Petite Weight loss

Options
I'm a 5'3 20-year-old female with a weight-loss problem. In May I weighed about 103, which I had been for the past year and a half prior and was very content with. I consumed a net of 1200 calories a day and would add whatever I burned off exercising. I felt great. Over the summer, however, I had a nutritionist (recommended to her because of a stress fracture) put me on a 1500 calorie a day base. I gained weight fast, and by the end of july I weighed 117. I have NO idea how this happened so fast and am getting really frustrated because I have not been able to lose the weight. Since August I've been eating a base of 1200 calories but nothing has helped. I feel groggy and none of my clothes fit anymore.

I think it is due to the fact that, since I'm petite, my body really didn't like consuming 1500 calories calories a day (I always felt stuffed). Do any other petites out there find that consuming fewer than 1200 calories helped them lose weight in a healthy way?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you've truly been eating 1200 calories, you would have lost weight. You're likely under estimating your intake, or over estimating your calorie burns. (assume you eat back exercise calories).
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly petite, but my girlfriend is about exactly the same size as you. She had similar weak bone issues and solved them through adding a day or two of strength training to her routine. Basically you were eating at just exactly what your body needed to maintain, but there was no extra to go into things like strengthening bones and building muscle. Since you never required it of your body, it prioritized those calories elsewhere. Add a few days of heavy strength work and your body will start building bone mass and adding lean muscle. WARNING: The number on the scale might actually go up a little bit because lean muscle is more dense than fat, but you will look and feel better.

Here is an article on the subject: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'3", but I can't survive for long on 1200 calories a day. I was sent to the ER for Bradycardia when averaging around 1600. I would suggest strength training and circuit training, along with maintenance level calories. It may take time to figure out what that number is, but it should be well over 1200. My maintenance is above 1950.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I can agree with Ian_Stuart.
    While I stand at just 4'9", I find that what keeps me happy is staying AS FAR AWAY FROM THE SCALE AS POSSIBLE. Go by how you feel, go by how you look (and be sure to take bloat, food consumption, etc in consideration because they will make you look different) . I was diagnosed with a low scale osteoperosis and began lifting some weights. Not only has it improved bone strength for me, but I am no longer "skinny fat ", despite weighing more on the scale
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    hi im 4'11 and up until 2 years ago didn't think i could ever be fit. no diet worked. then i found weights. i now eat 3 BIG meals a day. tend to be some kinda meat and some kinda green veg. i also have sweet potato or root veg on workout days. I'm now never hungry but more importantly my body changes slightly every week. really consider hitting the weights!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    103 lbs isn't really a healthy weight for your height to start with so trying to maintain that would be a huge struggle now that you aren't a teen anymore. Instead of trying to starve weight off that you don't need to lose how about trying some strength training to make yourself look good with nice toned muscles?
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I agree with the poster(s) that said your weight is a good weight for your height. However, if you are eating 1200 calories you should be losing weight unless you have some underlying medical condition. If you truly are eating only 1200, I would have your thyroid checked.
  • shengaliing
    shengaliing Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can only eat less than 1200 calories. I've been told numerous times that I need to eat at least 1200 calories and never go under this amount, however, at 1200 calories a day, I gain weight.