running question

I want to start running but the only time i would get to run is in the evenings but i dont want to run alone when its dark, i was wondering if i did laps in the garden if i would get the same results as running on the street???
My garen is not very long or wide but i could run up and down it like a beep test lol (cant afford to go gym either)

Replies

• Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Running because you want to run or running for weight loss? If the latter then you might get more benefit from short sprints. Google "HIIT sprints" or "interval sprints"
    They will make you want to die every time you do them, but they work better for fat burning than long, steady runs.
    Plus they can be done in a garden, or on a very short stretch of road.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Laps will be ok, but will eventually get boring. If you are new to running the free C25K podcasts are good and help you build up gradually. Also, if you have a smart phone Mi Coach is a good app. Ping me a friend request if you'd like a virtual running pal :flowerforyou:
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Running because you want to run or running for weight loss? If the latter then you might get more benefit from short sprints. Google "HIIT sprints" or "interval sprints"
    They will make you want to die every time you do them, but they work better for fat burning than long, steady runs.
    Plus they can be done in a garden, or on a very short stretch of road.

Yeah i am wanting to do it to aid weight loss and to get fit, how do you do the sprint thingys (am totally clueless when it comes to exercise sorry)
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Well then you have come to the right place!
    Here is an article to get you started: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/30sec_sprints.htm
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    why are you afraid of the dark?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Yes you could run round your garden but why not run when its dark. I run every evening and it gets dark here at 5pm and I love it. Just make sure you wear some bright clothing with reflective piping and you are set.
  • chezzabelle82
    why are you afraid of the dark?

I am not afraid of it the area we live in gets a bit dogdy at night and dont feel safe running alone incase anything happens to me also i dont have anyone to run with as hubby would be at home looking after the kids
  • Running in the morning is mostly preferable than evening. If you wanna reduce fat then run in the morning and I think you don't need any person for this week.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Find a local running club a lot of them have beginners groups that go out together.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    I can't think of anything worse than running laps in my garden.
  • chezzabelle82
    Running in the morning is mostly preferable than evening. If you wanna reduce fat then run in the morning and I think you don't need any person for this week.
    Oh man i dont have childcare for mornings :-(
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    I'm lucky that my husband took up running purely because he didn't want me running alone in the dark and is normally free to come with me, but I see your point. In winter if he can't run I don't run. I would probably find someone to run with. Is there a friend or family member nearby that would run with you or do as someone else suggested and join a local running club? Although to be honest while cycling home I've found most the youths I was scared of are actually rather polite and apologise if they are in the way. Still unsure why I will cycle all be in the dark, yet won't run in the dark!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    I tried to look up your ward... You near Croydon by any chance? If so you're spoiled for running clubs...

http://www.stridersofcroydon.org.uk

http://www.croydonharriers.com

and a women's only running club...

http://www.croydon-running-sisters.org.uk
  • why are you afraid of the dark?

I am not afraid of it the area we live in gets a bit dogdy at night and dont feel safe running alone incase anything happens to me also i dont have anyone to run with as hubby would be at home looking after the kids

I love running in the dark, early in the morning but i do take a friend with me....his name is Beretta 9mm
  • why are you afraid of the dark?

I love running in the dark, early in the morning but i do take a friend with me....his name is Beretta 9mm

The OP is in the UK and as far as I understood she wanted to get fit, not arrested.

Well i have a license to carry so its not illegal for me
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Get a flash light and pepper spray!
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    I think that running circles in your garden will last like a week. It's boring as hell and will be tough on your knees from changing direction all the time.

You have a few solutions:
    1) Wake up early and do it in the morning
    2) Join a gym and run on the treadmill
    3) Don't run

As for HIIT, that's not bad advise per se, but it's ineffective if you haven't built a base where you can maintain a slow jog inbetween intervals. I would recommend doing something like couch to 5k in order to build up a base, then start incorporating interval work 2x-3x a week in order to build speed.

When you exercise, choose routines that will maximize performance gains, not ones that advertise maximizing weight loss. The weight loss will follow on its own as you improve your physical fitness.
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Pepper spray is also classed as an offensive weapon in the UK. In fact you could get a license to carry a gun (although not sure defending yourself against hoodies is on the licensing form) but not for the pepper spray.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Have you looked into any running clubs where you are? My best friend lives in the UK (though I'm not familiar with UK geography) and she belonged to one run club that did one weeknight run and one Saturday run. She now heads a running club, but is only for employees/students where she works.

Otherwise, what about just starting running on Saturdays and Sundays? Two days a week is better than none!
  • chezzabelle82
    I tried to look up your ward... You near Croydon by any chance? If so you're spoiled for running clubs...

http://www.stridersofcroydon.org.uk

http://www.croydonharriers.com

and a women's only running club...

http://www.croydon-running-sisters.org.uk

Thanks for that but i am near heathrow havent had a chance to check out running clubs yet but know bushy park do a free run every sat as hubby used to do it and if he aint gonna go anymore i should go instead as once a week, just find it hard fitting in excerise (as still wanna lose weight and get fit) with the kids and not enough (spare) money to join the gym :-(
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Well, if you are just looking for a convenient exercise program, there are tons of things out there that you could do in the house. If your heart is set on running, do you have a dog by any chance? Could you borrow one from a neighbor?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Running in the morning is mostly preferable than evening. If you wanna reduce fat then run in the morning and I think you don't need any person for this week.

Uh, no.

You can "reduce fat" any time that you exercise. Exercise should be done when it works best for the individual.

If getting out to run is difficult for you, have you considered doing at-home workouts? Get some dvds from your library or the store - you can usually get them pretty cheap on Amazon. Look into the program "You Are Your Own Gym". It's a great body-weight exercise program with very, very limited equipment required.

Running is great and you should do it if you *want* to, but there are tons of other ways to exercise that may fit your needs.