, but just in my head :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Done!! 1hour and 17 minutes!! it was a mixture of running and walking. I am ridiculously pleased with myself right now. I wasn't even the last person in which was my bonus goal on top of my main goal of finishing the run in one piece. I am exhausted and about to jump in a bath for a long hot soak. I think I'm going to sleep well tonight. :)

You would have been better off jumping into a cold bath rather than hot. It's helps muscles recover more & you would be less sore. Why else do you think athletes jump into an ice bath after they finish.