Peanut Butter - How to measure it?

Options
GoRun2
GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
How do you measure peanut butter? I read that if you eyeball it, you will underestimate it. However if you put it in a measuring spoon, it seems that a lot will stay in the spoon. How do you level the spoon?

I figure that someone has figured this out.

Replies

• CptJinxx
    CptJinxx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing peanut butter is a NO NO. Peanut butter is deceiving!

I personally use a digital kitchen scale for that matter.
    Place jar on scale, turn on scale so it reads a zero, spoon out some peanut butter, the scale then reads grams in minus, which is how much I spooned out.

You have to be smarter than peanut butter.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    there's peanut butter left on the spoon afterwards???? How does that happen?? I've never seen this phenomena...
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Place jar on scale, turn on scale so it reads a zero, spoon out some peanut butter, the scale then reads grams in minus, which is how much I spooned out.

I do this, or i place the spoon on the scale, zero the scale, scoop peanut butter with spoon, and then place on scale.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options

• ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Spray the spoon with cooking spray.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    food scale...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    there's peanut butter left on the spoon afterwards???? How does that happen?? I've never seen this phenomena...

Me either, spoon usually goes in mouth 'til it is cleaner than when it was before I scooped out the PB.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This is the easiest way to weigh peanut butter... no muss no fuss! Weigh your open jar of peanut butter, zero out the scale (set tare). Take whatever, then remeasure the jar, this is your serving in grams.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I use a tablespoon, and a small spatula to clear as much out/off of my spoon as possible. When that is done, I insert measuring spoon into my mouth and proceed to make out with it until it's clean enough to wipe on my jeans and put it back in the drawer.
  • CptJinxx
    CptJinxx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Me either, spoon usually goes in mouth 'til it is cleaner than when it was before I scooped out the PB.

Maybe he's not eating it off the spoon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This is the easiest way to weigh peanut butter... no muss no fuss! Weigh your open jar of peanut butter, zero out the scale (set tare). Take whatever, then remeasure the jar, this is your serving in grams.

This. Or just leave the jar on the scale, and whatever is after the minus sign is what you've taken.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question?

Look on the label...somewhere there's a "serving size."

If that letter next to the number (corresponding to "serving size") is a "g," it's referring to "grams."

Place the amount of peanut butter you wish to eat on a food scale (I'll leave the details of how to acquire this item as an exercise for the reader).

Weigh the peanut butter, using the same standard of measurement (grams, if that was noted as the unit for the "serving size"), using the scale.

Calculate how many calories said peanut butter amounts to (this may require some advanced math), based on the relationship between what you weighed and the "serving size."

You are now done!

Note: Although I've tried to be as thorough as possible, some details always slip through the cracks. I apologize if this hasn't been appropriately helpful.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I do this, or i place the spoon on the scale, zero the scale, scoop peanut butter with spoon, and then place on scale.

THIS!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

I am not smarter than peanut butter. I now use a measuring spoon and level it across with another spoon. I would prefer to just use and ice cream scoop and fill it all the way...
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    gotta weigh it and then lick the spoon.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

^^ yep...this!!
  • sebshaw8
    sebshaw8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    measure by weight on a food scale. 32g is one serving and equals ~190 calories for most brands.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We use a digital scale and measure in grams. It works great for my kids too because then I know they're not eating half the jar in one sitting!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first. Then eat the peanut butter. Then weigh myself again. The difference is what the peanut butter must've weighed. Right? Amirite?
  • smallsadsam
    smallsadsam Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always weigh it. If I am having it on toast, I put the toast on the scale and zero it out, then spread the peanut butter to get my serving size in grams.