Diabetes Myths

Options
Just wanted to share this:
http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

There are many myths about diabetes that make it difficult for people to believe some of the hard facts – such as diabetes is a serious and potentially deadly disease. These myths can create a picture of diabetes that is not accurate and full of stereotypes and stigma.

Get the facts about diabetes and learn how you can stop diabetes myths and misconceptions.

Myth: Diabetes is not that serious of a disease.

Fact: If you manage your diabetes properly, you can prevent or delay diabetes complications. However, diabetes causes more deaths a year than breast cancer and AIDS combined. Two out of three people with diabetes die from heart disease or stroke.

Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes.

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight.

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: The answer is not so simple. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors.

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
fruit punch
fruit drinks
energy drinks
sports drinks
sweet tea
other sugary drinks.

These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

See for yourself:

Just one 12-ounce can of regular soda has about 150 calories and 40 grams of carbohydrate. This is the same amount of carbohydrate in 10 teaspoons of sugar!
One cup of fruit punch and other sugary fruit drinks have about 100 calories (or more) and 30 grams of carbohydrate.

Myth: People with diabetes should eat special diabetic foods.

Fact: A healthy meal plan for people with diabetes is generally the same as a healthy diet for anyone – low in fat (especially saturated and trans fat), moderate in salt and sugar, with meals based on whole grain foods, vegetables and fruit. Diabetic and "dietetic" foods generally offer no special benefit. Most of them still raise blood glucose levels, are usually more expensive and can also have a laxative effect if they contain sugar alcohols.

Myth: If you have diabetes, you should only eat small amounts of starchy foods, such as bread, potatoes and pasta.

Fact: Starchy foods can be part of a healthy meal plan, but portion size is key. Whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables like potatoes, yams, peas and corn can be included in your meals and snacks. Wondering how much carbohydrate you can have? A place to start is about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate per meal, or 3-4 servings of carbohydrate-containing foods. However, you may need more or less carbohydrate at meals depending on how you manage your diabetes. You and your health care team can figure out the right amount for you. Once you know how much carb to eat at a meal, choose your food and the portion size to match.

Myth: People with diabetes can't eat sweets or chocolate.

Fact: If eaten as part of a healthy meal plan, or combined with exercise, sweets and desserts can be eaten by people with diabetes. They are no more "off limits" to people with diabetes than they are to people without diabetes. The key to sweets is to have a very small portion and save them for special occasions so you focus your meal on more healthful foods.

Myth: You can catch diabetes from someone else.

Fact: No. Although we don’t know exactly why some people develop diabetes, we know diabetes is not contagious. It can't be caught like a cold or flu. There seems to be some genetic link in diabetes, particularly type 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors also play a part.

Myth: People with diabetes are more likely to get colds and other illnesses.

Fact: You are no more likely to get a cold or another illness if you have diabetes. However, people with diabetes are advised to get flu shots. This is because any illness can make diabetes more difficult to control, and people with diabetes who do get the flu are more likely than others to go on to develop serious complications.

Myth: If you have type 2 diabetes and your doctor says you need to start using insulin, it means you're failing to take care of your diabetes properly.

Fact: For most people, type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease. When first diagnosed, many people with type 2 diabetes can keep their blood glucose at a healthy level with oral medications. But over time, the body gradually produces less and less of its own insulin, and eventually oral medications may not be enough to keep blood glucose levels normal. Using insulin to get blood glucose levels to a healthy level is a good thing, not a bad one.

Myth: Fruit is a healthy food. Therefore, it is ok to eat as much of it as you wish.

Fact: Fruit is a healthy food. It contains fiber and lots of vitamins and minerals. Because fruits contain carbohydrates, they need to be included in your meal plan. Talk to your dietitian about the amount, frequency and types of fruits you should eat.

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for posting this link. We hear so many conflicting recommendations about diabetes, it's important to learn as much as we can and talk with our health care team about the best treatment for us individually.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post
  • swet02
    swet02 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for posting this link. We hear so many conflicting recommendations about diabetes, it's important to learn as much as we can and talk with our health care team about the best treatment for us individually.

I agree, I myself have different beliefs before and this article just change everything.

Bottomline:

Eat everything in moderation, Watch what we eat. We do not have to deprive our selves of food. We just have to control. :)
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I like your philosophy, and I'm glad you're open to new ideas and knowledge. ~Lynn @Glucerna
  • manders7969
    manders7969 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Myth: People with diabetes should eat special diabetic foods.

Fact: A healthy meal plan for people with diabetes is generally the same as a healthy diet for anyone – low in fat (especially saturated and trans fat), moderate in salt and sugar, with meals based on whole grain foods, vegetables and fruit. Diabetic and "dietetic" foods generally offer no special benefit. Most of them still raise blood glucose levels, are usually more expensive and can also have a laxative effect if they contain sugar alcohols.

My dad has had diabetes for 30 years, his cousin for 42, they are less than a year apart in age. While cousin Debbie ate healthy and exercised, my daddy ate a candy bar or a plate full of desserts then shot up extra insulin. I have seen him when his blood sugar level was down to 34 and when it was as high as the 600s. It's a miracle he is still alive. In October of 2011 he started paratoneal dialysis. In January of 2012 he had a quadruple by-pass. In September of 2012 he had to have his leg amputated. The day after his amputation he became very sick. He ended up in ICU and had to have emergency surgery because he got an infection in his paratoneal cavity. He spent 40 days in the hospital and even longer in a rehab facility. Because of the infection he can no longer do paratoneal dialysis and now goes to the hospital 3 days a week to sit through 4 hours of hemo dialysis. Debbie has never had any major complications from her diabetes. Diabetes is not about giving up 'all the good stuff'. Moderation is the key.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that about your dad. My mom was diagnosed at 33. She did not take care of herself either. She had a triple bypass at 44, multiple foot/toe amputations because she refused to let them take her legs, even though she has been in a wheelchair for years. A major heart attack 2 years ago that she really should not have survived (revived 27x in 2 days) but now has a pacemaker/defibrillator, 15% heart function and 25% kidney function and will soon go on dialysis. She also lost an eye 6 years ago. She's 57 now but her health age is around 80.

It's that serious. I'm 32 and just diagnosed. I pray I can do better than she did.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    another myth...

Diabetics should change their insulin on their own.....

the most dangerous myth out there.
  • manders7969
    Options
    I have always been scared of getting it because I was afraid I would be just like my dad. I love sweets! When I started my weight loss journey I quit drinking soda the first week and lost 5lbs. The next week I drank some soda and gained 3lbs back. The next week I cut out soda and just about all other sweets and started walking and doing Wii Fit at home. I lost 9lbs that week. Giving up sugar has been way easier than I ever thought it would be and I'm glad I did it now instead of waiting until I ended up with diabetes. It is so bad on my dad's side of the family so we have always expected at least one of his 4 kids to get it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    very good site needs a bump
  • wimpywrx
    wimpywrx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It great to see the myths put out there and the truths to dispel them. One thing for sure is in the 10 days i have been on MFP my bloods have been between 4.4 and 6.2 every day. which is a big drop from the 14 average that it used to be,

New truth MFP helps control type 2 Diabetes. FACT!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    congratulations on the loweer blood sugar levels! ~Lynn/Glucerna
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    great post :-)

another little titbit of info, if you are pregnant and over weight you have a higher risk factor of developing gestational diabetes. If you develop gestational diabetes you are at risk of developing type II diabetes.
  • swet02
    swet02 Posts: 52
    Options
    Glad you like this guys. Last time I checked my blood sugar was 10, that was months ago and have not check again since then because I was too afraid. 3 weeks ago, I enrolled myself into a health club, which I really love because before it was hard for me to do the diet on my own, but with my group, I am more willing to do it. And accepted what I really have right now. And finally doing something about it. I started quitting sodas, eating healthy meals, counting my caloric intake and do a half hour tae bo everyday. Ive never felt this great for quite sometime now.

I will be having my FBS again next week, hoping for better result. :)
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Good read. Thank You.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    another myth...

You mean change their type of insulin? Brand?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    another myth...

Changing the amount of insulin given at a meal or at night. For example, let's say that my glucose level are really high in the morning, and I think it is because I am not taking enough insulin at night. I decide to up my dosage from 17 units to 20 units.

The issue with that is that I am at an increased risk of low blood sugar during the night, which may be harder to detect.
  • wicksteve
    Options
    Manders...
    Thank you for your post about your dad and cousin. I am a newly diagnosed Diabetic with a 6.6 A1C, Fasting 106 Reading that determined it. I do not take medication and hope that I can continue to be medicine free for this. I have attended the mandatory Diabetic Group Class, the one-on-one Counselor Nurse and the one-on-one Dietitian Meetings. I am her eon MFP through advice from the Diabetic Staff Team that is helping me. Since the diagnose of Oct.6, 2013, I have lost 17 lbs per the recommendation of the Doctor (10% of body weight; my case that is 18 lb goal). I have one pound to go (and I then wish to continue on for my own personal reasons). The article above about myths is accurate from what I have just learned in the Diabetic Class. However, for me , I have six meals a day...portions at 30 carbs for the Main meals of the day (Breakfast, lunch and Dinner) and three snacks; one after each meal two hours later at 15 Carbs each. I am not deprived of my potato chips I love so much or a little piece of candy or 1/2 cup of ice cream, etc, The 'secret' to it, though, is to not eat it daily, have a small portion, and forget about it. I do. Sugar Free items are , as you say, mostly senseless...full of chemicals, non-nutritious and a waste of money, but I do use some, I do not like sugar much and up until I was about 45 I never ate it. Now at 66 and married 20 years to a man that loves sweets and is a Diabetic (Type 2) who , like your Dad, doesn't want to work at it anymore and is paying the price for that decision, I have found that some items like whip cream on strawberries needs a little sweetness, so I use a tablespoon of Sugar Free Land O Lakes Whip Cream for a good taste. Lite Cool Whip tends to leave artificial (false) teeth with a horrible chemical taste and the regular has too much fat.
    What you pointed out about your Dad's condition is correct re the health issue. My husband now walks with a cane, has Neuropathy , pain in his legs, etc, and no feeling from his feet to above his pelvic area (this destroys the male out of the man, if you get my drift) and he is just now starting a Kidney problem. He developed the Emergency Glaucoma that you instantly blind and had to have an operation on each eye and is fine now. He now also has a bad time controlling his blood sugars of course. He often buys the biggest Milky Way or Snickers Candy Bar he can find (equal to three regular bars), eats 4-6 scopes of ice cream in one sitting and every night until it is gone and he buys more. (I buy individual cups !/2 cup size...may eat 1/4 th of it at times). There isn't a cake or donut he will pass up and will eat six to my 1/6th slice of one. I stopped saying anything after the Dr insisted it was HIS disease, not mine and he had to control it.

My brother -in-law felt the same way. Today he is Disabled, walks with a cane and is Permanently Blind. He refused to give up his alcohol. However, three years ago he had no choice. An emergency stay in the Intensive Care Unit of the local Hospital and the loss of his sight now makes it impossible to even see a bottle of booze, even if he now wanted it,which he doesn't anymore. My sister (his wife), also a Diabetic, had to have an Operation for a Carotid Artery and later , a blood clot to her leg; now her weight has gone sky high and she is battling that problem. I watched an Aunt who refused to lose one pound and eventually had a leg removed. Within 6 months , the other leg was gone. Shortly thereafter she died, and she really didn't have to.

Now, of course I have it. And I watch all this and hopefully I will learn each lesson I see. I fear I will be a widow sooner than I wish but I can do nothing but keep the bills paid up and the Will up to date. It will kill me to lose my beloved but there is nothing I can do about the decisions he or my family make. so, I know how distressing this is for you with your father's condition. I do thank you for telling us about your cousin who IS working the program and has for years. It gives us hope and inspiration to keep doing what we have to do to work ours and try to have the best life we are able. Love, Wick :flowerforyou:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this article. I just got diagnosed with mild pre-diabetes and am going to do whatever I can to manage it and reverse it. This is very helpful.
  • manders7969
    Options
    Manders...
    Thank you for your post about your dad and cousin. I am a newly diagnosed Diabetic with a 6.6 A1C, Fasting 106 Reading that determined it. I do not take medication and hope that I can continue to be medicine free for this. I have attended the mandatory Diabetic Group Class, the one-on-one Counselor Nurse and the one-on-one Dietitian Meetings. I am her eon MFP through advice from the Diabetic Staff Team that is helping me. Since the diagnose of Oct.6, 2013, I have lost 17 lbs per the recommendation of the Doctor (10% of body weight; my case that is 18 lb goal). I have one pound to go (and I then wish to continue on for my own personal reasons). The article above about myths is accurate from what I have just learned in the Diabetic Class. However, for me , I have six meals a day...portions at 30 carbs for the Main meals of the day (Breakfast, lunch and Dinner) and three snacks; one after each meal two hours later at 15 Carbs each. I am not deprived of my potato chips I love so much or a little piece of candy or 1/2 cup of ice cream, etc, The 'secret' to it, though, is to not eat it daily, have a small portion, and forget about it. I do. Sugar Free items are , as you say, mostly senseless...full of chemicals, non-nutritious and a waste of money, but I do use some, I do not like sugar much and up until I was about 45 I never ate it. Now at 66 and married 20 years to a man that loves sweets and is a Diabetic (Type 2) who , like your Dad, doesn't want to work at it anymore and is paying the price for that decision, I have found that some items like whip cream on strawberries needs a little sweetness, so I use a tablespoon of Sugar Free Land O Lakes Whip Cream for a good taste. Lite Cool Whip tends to leave artificial (false) teeth with a horrible chemical taste and the regular has too much fat.
    What you pointed out about your Dad's condition is correct re the health issue. My husband now walks with a cane, has Neuropathy , pain in his legs, etc, and no feeling from his feet to above his pelvic area (this destroys the male out of the man, if you get my drift) and he is just now starting a Kidney problem. He developed the Emergency Glaucoma that you instantly blind and had to have an operation on each eye and is fine now. He now also has a bad time controlling his blood sugars of course. He often buys the biggest Milky Way or Snickers Candy Bar he can find (equal to three regular bars), eats 4-6 scopes of ice cream in one sitting and every night until it is gone and he buys more. (I buy individual cups !/2 cup size...may eat 1/4 th of it at times). There isn't a cake or donut he will pass up and will eat six to my 1/6th slice of one. I stopped saying anything after the Dr insisted it was HIS disease, not mine and he had to control it.

My brother -in-law felt the same way. Today he is Disabled, walks with a cane and is Permanently Blind. He refused to give up his alcohol. However, three years ago he had no choice. An emergency stay in the Intensive Care Unit of the local Hospital and the loss of his sight now makes it impossible to even see a bottle of booze, even if he now wanted it,which he doesn't anymore. My sister (his wife), also a Diabetic, had to have an Operation for a Carotid Artery and later , a blood clot to her leg; now her weight has gone sky high and she is battling that problem. I watched an Aunt who refused to lose one pound and eventually had a leg removed. Within 6 months , the other leg was gone. Shortly thereafter she died, and she really didn't have to.

Now, of course I have it. And I watch all this and hopefully I will learn each lesson I see. I fear I will be a widow sooner than I wish but I can do nothing but keep the bills paid up and the Will up to date. It will kill me to lose my beloved but there is nothing I can do about the decisions he or my family make. so, I know how distressing this is for you with your father's condition. I do thank you for telling us about your cousin who IS working the program and has for years. It gives us hope and inspiration to keep doing what we have to do to work ours and try to have the best life we are able. Love, Wick :flowerforyou:

It is so hard to watch someone you love destroy their body like that. My dad and his wife's biggest problem is she tries to control everything he eats and "nags" him constantly. He is hard headed and doesn't want anyone telling him what to do. I know she does it out of love but I think it only makes things worse. He has done much better since his "wake up call" last year. Had a minor set back 2 weeks ago because he over did it on fluids and ended up in the ER with them thinking he was having a major heart attack and wanting to operate, again. He was just retaining so much fliud it was putting pressure on his chest and he couldn't breath. Because of the years of controlling diabetes his way he now has to watch everything that goes into his body. When daddy's heart dr came in this time, he told them there would be no more operations. They did a heart cath because his enzymes levels were high and they thought there was some new damage. The dr said he would try to do another stint but if that didn't work it would just be a matter of time. Praise God they found no new damage! Best of luck and prayers for your journey.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    another myth...

No their dosage. I see a lot of diabetics who "fool" around with their dosages based on how they feel..which can be deadly. They are not doctors and obviously do not understand the long term dangers of this.