Is breakfast really that important?

Options
I know they say it's the most important meal of the day. I also know that they say if you don't eat breakfast that you will binge on junk food later on in the day. But that's not true for me. If I eat breakfast, then I just want to eat lunch right away and after lunch I'm starving two hours later and I eat a lot of snacks and eat a bigger dinner than I should. If I just have my coffee in the morning, my portions are much more controlled for lunch and dinner and I have smaller snacks. On average, I eat about 300 to 400 more calories per day if I eat breakfast then if I don't and tend to make poorer food choices. Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    to me it is...because I love breakfast. Other than that, meal timing and frequency are irrelevant. also, "they" say a lot of things....most of which "they" no nothing about. take what "they" say with a large grain of salt.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    meal timing and frequency are irrelevant.

this. I rarely eat breakfast because I'd rather have late night snacks, I'm like a raccoon lol
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It is for me. I can't function well if I don't eat a balanced (protein/fat/carbs) breakfast. But we are all different and some people reported the same problem that you have.

Try to eat something light, like a toast and a soft boiled egg or greek yogurt and see how you feel. If it doesn't work, then just eat more calories for lunch.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I know they say it's the most important meal of the day. I also know that they say if you don't eat breakfast that you will binge on junk food later on in the day. But that's not true for me. If I eat breakfast, then I just want to eat lunch right away and after lunch I'm starving two hours later and I eat a lot of snacks and eat a bigger dinner than I should. If I just have my coffee in the morning, my portions are much more controlled for lunch and dinner and I have smaller snacks. On average, I eat about 300 to 400 more calories per day if I eat breakfast then if I don't and tend to make poorer food choices. Does anyone else feel this way?

You seem to have found what works for you. Congratulations!

"They" are full of what is known as "BroScience." AKA BS.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is of very little importance. The traditional "breakfast" isn't needed. It's solely a personal preference thing.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Nope. I skip it every day. I also run 4 miles every morning. Never affected my endurance and gives me more calories to save for later in the day when im actually hungry.
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, timing doesn't matter at all. Sometimes my first meal is at 10 am and some days its at 4 pm, it depends on when I woke up, how much sleep I've gotten, how active I am, etc.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options

If you read books on the 5:2 plan and Intermittent Fasting... It's been proven that breakfast can actually be at noon and allow you to burn fat all morning long.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    no /thread
  • babeontherun
    Options
    Do what works for you. Everyone is different.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Everyone is different.

^^ This. Sometimes I wake up starving and can't wait for breakfast. Sometimes I have some coffee and don't want a big morning meal, sometimes I wake up and don't eat until lunch time. I just eat when I'm hungry, I don't stick to a perfectly timed schedule when it comes to food.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Different for everyone. It is for me as I eat breakfast then go for a 20+ mile cycle. Wouldn't get far if I didn't have anything.
    If you don't need that fuel for a workout, or you exercise later in the day after lunch or dinner then you'd be fine skipping it.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You have answered you own question. No breakfast works for you so keep working it! For me, I'm the opposite so I have my oatmeal. To each his own.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    No, it's not
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is of very little importance. The traditional "breakfast" isn't needed. It's solely a personal preference thing.

QFT!!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Breakfast = Break Fast = Breaking the fast. You can Break the fast at whatever time you want wether it's 6am or 1:30pm
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I usually make a green smoothie (spinach, celery / cucumber, frozen fruit and water ) and have that for bfast. It satisfies me and keeps me full till lunch.