Cake calories?

Options
My boyfriend's birthday is this weekend. He's requested a classic yellow cake with chocolate icing. I'm not too concerned about this wrecking my progress... I'll work out a little longer and fit it into my calories.

That said, I purchased Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow mix. The box says I can sub four egg whites for the three eggs it calls for. It also says a slice is 250 calories prepared. Does anyone know how to calculate what the difference could be if I used egg whites?

I'd try to make a healthier cake, but I'm a terrible baker so I'll just suck it up this time! :laugh:

Replies

• cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    On that same label where you found the prepared data, they should also state the information for the mix only. Then just add in the rest of your ingredients to calculate it.
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't think it would be that simple... I was picturing complicated math formulas. :wink:
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Mmmm did you say chocolate frosting lol. Enjoy!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sometimes more is less. If you use less eggs ou will end up with a more dense cake which will have more calories per slice. Just came to point that out.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sometimes more is less. If you use less eggs ou will end up with a more dense cake which will have more calories per slice. Just came to point that out.

Huh?

If she uses a mix that has 1500 calories total and adds 500 worth of oil and eggs (I'm just using round numbers because I don't math often), that's 2000 calories. Cut into ten slices, and she has a cake that is 200 calories a slice.

If she uses a mix that has 1500 calories total and adds 300 worth of oil and eggs (no matter how dense it is), that's 1800 calories. Cut into ten slices, and it's 180 calories a slice.

Am I missing something?

The bit where you assume that having a denser cake means you cut a bigger slice because the denser cake looks smaller.

And lots of people do this if they're not conscious of and careful of the serving size, but it's not a given..