Weight loss slowed down

Options
Hi guys I only have 2 kilos to lose and am struggling majorly! I do high intensity training 5-6 days per week, weigh all my food and stick to 1200 cals and it just won't budge! I was flying off only two weeks ago when I was following the same diet and exercise plan. I eat very well with healthy carbs for breakfast and lots of fruit and veg! Please help!!

Replies

• DanaT81
    DanaT81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 170cms tall and currently 59.7 kilos :-) my goal is 58 so close yet feels so far!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Dana, welcome.

Are you logging in all your food and exercise? Weighing all solid food and measuring all liquids? Getting accurate counts for calories burned?

You only have about 10 pounds to lose, so your weight loss needs to be slower, perhaps .5 pounds per week. You want to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week if you are more overweight.

However, if you weight loss has slowed down, it seems to me you might be eating more than you think you are.

If you open up your diary, it will be easier to provide specific feedback.
  • DanaT81
    Options
    Yes logging all food and exercise daily. Weighing all food on scales and liquids in measuring cup. I use a Heart rate monitor watch to track calories burnt during exercise. I do 30 mins if cardio either jogging or Epi machine. I also do approx 10 mins of weights and strength training. I'll open my diary for you.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Since when haven't you lost any weight?

On a side note, I would recommend to incorporate more strength training. Cardio is really not necessary to lose fat.
  • DanaT81
    Options
    Hi I have stayed the same for over a week
    now :-(
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Not loosing for a week really isn't a big deal. Sometimes I will plateau for 2-3 weeks and then suddenly drop 3+ lbs.
    1200 net calories or you're really eating 1200 calories a day?
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My target was 155. I weighed at home in the morning, and other places when I could, but that was after meals. I spent weeks so close, yet not there. After buying a new scale, I found out my digital scale at home was 6 lbs over. So I was hovering at 150ish. Was a little nerve racking.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Not loosing for a week really isn't a big deal.

Being "stuck" is when you haven't lost any weight in a couple weeks. It is only normal that weight loss slows down the closer you get to your goal. It is also normal that the weight seems to drop off when you just start to eat at a deficit as your losing mainly water.
    1200 net calories or you're really eating 1200 calories a day?

^ And this.
  • DanaT81
    Options
    I eat total 1200 cals and not my exercise cals
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    I eat total 1200 cals and not my exercise cals

Why not?
    You're meant to. 1,2k is already very, very low. You might even be eating below your BMR without all the cardio you do, so your daily net is definetely way too low.
  • DanaT81
    Options
    What's BMR?
  • DanaT81
    Options
    I am worried I will not lose weight if I eat my exercise cals
  • jennyjcss
    jennyjcss Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    U r not the only one, I have somehow stucked at my current weight too. It wont budge eventhough I had burnt 700- 1300calories in every intensive workouts I did for 3 weeks. I ate within 1,200 -1,400 calories everyday.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
  • DanaT81
    Options
    So to confirm I should be eating my bmr cals instead of what myfitness pal has set for me?
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    No not at all, you must AT LEAST eat more than you BMR.
    Basal Metabolic Rate: This is the bare minimum your body needs to survive if you were lying in bed all day.

You need to eat your BMR plus any extra exercise calories you earn.

This is how MFP is designed.

Good luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am 170cms tall and currently 59.7 kilos :-) my goal is 58 so close yet feels so far!

Maybe you are struggling, because you are already way into your " ideal " weight zone, which is between 53 and 72 kg (118 and 159 lbs) for someone your height. At this point not losing for a week, or even several weeks is not unusual and much more difficult than for a person who has a great deal of weight to lose.
    However if you eat at a deficit you should lose no matter what. Unfortunately when losing weight it is the quantity of the food that matters and not so much the quality. Too much healthful food will also keep you from losing....make sure you weigh, measure and log everything meticulously...people who do that accurately usually are successful with weight loss.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    This is baffling me. Forgive me if I'm wrong, 5'5'', right? Sorry if I converted wrong. That's my height. I'm losing with 1600 gross. Is it the scale that what bothers you? No one knows that number. It's trivial. Already being in a healthy weight range, I would personally start a good weight lifting routine to help lower body fat percentage or some form of resistance training. Not losing for a week doesnt mean you're not losing. I'm sure you've heard weight loss isn't linear :). Your diary is closed, so we have to assume you're 100% accurate and take zero cheat days or inconsistencies.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, however haven't really lost much in the last month. I have been doing a lot of research and found that I am most likely not eating enough, and I eat more than 1200 daily. I am going to try to NET close to my BMR for a few weeks and see how that works, I would suggest that for you too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I am worried I will not lose weight if I eat my exercise cals

I am a 52 year old woman. I am athletic in that I weight train and run M, W, F, and then do the stationary bike on T, TH, Sun, along with alternating walking and the elliptical, and sometimes on Saturday I don't do anything but a leisurely walk. Because I am almost to goal I have 1,670 calories BEFORE EXERCISE to fulfill, but I generally burn about 400-500 calories in each exercise session. This gives me a total calorie allowance of approximately 2,000-2,100 calories per day. I eat as close to my goal as I can because I want to continue exercising like I do. I love to exercise, as it sets up my entire day. I eat as much of my exercise calories back as I can and I am losing weight.

1,200 is too few if you are exercising, and losing 10 pounds at 2 pounds a week is aggressive. If I were you I'd change my goals to .5 pounds a week.

That said, two weeks is nothing. I've went two or three weeks without dropping a pound. It's simply natural. Weight loss is not linear and sometimes you just need to stay off the scale for a bit.

Also, there still is the possibility that you could be eating more than you think you are.

Try and stay patient. :smile: