PMS weight gain and frustration!

Options
Over the last few months I have noticed that about 1-2 weeks before I am supposed to get my period, my weight goes up 3-4 pounds. This is in part due to constipation and probably also due to water. And then the week after I drop almost overnight to my original weight.

I'm really frustrated about this, because there will just be one morning when I feel all of a sudden so bloated and heavy. Any remedies for this?

Replies

• ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water will help, but what you're describing is very normal. Being a woman sucks sometimes! If you are discouraged by the scale, I would think that taking your measurements may help instead of relying solely on the scale during those couple of weeks. As a last resort, perhaps you may benefit from weighing in a couple times a month rather than every week. Don't let water weight discourage you!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Welcome to womanhood

*hugs* it ain't easy

:flowerforyou:
  • mmc23
    mmc23 Posts: 42
    Options
    Perfectly normal... I get seven or eight pounds myself. I just don't weigh myself during that week when I know that is the reason, it will be gone soon enough. Hang in there!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Coffee and low sodium. Water follows sodium, so if you want to reduce (or at least try) to reduce some of the water retention, cut out sodium and drink some coffee to diuresis the water off.

If it helps, perhaps just remember that it's water (because really, weight fluctuations on a day to day basis are nothing BUT water), and that can come off or on easily with hormone shifts, food the previous day, or other things. Weight is not a true measure of anything except hydration, especially when done every single day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes totally normal. I don't even weigh myself before my period anymore. Today is my second day and I'm back to the weight I was before though, so personally I lose the water weight pretty quickly.. then start losing more.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh, take inches, judge myself at all- the weeks around my period. There is no point in it IMHO. I gain like 8 pounds and a ton of inches all over from being bloated (and I'm very low sodium GENERALLY--i do slip up :P) I had never even noticed in the past, until one weigh day- after busting my *kitten* all week- I gained a ton of weight. Not muscle (impossible to be ALL that) and my scale also breaks it down (but doesn't mention water weight...just muscle/fat/bmi etc). A week later, I lost it all, plus 2 pounds, and 6 inches all over.

This is WITH being on the pill (supposed to be "milder pms" but I still get it)

Also, I had read that people on the pill, as well as peri-menopausal women, lack the progesterone aspect of the period cycle as strongly and therefore are imbalanced and VERY estrogenated (< new word i made), thus making the fat burning part of ovulation pretty much non-existent. Obviously, this will not affect long term weight loss- but it can make for a ugly feeling week.

I learned to weigh once a month...I chose the week where I am well over my period but not about to start that whole deal of PMS yet. That ONE free week! (also my clear skin week and my most energy week---go figure)

I may hop on the scale another time, but I don't log that or judge by it. I just regulate to see if I'm still having such intense bloating and whatnot.

Don't get down on yourself! Like another poster said, it just sucks sometimes!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's probably been happening since puberty, you're just noticing it now because you're paying attention to your weight.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Sometimes when it is really bad I will take some pamabrom (OTC diuretic) to relieve some of the pain, but usually I just wait it out. I have learned to try and not judge my weight results before a period. It's hard to remember sometimes and I get upset reading the scale, then I think, "oh, yeah, THAT."
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Since I never know when mine will be (it changes monthly), I always feel a little relieved when I get it. I'm always like, no wonder I'm all *****y and bloated! And then you can look forward to when you lose that weight back. At least you do and it doesn't stay. I didn't know about the water thing helping. I think I will try next time.
  • germanshepsrule
    Options
    i can gain 3-4llbs too , i end up craving 'bad' food, especially coffee and sugar . I usually take Aquaban for a few days, they work really well.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Personally don't mind the weight gain as it's like a signal that it is coming. I will be concern if it it does not come.
    Just don't like the chocolate cravings that comes with it though. My will is weak against it.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Unfortunately nothing can be done its just a normal thing a woman goes through I personally wont go near my scales a week before I get them
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Just for giggles, I decided to weigh myself every day first thing in the morning for 2 whole months (for comparison purposes) I discovered quite a bit during that 2 months, including that for 2 months in a row 3 days before shark week I was up 7 lbs. 2 days into shark week i was back to normal. Didn't matter how much water I drank, what I ate, nothing! Sucks, but on the bright side we can make tiny people so that's pretty cool!
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal and it goes away. There's no reason to be bothered by the temporary weight gain.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    When I PMS my weight on the scale can sky rocket up to 12lbs lol

And that is one of the reasons I do not ever use a scale anymore. I weight myself once in a blue moon
  • NikkiRios
    NikkiRios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is totally normal. I just try not to get on the scale during that time and make sure to drink a lot of water.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Any remedies for this?

Nope. It's called being a woman. I don't even bother with the scale around this time anymore. I just eat right, give into my cravings a little (within my calorie goals), drink a ton of water, exercise and when it's over I'm back to where I was.
  • cdanie13
    cdanie13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I actually avoid the scale and taking inches until it's over because I "gain" roughly 2-5 pounds and I'm bloated. But I continue to eat healthy, work out and drink tons and tons of water. By the time it goes off I have lost those "period pounds" and sometimes another real pound! Stay encouraged :flowerforyou:!!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I learned to weigh once a month...I chose the week where I am well over my period but not about to start that whole deal of PMS yet. That ONE free week! (also my clear skin week and my most energy week---go figure)

I'm so much stronger that one free week too! I can up my weights in strength training and I get all excited that I'm improving......until later in the month I realize oh, fake gains.