2014 Warrior Dash

Options
Today I signed myself, my son and daughter, and my future son-in-law for the North Carolina Warrior Dash on May 17th. Last year it was just my son and I and he might ask a few of his friends to join us. We picked the 9:30 AM start to avoid the heat of the day. As usual I have two goals, beat my boy (lost by 3-4 minutes last year) and improve my place in my age group (11th last year).

Anyone else participating in a Warrior Dash next year, what state and date?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I want to so badly! Whether I do it or not depends on if someone can watch the baby, though. I would like to do it with my husband, but it would require getting a babysitter. The one in Austin, TX is in March, I believe.
  • wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Best way to improve your time is to sign up for early start time...course gets worse and worse as more waves are released. Sloppy course does make for more fun though, just depends what you are going for. Have fun!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I ran it this past year, and second the recommendation to run it earlier if possible. I ran it at 11AM and by then, the course was a mess, partially because it rained the night before and because of the sheer volume of runners.

Also, I found that most, if not all, of the obstacles had incredibly long lines, so hopefully this won't be a problem with an earlier start time.

Good luck!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Agree with getting the earlier time, that is why I signed up now and not later. Also the bonus of getting the cheapest rate of $45.

Last year I signed up a little later, cost me $10 more and the earliest heat I could get was 11 am. Just going through the registration line in the morning took over 45 minutes! We were fortunate to have a dry day so the course never got real messy except for the mud pit. We didn't run into lines at the obstacles either so my time was pretty good but plenty of room for improvement.

So tips are: sign up early to get the best price, pick an early heat time to get best time, assume you are sacrificing your shoes!
  • Kylemalone00
    Kylemalone00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for the one on may 17 here in oklahoma. I signed up early for the 9:30 heat. The whole reason im trying to drop weight is to do this. This is going to be fun!
  • emergencyninja
    emergencyninja Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Indiana Warrior Dash. It is Sept. 6, 2014. This will be my first year but I've been wanting to for a couple years. I am very excited and It's still 8 mo. away.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just a Chicago thing, but I've been waiting for the registrations to those early-in-the-day wave times to open. If I register early to save money, the only waves available to register for are after 3 p.m., when the course will definitely be sloppy. Not to mention the fact that I have so much more motivation to run earlier in the morning... I'm waiting for the good waves to open.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I did it last year in the Poconos, but it wasn't my favorite. I also did Rugged Maniac last year and intend on participating in that again, but I'm not sure about warrior dash.
  • Kylemalone00
    Kylemalone00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well im down 20lbs from when i started this and been walking about 6 miles everyweekend! Gonna start to run this weekend. The closer this gets the more excited i am!
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I think I may sign up for it!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've done the one in Jackson, MS the past two years. The key for me isn't finishing faster or beating anyone, but working with those running with me and finishing as a team. That's what makes it fun for me.