My body fat suggests I'm obese :-s

Options
2»

Replies

• tinatw
    tinatw Posts: 11
    Options
    Of all the gadgets I've bought for my fitness effort, my hand held bf% analyzer is the biggest waste of money.

I take weekly measurements with it still, even though I came to the conclusion that it was bollocks a couple of months ago. For comparison, I do a Bod Pod analysis every 30 pounds or so, just for comparison and validation, since the Bod Pod is regarded as fairly reliable. What I've noticed is that the hand held device underestimated fat when I started, significantly actually. Now it significantly overestimates fat, compared to Bod Pod and other techniques I use to verify (such as online bf% estimators).

Why I don't just throw it out I don't know. I certainly would advise anyone to not put stock in the results they got and would strongly try to dissuade anyone from spending their money on one.

Tina if you genuinely want to know your bf% then you can see if a Bod Pod is available in your area. DEXA scans are supposed to be good too, though perhaps more expensive.

It really sounds as though these things r a waste of time and money! I will defintely look into that, I know in reality it's not that important as I should really go by how I feel in myself well we all shoukd really but I am curious to know what my BF is roughly.

Thank you do much for you help :-)

X
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a caliper to measure my body fat % and I got a range of 18.6% - 20.2%. I was like WTF but as long as I continue working hard on my goal, I'm not allowing that number to discourage me.

Plus, those goddam things are not accurate anyway :wink:
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    Hello guys.

Basically i did my gym review the other day and they tested my body far with one of those hand held electrical body fat testers it said my body fat is 32% which suggests I'm obese. I'm 5'2 and weigh 8.3 and a dress size uk8 sometimes a uk6 and would say I'm fairly toned so I just don't get it does any one know if I can get a more accurate reading?

Thanks you

X

..did they immediately try to sell you some sort of product to "fix" the problem? It seems fishy. I can't prove it, but I think some gyms intentionally rig equipment to convince you that things are worse than they are. The scale at my gym reads 5 lbs higher than any other scale (including dr scale).

I understand it is more difficult to rig a meter, but I'm between 33-35% body fat. Look at my photos. You look nothing like me. Something doesn't add up. Check out the photos here to see bodies at different BF % http://www.healthygrad.org/body-fat-percentage/

**ETA: the full body photos are actually when I was in the 36-37% range, but besides slimming out just a bit in the middle, I look basically the same
  • doctorandrew
    Options
    You should try the Bod Pod. It analyzes your fat pretty accurately.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The handheld models really only measure upper body fat and depending on the model, may be really inaccurate. If everything in your profile pic is real, you might just have fat in right places.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the meantime you could try using the Navy Method, it involves using a tape measure and I personally believe that it is more accurate than those body fat scales!
    If you Google Navy method body fat you should find it.

I hope that helps a bit x
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you meant that to sound rude or not, I just wanted everyone's opinion as I have been told that it can be day around the organs etc even if physically I don't look fat and try to find a better way to measure body fat so i could get a more accurate reading.

Anyway thanks for your help

Tina

That was a super awesome way of oh so subtle-y putting your name out there for publicity. Nice!!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you meant that to sound rude or not, I just wanted everyone's opinion as I have been told that it can be day around the organs etc even if physically I don't look fat and try to find a better way to measure body fat so i could get a more accurate reading.

Tina

That was a super awesome way of oh so subtle-y putting your name out there for publicity. Nice!!

Annnnd now we know why this got posted.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Tina

I don't. Is the implication that she does cam shows or something?

If so, does anyone have the URL so I can sign up?
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Tina

I'm thinking she wanted to draw attention to herself with a ridiculous claim and then promote her profiles.

Also :angry:

No more cam shows for you!!!

:laugh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Tina

I'm thinking she wanted to draw attention to herself with a ridiculous claim and then promote her profiles.

Also :angry:

No more cam shows for you!!!

:laugh:

And now ninja mod edit.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    And now ninja mod edit.

:drinker:
  • andreacnixon
    Options
    Find a trainer in your area to do a BFT using calipers. Very accurate. Not hydro accurate, but really good. If I do BMI based on height and weight, i'm at 25%, which is considered overweight. I am however, at 17%, based on an actual testing.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I would go back to the guy who claimed they were very accurate.

Tell him you are going to your local university for a bod pod test. If his test is within 3% (which is huge) accuracy than you will buy him dinner. If not then he has to reimburse you for the cost of the test.

Betcha he wont take the bet and if he does you just got a free testing.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I feel so much better now it's just the fact that after he tested me he I actually asked how accurate they are and he was like "they are very accurate" I think it's terrible they can say things like this!

Yup the minute you hear someone say they are very accurate you know they arent accurate. All measuring devices have a margin of error.